SPLIT: Odd Looking Stations of the Cross

And such lovely Stations of the Cross they’ve got there too. A gem indeed.

Do you think so? I suppose taken on their own they are OK (but not to my tatse). But if you go in the church they look out of place to me. I don’t think the late 20th century design of the Stations meshes well with 18th century architecture of the building.

Haha, no, I found them not just hideous on their own but doubly so for the horrifying contrast they make with the rest of the chapel. I guess they could look okay in some sort of ultra-modernist church (does Tadao Ando do Roman Catholic?), but here they’re about as bad as I could conceive of. They’re also gigantic, and the proportions of the last one are different, ruining even the hope of consistency. :slight_smile:

Thank goodness there are still some people with taste:D

Wow those paintings are ugly! Some of them look more like demonic creatures.
As a person who has done many paintnigs, it’s my opinion that contemporary modern art has no place in a Church.

As a person who has no art skills whatsoever, I agree with you.

I am in total agreement with you. And, as one who has been in that Church many times you can only fully appreciate how awful they are and how inappropriate they are in that beautiful church, if you actually go there. I remember all the hype surrounding them before they were erected. I was absolutely shocked when they were installed. I do not know who commissioned them or who allowed them to ruin this church.

Well, to be a little more blunt, those station pictures are “suck’n wind”. Thats horrible!!!

aaa

Well, they have done amateur hour with the music and banners, it’s time to get to the paintings. :frowning:

I am probably not going to make myself popular here by suggesting that any problems involving the Stations of the Cross could be resolved by eliminating them as a quasi-obligatory feature of church iconography. This might be facilitated by the fact that the optional devotion has in many places become all but extinct. Six of the stations are non-scriptural, and the near-universal iconographic enshrinement of the devotion is a relatively late development. If we can turn the altar around and stop saying Monday night novena, we can do without the Stations of the Cross.

What is/was Monday night novena?

:slight_smile: Thank you for helping me make my point.

This may have been a regional thing, It was very common in parishes in the US for much of the 20th century. In general, a novena is a devotion performed on the same day nine weeks in a row. Specifically, Monday night was given over to a Novena to the Miraculous Medal, a Marian devotion promoted by St. Catherine Labouré who claimed to have received it as a vision from the Lord. I imagine Wikipedia supplies the details somewhere.

I agree must be a regional thing. In England I’ve noticed the Novena to the Miraculous Medal is usually done on Saturdays. Other common novenas in England are Sacred Heart of Jesus - going to Mass on nine consecutive first Fridays; Immaculate Heart of Mary - going to Mass on nine consecutive first Saturdays. The Novena to St Jude used to be popular.

I disagree. I think Stations of the Cross is still a very important part of one’s prayer life, especially during Lent, our Church is packed every Friday.

Several parishes within my diocese say a novena to St. Anthony on Tuesdays. There are various other novenas also announced throughout the year to other saints.

Both novenas and Stations of the Cross are still very important to our Church, and there are people that participate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.