SPLIT: Protestant vs. Catholic views on virginity, remarriage, etc.

Protestants reject virginity?:rotfl:What, do they not believe it exists?

The Anglican denomination was the first one to fully support birth control at its Lambeth Conference in 1930. Within the next twenty years, most mainline protestant denominations followed with the same. Now there is a push for sodomite marriage in many of these same denominations, and, of course, as for ‘regular’ marriage, it’s no big deal that couples should live together prior to deciding to marry, or divorce/re-marry/divorce/re-marry/divorce/re-marry, etc. Where is the concept of virginity in all of this? Obviously, no where. So, instead of laughing at the posting, maybe you should think about the ramifications of what artificial birth control has wrought over the course of the last 75 years.

One offshoot of the Protestant split does not “protestants” make. There are MANY of the more socially conservative denominations that push for virginity. Virginity is a cherished virtue in any and all Christian denominations. Saying they support birth control is one thing, but, no church who believes in the Trinity and sin is pushing for 15 year olds to sleep around. Virginity is highly encouraged in Protestant faiths.

You are missing the point. That post was not talking about “saving sex for marriage” in its own way, but the bigger grand scale picture.

most if not all protestants allow remarriage after divorces. Most believe contraception is ok. By these standards, actual virginity is less valued.
The term virginity, in this poster’s discussion is far beyond a teenager not having sex.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I was not understanding it from those posts. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I said *mainline *denominations. And how did 15-year olds get into this post??

aaa

Well, I am a pastor in a mainline denomination. Here is our official statement on sexuality, from the United Methodist Book of Discipline, our canon law:

We recognize that sexuality is God’s good gift to all persons. We believe persons may be fully human only when that gift is acknowledged and affirmed by themselves, the church, and society. We call all persons to the disciplined, responsible fulfillment of themselves, others, and society in the stewardship of this gift. We also recognize our limited understanding of this complex gift and encourage the medical, theological, and social science disciplines to combine in a determined effort to understand human sexuality more completely. We call the Church to take the leadership role in bringing together these disciplines to address this most complex issue. Further, within the context of our understanding of this gift of God, we recognize that God challenges us to find responsible, committed, and loving forms of expression.

Although all persons are sexual beings whether or not they are married, sexual relations are only clearly affirmed in the marriage bond. Sex may become exploitative within as well as outside marriage. We reject all sexual expressions that damage or destroy the humanity God has given us as birthright, and we affirm only that sexual expression that enhances that same humanity. We believe that sexual relations where one or both partners are exploitative, abusive, or promiscuous are beyond the parameters of acceptable Christian behavior and are ultimately destructive to individuals, families, and the social order.

We deplore all forms of the commercialization and exploitation of sex, with their consequent cheapening and degradation of human personality. We call for strict global enforcement of laws prohibiting the sexual exploitation or use of children by adults and encourage efforts to hold perpetrators legally and financially responsible. We call for the establishment of adequate protective services, guidance, and counseling opportunities for children thus abused. We insist that all persons, regardless of age, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation, are entitled to have their human and civil rights ensured.
We recognize the continuing need for full, positive, age-appropriate and factual sex education opportunities for children, young people, and adults. The Church offers a unique opportunity to give quality guidance and education in this area.

Homosexual persons no less than heterosexual persons are individuals of sacred worth. All persons need the ministry and guidance of the church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others, and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm that God’s grace is available to all, and we will seek to live together in Christian community. We implore families and churches not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons.

The problem with generalizations, Peary, is that they are usually wrong.

Unfortunately virginity isn’t valued by a certain amount of members within all denominations, including Catholicism. I have seen and known a heap of Catholics who had pregnancies out of wedlock and you name it. My wife, who is from the Philippines, is so saddened to see how the homosexual lifestyle is rampant in the Philippines (especially in their media) and how three of her nieces and nephews got pregnant out of wedlock. Many of her family, neighbors, friends use birth control and have premarital sex. It’s rampant there now. It’s unfortunate as heck. So it’s not a Protestant or Catholic thing, it’s our secular culture’s dark influence on everyone. Just because the Anglicans opened the doors to birth control at Lambeth in 1930 and everyone in Protestantism followed suit doesn’t mean Catholics didn’t jump on the wagon?

Three of her nephews got pregnant out of wedlock?! That IS one influential media.

You know, I am sad, too, to hear that sexual perversion is rampant in the Philippines. I know it is (or was) a highly Catholic, albeit crooked, country, so, that it, like all other Catholic countries has…become secular, is sad.

It’s a sad indication of the way the world is heading, something tells me it’s only going to get worse.

I think the media have a huge role in these situations, For e.g that american beauty pageant contestant who explained that she believes marriage should be between male and female and then the media went to work on her! Forget that she had an opinion! they’re attitude was “let’s make some controversy here”. That’s the mind of the media - controversy!

Yeah, and when I was in the Philippines back in 2003 they had Eminem rap music blaring in the mall at this clothing store my wife and I went in. You could hear this rapper blasting “F” words over and over and talking about sexual assault and things and I told the clerk working there, “boy, this music is about the most tasteless garbage I’ve ever heard? Are you ok with “F” words and sex music in your store?” She just shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

Then we went in an internet cafe in Baguio (my wife’s home town) and the majority of the kids were 15 and under, some about 12 or so and they were playing video games that showed intestines and guts and blood and heads flying off in machine gun battles and car-jackings, etc.

We’d turn on the TV and there were gay people on all these different shows. My nephew (the straight arrow, hard-working college kid that HAS made good decisions) said he had been hit on by gay guys a bunch of times at school.

Half of my wife’s friends from the Phils got pregnant before they got married and yet all go to Mass and use birth control at the same time.

In the Philippines they love to brag that they’re a Catholic nation and that they don’t have divorce. I wish I had a Peso for each time I heard that! :slight_smile: But what’s sad is how many of the men desert their women and then the women have no means of child support and they languish. My wife’s father dumped her and her four siblings and mom when my wife was two years old. My wife’s sister, Shirley, her husband dumped her about four years ago. My wife’s other sister, Marie, got dumped about 15 years ago by her husband. And my wife’s brother in law’s brother dumped his wife and has caroused all over the place. It’s amazing. The sexual morality there is bleak and the promiscuity is out of control. And since condoms are not widely used there, everybody just gets pregnant right and left.

It’s a mess…

Yep, the world is turning into one big jerry springer show!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.