SPLIT: If confirmed in mortal sin does one need to be reconfirmed?

[quote="DavidFilmer, post:14, topic:240086"]
Indeed, Fr. Robert J. Levis seems to support the idea of deferred Grace. However, Father's opinions are less authoritative than the Catechism (though neither represent infallible doctrine).

When I was RCIA director, it was customary for the Elect to receive the Sacrament of Penance (which would include a lifetime confession) on Holy Saturday afternoon (they would be received and Confirmed the next morning). Being lifetime confessions, the priest usually allocated a half-hour for each of them. Given so little time between their Confession and their Confirmation, they were assumed to be in a state of Grace. So it seems the Church DOES operate on my understanding - otherwise the Confessions could be held a week or two in advance. Instead, they are held as close as practical to the rite of Confirmation.

I agree that I have never heard of a conditional Confirmation. I think the need for such would be rare, due to the proximity of the Confession. But, if deemed necessary, I am sure it would be handled in a private manner, to avoid public disgrace of the recipient.

And it's not "my understanding." It's the plain wording of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Well, the doctrine of the Church is not guaranteed not to confuse anybody. Especially people who are already confused in the first place.

No - the issue is the Sacramental validity of the recipient, not the minister.

[/quote]

I told preists I was not sure about my original baptisim. I begged for confession but they said no. I was intensly confused and experincing heavy persecution from non catholics, even protests. They called my bishop to protest me entering the church. but if I'm honest with myself I also intentionally lied on some points... I was confirmed in mortal sin for sure... I later confessed this but question what I did? The minister is not the question. What if someone baptised by Protestants years previous, living as an atheist, later agnostic finds their way. Who is possible experiencing obsession or possession comes into RCIA in sever state of mortal sin... Lies to avoid confession & is confirmed... What about this...

aaa

At my parish, all the candidates are to be Confirmed before confession. We will receive the sacrament of confession some time soon after being Confirmed. This means all us candidates will be receiving our first Holy Communion in a state of (for me anyway) mortal sin. I am not especially happy about it because I have read about how it is taking the Body of Christ unworthily, but that is the priest's decision :shrug::confused:

[quote="SilverCamellia, post:3, topic:316834"]
At my parish, all the candidates are to be Confirmed before confession. We will receive the sacrament of confession some time soon after being Confirmed. This means all us candidates will be receiving our first Holy Communion in a state of (for me anyway) mortal sin. I am not especially happy about it because I have read about how it is taking the Body of Christ unworthily, but that is the priest's decision :shrug::confused:

[/quote]

This is wrong. Those who are already baptized are required to make their first confession before receiving the other Sacraments. If a priest tells you to commit the sin of sacrilege, you should not obey him. I suggest that you seek out a priest to hear your confession so that you receive the Sacraments of initiation in a state of grace.

[/quote]

Assuming you are baptized, you can go to confession whenever you wish to go. If you have not been baptized, you will be baptized on Easter Vigil and would, therefore, have nothing to confess. Either way, you can make sure you take care of the situation.

Won't you receive Sanctifying Grace from the Sacrament of Confirmation? How, then, can you be in a state of mortal sin immediately afterwards?

[quote="Mariem2, post:6, topic:316834"]
Won't you receive Sanctifying Grace from the Sacrament of Confirmation? How, then, can you be in a state of mortal sin immediately afterwards?

[/quote]

If a baptized person is in a state of mortal sin, one must go to confession to be in a state of grace.

If confirmed in mortal sin does one need to be reconfirmed?

The answer to this question is no.

[/quote]

You may not receive unworthily and this needs to be remedied. No Priest can tell one to do such. There is a large misunderstanding here on someone's part.

[quote="Joshua_Shorter, post:5, topic:316834"]
Assuming you are baptized, you can go to confession whenever you wish to go. If you have not been baptized, you will be baptized on Easter Vigil and would, therefore, have nothing to confess. Either way, you can make sure you take care of the situation.

[/quote]

Yes. But our priest (there is only one) says he will set out a time for us to make our confessions and that he will give us a lot of help, so I don't want to do it elsewhere first. Perhaps I could discuss my concerns with him. I am already a baptised Catholic. There will be 9 of us who are to be Confirmed only; and one who is to be baptised and Confirmed.

[quote="1ke, post:8, topic:316834"]
If confirmed in mortal sin does one need to be reconfirmed?

The answer to this question is no.

[/quote]

Disclaimer: I am not saying you are wrong

Can you prove this? I can see the argument that if you went to confession then the priest offered absolution to you for all past sins. However, what if you intentionally misled the priest during confession?

Again, not saying you're wrong.

[quote="SilverCamellia, post:10, topic:316834"]
Yes. But our priest (there is only one) says he will set out a time for us to make our confessions and that he will give us a lot of help, so I don't want to do it elsewhere first. Perhaps I could discuss my concerns with him. I am already a baptised Catholic. There will be 9 of us who are to be Confirmed only; and one who is to be baptised and Confirmed.

[/quote]

Do not partake of the Eucharist before going to confession.

[/quote]

Again there is a large misunderstanding here.

Catechism:

1310 To receive Confirmation one must be in a state of grace. One should receive the sacrament of Penance in order to be cleansed for the gift of the Holy Spirit. More intense prayer should prepare one to receive the strength and graces of the Holy Spirit with docility and readiness to act.128

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a2.htm#III

[/quote]

Catechism:

1310 To receive Confirmation one must be in a state of grace. One should receive the sacrament of Penance in order to be cleansed for the gift of the Holy Spirit. More intense prayer should prepare one to receive the strength and graces of the Holy Spirit with docility and readiness to act.128

One may refer him to the Catechism.

[/quote]

I am not trying to undermine your priest but I believe, according to the CCC, this would be a major mistake.

If your priest tells you to commit the grave sin of sacrilege, you do not obey him. Hopefully, this is just a miscommunication.

Do we/can we judge the culpability of someone who is going through a conversion process, and coming into the Church?

Mortal sin requires 3 elements: grave matter, full knowledge and free consent.

Perhaps the priest in this case has valid reasons to believe that these particular candidates were not capable of full knowledge, and/or full consent to grave matter prior to their journey in RCIA.

Feelings of guilt do not necessarily equate to the amount of sinfulness - the more guilty I feel the more guilty I am.

[quote="Zekariya, post:16, topic:316834"]
If your priest tells you to commit the grave sin of sacrilege, you do not obey him. Hopefully, this is just a miscommunication.

[/quote]

He is not telling them to commit sacrilege. It is presumptuous to presume that.

[quote="triumphguy, post:18, topic:316834"]
He is not telling them to commit sacrilege. It is presumptuous to presume that.

[/quote]

I said, "If..." and "Hopefully, this is just a miscommunication." :)

[quote="Bookcat, post:14, topic:316834"]

Catechism:

One may refer him to the Catechism.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.