SPLIT: Kids coming to Mass in Halloween costumes?

bluerose,

What approach would you suggest for kids coming to Mass in Halloween costumes?

aaa

WHY?!?!

I’ve seen this happen on Halloween falls on a Saturday and the family attends Vigil mass before heading out to Halloween parties. No harm in kiddies dressing up, though I would hope parents would show some sense regarding really beastly costumes.

Our local parish nearly always has the catechism classes bring up the gifts at the first Mass after Halloween, and a couple kids bring up a bag full of donated halloween candy the kids all donate. Its a parish tradition - the kids learn about the All Saints day and the reason behind Halloween at catechism, and they are asked to donate a portion of their candy-proceeds, and most of them do. The entire batch is assembled into a gift and brought up to the altar with the wine, host and money.

Father insists he no longer indulges but contributes the stash to the food shelter we run. Minus the Reese’s candybars, of course. I mean, everyone has their limit…

When I was growing up, my Catholic school hosted a Halloween Carnival on Halloween Night ,partly as a fund raiser for the school and partly to discourage the kids from going out for trick-or-treat. There was a Mass before the doors opened for the carnival and all the kids wore their costumes; father gave them a special blessing at the end, and a great time was had by all!

I think the OP is referring to the thread concerning dogs present at mass and the new priest with the dog actually making an announcement in the parish bulletin encouraging the kids to come to mass in their halloween costumes and receive a treat.

Well, I hardly think you could make a legitimate claim that someone might be allergic or phobic about such a thing (though the mere thought makes me hyperventilate and want to break out in hives myself!):eek:

Personally, I believe it gives the impression that Mass is just an annoying obligation to fulfill before we get on with having fun… “Come on, let’s just wear the costume so we can start trick-or-treating right after Mass without having to waste time coming home to change!” Why would kids attending a 9 a.m. Mass on Halloween day need to be in costume at that hour anyway? Aren’t kids distracted enough at Mass without having the added bonus of seeing what other costumes are present?

But then, we’re the fuddy-duddy family that always packs a set of church clothes to wear to Mass even when we’re on a camping trip, so…:shrug:

I think this is inappropriate. The Church doesn’t celebrate Holloween, she celebrates All Saints Day.

Now, if kids would come dressed as their favorite saint, that would be something else.

It would be totally different if he was asking for the children to dress up as saints for All Saints Day or somehow work in a homily on the saints. But asking kids to show up in their halloween costumes, where some might be totally inappropriate for church? That’s pushing it IMO.

We said the same thing, HIGH FIVE! :smiley:

Exactly!

Does anyone know how this topic split off from the original? It is a good subject for a separate topic but not sure how this happened?

The OP original comment included this bulletin alert:

“Halloween! I want to invite the little ones to wear their Halloween costumes to Church on the 30th and 31st and if they do there may be a little treat for them as they leave Mass!” "Doing my best to serve the Lord, I am Fr. (X) "

I was asking bluerose what would be a ‘common sense’ approach to getting rid of this practice of Halloween costumes at Mass. My belief is that we must practice what we believe. Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi - the law of prayer is the law of belief. Halloween costumes are not proper attire to wear at a Mass under any circumstances. Even dressing as a saint or priest or bishop or nun are out of line at the Mass (unless you are one!). Whatever were those people thinking who started this and of those who continue it? It is blasphemous and scandalous! The same goes for the custom I have seen of school kids wearing pajamas to attend Mass.

Halloween costumesare outfits worn on or around October 31, the day of Halloween. Halloween is a modern-day holiday originating in the Celtic pagan holiday of Samhain (in Christian times, the eve of All Saints Day). Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to copy the evil spirits or placate them.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_costume

I disagree with you on the saints costumes being inappropriate at mass, especially on All Saints Day. My daugther’s former parish school, it was a always a very special mass on that day and to have the students dressed up as their favorite saints and to provide a brief narrative on their chosen saint. It always made for a great homily by the priest.

Splitting topics are done by the moderators

I fully agree. One thing I would frown on during Mass is little kids with toys. Okay, so sure they don’t fully grasp the meaning of the Homily and many or perhaps all parts of the Mass. But if they aren’t trained from the beginning that a Mass is holy, then they will bring this when they grow up.

I honestly weren’t good in Mass when I was young. But my parents never let me bring toys into church. I know many times I would doze off during Mass. But I always knew it was a time or prayer and reverence. No running around, no shouting. My dad is a strict disciplinarian, I know what I’m getting if I misbehave in church. I’m not saying we should start spanking our kids so they will behave in church but we can instil the proper reverence and discipline on our children in the way we see fit.

Of course, in order to take a ‘common sense’ approach in dealing with this situation, one must assume that the priest would have the ‘common sense’ to not even start it in the first place!

If a priest is determined to start this sort of thing, then approaching him and saying “Father, I don’t think everyone in the congregation will appreciate the distraction and it may cause some disruption for people” isn’t going to do much good. Like I said in a previous post, you won’t have much luck convincing the priest: “Father, some people might be allergic to costumes” or “My wife has a serious phobia about people wearing masks”.

My approach would be to make sure my children, my husband and I are in our Sunday best when we attend Mass and reiterate to our children that there is a time and place for everything… Mass is the time and place to focus on Jesus and Halloween afternoon and evening are the time and place for costumes and treats. Probably wouldn’t affect too many people (after all, we’re fuddy-duddies) and I’m certainly not advocating a self-righteous looking-down-your-nose attitude, but I can only control what goes on in our little “home church”, not the parish down the street. All I can say is, we managed to raise our 16-year-old son to wear Sunday church clothes to Mass (even if he is going to be wearing a cassock over them to serve at the altar) and he doesn’t seem to have suffered serious trauma by not being allowed to wear his Chuck Taylors, baggy jeans and AC/DC t-shirts for one hour a week. I doubt not being allowed to wear his Grim Reaper costume (or St. Michael when he was younger) would cause him any more stress.:rolleyes:

Wasn’t there a thread on the forums at one time about a priest (this past January in New Orleans, I believe) who was encouraging people to wear their team jerseys on Super Bowl Sunday?

I mean, really? Seriously? We can’t give ONE HOUR a week completely to Jesus without giving our attention to a lot of silly, extraneous stuff?

Wearing any costume at all is likely to set a precident for the next pastor in charge who may follow through with a more liberal approach to costumes. These things are best not started at all. An all Saint’s party for the kids separate from the Mass would be a wonderful idea! Just my opinion.

Kids coming to Mass wearing Halloween costumes? That’s nothing. The priest wears one here–you can see him in the first photo (click on photo to zoom).

romancatholicblog.typepad.com/roman_catholic_blog/2006/11/another_hallowe.html

Gotta love the altar decorations, too. :confused:

These photos were taken during the 2006 “Halloween Mass.” I’m not sure if this is still being done.

How many of us Catholics are willing to take a stand against Halloween? It’s time you know! Past time. Yep, throw the baby OUT with the bathwater, once and for all. It won’t be fun to tell the kiddies (spouses,family,friends,fellow parishioners) “We are not celebrating Halloween anymore” and then tell them why.

Don’t wait for our clergy to give us permission. Many of them want to be liked as much as we do. Some even more. Be an example and many will follow your good example.

If it doesn’t start with us doing the right thing, then who? As professing Catholics who shun evil, and receive the Sacrament of Penance, we should stand tall and no longer have anything to do with this out-of-control worship of the culture-of-death custom which begins earlier and earlier each year replete with decorations.

Everyone should do **something this week **to combat this custom. **Start **now, today, the present moment!

Here are a few ideas:

Say the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Rosary or a Novena in reparation for the evil committed on this Halloween Feast of *Samhain; (and this perverted Catholic diversion of All Saints day).

Quit giving out candy. Be creative with your Catholic faith-stand on the street corner and pass out rosaries and how to say them.

Kindly and gently confront a friend/priest/nun/catechist about the evil of Halloween. Throw away your Halloween decorations-all of them.

Establish a Eucaristic Holy Hour with your pastor for the kiddies (and ourselves) while others are trick or treating. (Remember you are throwing away the costumes.) If you don’t have time this year to get this going, keep it in mind for 2012.

Be brave! John Paul 2 said “Be Not Afraid!” Be a Catholic that stands for something and the Someone who is the reason we embrace Catholicism in the first place, Jesus Christ.

Anyone else have more suggestions?

*A satanist will intimidate you about this but Samhain is listed as satanic holiday.

* Halloween costumesare outfits worn on or around October 31, the day of Halloween. Halloween is a modern-day holiday originating in the Celtic pagan holiday of Samhain . Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to copy the evil spirits or placate them. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_costume

You may want to start a new thread, because this post really isn’t the same topic anymore.

This is the same topic. It was just split off from dog altar servers at Mass.

No, this split is about halloween costumes at Mass. You’ve now taken the topic into banishing Halloween all together. Separate topic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.