(SPLIT) OSAS and instant salvation vs our journey of faith

In all kindness as this affects all of us as human beings,but I do think it is not a Catholic issue or any church for that matter, but of whether or not conversion or being born again is instantaneous or a process. Is it a ‘now’ salvation as to our souls or spirit (like our savior Jesus changed water to wine in an instant) or a probationary process salvation and we will only know we are saved at the judgment?

If conversion or being born *from above *as the NT Greek says and the Holy Spirit of God directly saves us then it would be a miracle. All miracles in the Bible were instantaneous. So why not salvation with the exception of our bodies which will be *quickly *transformed at the great ressurection?

Paul was saved instantly as was everyone who contacted Jesus relative to their souls and He told them 'to go into peace.'Gk. Or to the crippled man ‘your sins are forgiven.’

Thank you and God bless.:slight_smile:

as the NT Greek says and the Holy Spirit of God directly saves us then it would be a miracle. All miracles in the Bible were instantaneous. So why not salvation with the exception of our bodies which will be *quickly *transformed at the great ressurection?

Paul was saved instantly as was everyone who contacted Jesus relative to their souls and He told them 'to go into peace.'Gk. Or to the crippled man ‘your sins are forgiven.’

Thank you and God bless.:)If Paul was saved instantly then why does he tell us in Philippians 2:12 to “work out our salvation with fear and trembling” and in 1st Corinthians 9:27 he tells us he could even so be lost. More importantly we see Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ telling us in Revelation 3:5 that it is possible for our names to be blotted out of the book of life, which they have to be written in in order to be saved. OSAS is a very deceptive error and a new wind of doctrines of modern men.

By the way…not all miracles in the New Testament were instantaneous. For instance in Luke 17:14 the ten lepers were not, but “And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.” There are number of other instances in both Testaments, so your assertion by analogy is wrong.

Hello, I am a former Baptist so I understand where you are coming from. I also used to believe that salvation happened in an instant and was a one time event for all eternity.

I still believe salvation can happen in an instant but no longer accept that it is a one time event. In baptism our sins are forgiven and we are born again, born from above by the power of the Holy Spirit, this happens in an instant, one moment we are lost in our sins and in the next we are a new creation, a child of God.

But, this is only the beginning. We have a lifetime after this moment. Conversion continues to happen in our souls. Unfortunately we continue to stumble, but if we confess our sins, he is faithful and will forgive us. He has saved us and He continues to save us every time we return to Him and He assures us that if we persevere to the end He will save us.

As St. Paul says, “we are closer to our salvation than when we first believed”.

In Christ
Maggie

Forgiveness and sanctification are immediate, when the waters of baptism flow over our heads. But this doesn’t end our journey. We must protect and keep this “pearl of great price”, and keep it clean from defiling.

Salvation is a past, present and future event. We share in the divine life when we enter into the New Covenant, but as with all covenants, we must maintain it. And when we’ve broken it, we must renew the covenant through action so that our souls become alive again.

So that explains why Jesus tells us that if we love Him, we will keep His commands. He also tells us we will be saved** IF** we remain in Him. Note the word IF, it is an important qualifier. Jesus guarantees that He will deliver the promises He made of salvation, BUT it is contingent upon us accepting and abiding by His commands.

Here is a recent blog post that talks about that very issue:

Salvation Be-ing (Catholic) versus Do-ing (Protestant):

creedcodecult.com/doing-being-and-the-function-of-faith

we have this treasure in earthen vessels 2 Corinthians 4:7

When we are converted to God we receive great gifts. If we happen to die at the moment of conversion (or baptism) then we have all that suffices for salvation. Normally though we live for many years after this event and we must act as steward of these gifts. We will be held to account for what we have done with them. If we become wicked stewards and neglect, destroy or throw away the gifts our last state will be worse than our first. If we are but indifferent stewards we will come to salvation but as through fire. If we are good stewards we will be invited to enter into the joy of our Lord and partake of the heavenly banquet.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It seems you are suffering from several misunderstandings. The Catholic Church embraces the Apostolic teaching that being born again is instantaneous, and irreversible. The difference is that we also embrace the Apostolic Teaching that being born again is not all there is to salvation, but rather, the beginning of a process of becoming sanctified and eventually glorified (all parts of salvation) so that when one has been born again one has been saved, and when one is walking in discipleship one is BEING saved, and when one is united with their heavenly inheritance they WILL Be saved.

Without muddying the waters too much, I might suggest that St. Paul’s personal conversion fits exactly into the teachings of the Catholic Church…even after being spoken to directly by the Risen Christ, and even after St. Paul had ‘given his life to Christ’ by choosing to follow Him, St. Paul had to DO something (i.e. continue the process of salvation). He had to go and get baptized for the forgiveness of sins…

‘Lest I myself be cut off’ St. Paul understood that even he was not above reproach from God and that he had to continue to live for Christ each and every day…

Peace in Christ

New website? I like the design.

I don’t understand why this needs to be reduced down to an “either/or” paradigm Bruce3. Why not a “yes/and” as you can deduce from Sacred Scripture?

God bless.

Cathoholic

You ask a very good question and the answers are very good. My question to you is that I have very good and holy friends that are Baptists. From your experience should religion be brought up as in this topic with a danger of bruising beliefs and losing friendships. Would you want your good friends of other religions to bring up this discussion ??

Paul was saved instantly?

**I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.** Phil 3:10-14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.