SPLIT: How to say 3 volume Divine Office (UK)?

Any idea where I can find instructions on how to use Volume 3 Divine Office (UK)
Thankyou
God bless

aaa

At the start of Vol. 1 (Advent, Christmas and Weeks I - VI), you can find the General Instruction of the LOTH

Volume 3 covers weeks 6-34. So it will have all the prayers until Advent on 1 December 2013.

Say you begin on Wednesday 16 October 2013. It is an optional memorial. Use the option of not using prayers for the saint. It is week 28 of the year. It is Psalter Week 4.

Begin with the Office of Readings. Go to page [3]. Do not confuse this with page iii, 3 or 3*. Page [3] to [5] gives the beginning text. Then turn to page [435]. Pages [435] to [437] have the psalms. Then turn to page 643 near the front of the book. Do not confuse this with page 643* near the back of the book. Page 643 to 646 have the first and second reading. For the concluding prayer turn to page 834 and read the prayer under the heading “28”. Complete from page [8]. Then [14] for ending: “Let us praise the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.”

Next is Morning Prayer. Go to page [6] and read the “Introduction to Each Hour” section. Turn to page [437] for the Morning Prayer hymn and psalms. After you have read “Benedictus ant. Let us serve the Lord in holiness all our days.” on page [441] turn to page [10] and read The Benedictus. Then return to page [441] and read the antiphon again and continue. If needed the text of The Lord’s Prayer is on page [9]. The Concluding Prayer on page [442] is not complete. Turn to page [8] for the complete ending. Then turn to page [14] which has the blessing for a lay person.

Next is Prayer During the Day. It is usually prayed once. The text used depends on the time. I think 9 am - noon use before noon. Noon - 3 pm use Midday. 3 pm - 6 pm use Afternoon. Begin with page [6]. Then [442] to [446]. Then [14] for ending: “Let us praise the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.”

Next is Evening Prayer. Begin with page [6]. Then page [447] to page [450] Magnificat ant. Page [12] Magnificat. Page [450] to [451]. Complete concluding prayer page [8]. Blessing page [14].

Next is Night Prayer. Begin with page [6]. Turn to page [496] which describes the examination of conscience. Select a hymn from page 806* to 811* (near the back). Turn to page [506] for the Wednesday psalms. After the blessing on page [508] turn to page 812* to select a Final Anthem to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Thursday 17 October is the memorial of St Ignatius of Antioch. You can see this from the Calendar on page xxv. The General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours has instructions for this type of day in n. 235-236. It is at ewtn.com/library/curia/cdwgilh.htm .

Begin with the Office of Readings. Turn to page 338*. There is a proper second reading and concluding prayer. There is no proper invitatory for the saint. So there is a choice of invitatory antiphon to be used with pages [3] to [5].
A. the one for Week 4 Thursday.
B. the one for the Common of martyrs.
C. the one for the Common of Pastors.

I am choosing C where possible for this day, but note this is one option. Go to page 591* for the Invitatory Antiphon to use with pages [3] to [5]. Choose hymn 52 on page 779*. Turn to page [451] and read the Psalmody to page [454]. Turn to page 647 for First Reading. Turn to page 338* for the second reading. For the Concluding Prayer turn to page 340*. Complete from page [8]. Then [14] for ending: “Let us praise the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.”

Next is Morning Prayer. Go to page [6] and read the “Introduction to Each Hour” section. Choose hymn 53 on page 780*. Turn to page [454] for the psalms. Turn to page 605* for the Scripture Reading and Short Responsory. Turn to page 340* for the Benedictus Antiphon. Turn to page [10] and read The Benedictus. Then return to page 340* and read the antiphon again. Then page 605* for Intercessions. If needed the text of The Lord’s Prayer is on page [9]. The Concluding Prayer on page 340* is not complete. Turn to page [8] for the complete ending. Then turn to page [14] which has the blessing for a lay person.

Next is Prayer During the Day. Following n. 236 nothing is taken from the Office of the Saint. So pages [459] to [463]. Then [14] for ending: “Let us praise the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.”

Next is Evening Prayer. Begin with page [6]. Choose hymn 52 on page 779*. Then Psalmody page [463] to page [466]. Scripture page 611*. Magnificat ant page 340*. Page [12] Magnificat. Page 612* Intercessions. Page 340* Concluding prayer. Complete concluding prayer page [8]. Blessing page [14].

Next is Night Prayer. Following n. 236 nothing is taken from the Office of the Saint. Begin with page [6]. Turn to page [496] which describes the examination of conscience. Select a hymn from page 806* to 811*. Turn to page [509] for the Wednesday psalms. After the blessing on page [510] turn to page 812* to select a Final Anthem to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Friday 18 October is a feast, of Saint Luke.

Begin with the Office of Readings. Page 340* has the invitatory antiphon to use with pages [3] to [5]. Page 341* has “Hymn from psalter or appendix.” But following General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours n. 231 and n. 228 it should be from the Appendix. So 777* or 778* for the hymn. Psalmody pages 540* to 542*. After psalms turn to 341* for V and R and readings. Page [6] for Te Deum. Concluding prayer on 345*, complete from [8]. Ending from [14].

Next is Morning Prayer. Go to page [6] and read the “Introduction to Each Hour” section. Choose hymn 777* or 778*. Turn to page 344* for psalm antiphons. Turn to page [26] for the psalms. Turn to page 344* for the Scripture Reading, Short Responsory and Benedictus Antiphon. Turn to page [10] and read The Benedictus. Then return to page 345* and read the antiphon again and Intercessions. If needed the text of The Lord’s Prayer is on page [9]. The Concluding Prayer on page 345* is not complete. Turn to page [8] for the complete ending. Then turn to page [14] which has the blessing for a lay person.

Next is Prayer During the Day. Hymn and Psalmody [476] to [478]. Reading 346*. Then [14] for ending: “Let us praise the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.”

Next is Evening Prayer. Begin with page [6]. Choose hymn 777* or 778*. Then Psalmody page 548* with antiphons 347*. Scripture page 347*. Magnificat ant page 347*. Page [12] Magnificat. Page 347* Intercessions. Page 348* Concluding prayer. Complete concluding prayer page [8]. Blessing page [14].

Next is Night Prayer. Following n. 233 nothing is taken from the Office of the Saint. Begin with page [6]. Turn to page [496] which describes the examination of conscience. Select a hymn from page 806* to 811*. Turn to page [511] for the Friday psalms. After the blessing on page [513] turn to page 812* to select a Final Anthem to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

A book that may help is A Guide to Morning and Evening Prayer by Robert Taylerson, ISBN 9781860823091. I have described additional details, like when to sit and stand, at romanrite.com/hours.html .

I should have mentioned the Glory Be. Page [18] gives an example of how it should be used:

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

The doxology is said after each psalm and canticle unless otherwise noted.

Ant. Lord, let …

Thank you so much for that John. It is very confusing when there are so many pages but hopefully I will follow what you have put. Would my local parish Priest be able to guide me or would it be better to ask a Monk as I am hopefully going on retreat to Ampleforth, Benedictine Monastery next month. Thank you once again for your help. God bless

A parish priest will be familiar with the book. But he has a lot of responsibilities. So he may not have time to be providing complete training in how to say the prayers. The same may apply to a monk when you are on retreat. Of course you can always ask for assistance. But I would encourage you to try and learn it from the material above for Wednesday to Friday of this week.

Hi John,
I have been following what you told me and it is a great help, thank you :thumbsup::gopray2:. Also I am ordering the book A Guide to Morning and Evening Prayer by Robert Taylerson. I do have my Benedictine prayer book which includes morning and evening prayers, I also have a copy of Compline used by The Community at Ampleforth Abbey, which a Benedictine Priest kindly let me have. Hopefully when my guide book arrives I shall be able to pray TLOTH. Thanks again for your help. God bless.
Allan

Thanks for the update.

My head just exploded.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.