SPLIT: Protestant don't have a "deposit of faith"?

"Protestants don’t have a Deposit of Faith nor do they have Liturgy (or Liturgical Calendar), so they don’t really have doctrines. They see the Christian faith as something we all individually derive from scratch for ourselves, with each of us deciding what is and is not doctrine. But this is man-made religion, rather than religion delivered to us.

I believe that it might be in your best interest to become better informed concerning Protestants before make claims about them. While not all Protestants follow a Liturgical Calendar or have liturgical worship many do as well as follow the Common Lectionary. All Protestant churches have doctrine which they believe and follow. May I inguire who gave you this Deposit of Faith to you; God or the church? I would suggest that much in the your belief system is man made religion as it is interpreted from sacred scripture by man.

So… your belief system is not interpreted from sacred scripture by man? I’m not following your argument here.

I believe that it might be in your best interest to become better informed concerning Protestants before make claims about them. While not all Protestants follow a Liturgical Calendar or have liturgical worship many do as well as follow the Common Lectionary. All Protestant churches have doctrine which they believe and follow. May I inguire who gave you this Deposit of Faith to you; God or the church? I would suggest that much in the your belief system is man made religion as it is interpreted from sacred scripture by man.

Well…why don’t you answer the question first:May I inguire who gave you this Deposit of Faith to you; God or the church?

Can you trace your deposit of faith to the apostles?

You stated:
I would suggest that much in the your belief system is man made religion as it is interpreted from sacred scripture by man.

Before you make this charge against the Catholic church, can you absolutely say that this not apply to you first? If not, can you explain why not?

Off topic post(s) split to form new thread.

"Protestants don’t have a Deposit of Faith nor do they have Liturgy (or Liturgical Calendar), so they don’t really have doctrines. They see the Christian faith as something we all individually derive from scratch for ourselves, with each of us deciding what is and is not doctrine. But this is man-made religion, rather than religion delivered to us.

Well, not all Protestant churches do have doctrines–at least I used to be a member of one that was proud to say it didn’t have doctrines, so it can be confusing. The one I belonged to had two “ordinances.” Otherwise, it was a matter of personal interpretation and discretion. However, I would agree that most Protestant ecclesial bodies do have a set of doctrines they adhere to, some more loosely than others. :wink:

May I inguire who gave you this Deposit of Faith to you; God or the church? I would suggest that much in the your belief system is man made religion as it is interpreted from sacred scripture by man.

The Catholic Church didn’t give us our deposit of faith out of the blue, or even from biblical interpretation. She got her doctrines from Christ who gave them to the Apostles, who passed them down to their successors. The Catholic Church, being the body of Christ, cannot teach anything she did not receive from Christ and the Apostles. The Bible came after the Church had already been founded and in operation for quite some time before the first Gospel or Epistle was written. :slight_smile:

Potato1237, there are many different Protestant groups who believe many different things and practice many different things. It is unreasonable and unproductive to lump them all into one bucket and try to make broad sweeping stereotypes.

Rather, it is best to get to know your brothers & sisters in Christ by who they each actually are. Not via false stereotypes.

All Protestant churches have doctrine which they believe and follow.

I don’t think the Anglicans do.

Oh but they do. They just don’t follow it. :wink:

Or some do and some don’t, more or less.

I apologize if I offended you, but how was I making a blanket statement? I was simply stating that he/she claims the Catholic Church is mans interpretation of scripture, while his belief system is essentially based on conclusions he/she has drawn from his/her private interpretation of scripture.

The majority do not per se. They describe themselves as “Bible only Christians”.

1. nor do they have Liturgy (or Liturgical Calendar)

This is actually wrong (Potato). Lutherans, Anglicans, and a great many Presbyterians do indeed have a Liturgy. Lutheran liturgy actually is very similar to our Mass.

1. they don’t really have doctrines.

This also is not true. All faith communities have a belief system and when they enumerate them in their “statement of beliefs” or whatever they call it among themselves, each belief is a doctrine. Few n-Cs use a creed the way we Catholics do though some do use the Apostles Creed. It varies from community to community.

1. They see the Christian faith as something we all individually derive from scratch for ourselves, with each of us deciding what is and is not doctrine.

Again, some do and some don’t. The point here is that they put themselves in the unenviable position of pretty much having to reinvent their personal doctrinal wheel on a daily basis since they tend to have to read and interpret the Bible for themselves (individually) and that is difficult and confusing, especially when they are talking with us Catholics.

None of these statements are true for all Protestant groups, or even most of them.

It’s another live and learn day. :thumbsup:

Mormon issues split to SPLIT: Mormon teaching and Trinitarian baptism

Since many difficult-to-categorize Christians, primarily Fundamentalist/Evangelical/Dispensationalist deny being “Protestant”, the more salient assertion might be that this disparate group has no stable, coherent or consistent deposit of faith. They have the malleable “statement of beliefs” that may appear on their web pages.

OK. I’ll pick up a book on Quakerism. Will that give me accurate information about Protestants?

Quite. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.