SPLIT: Returning to Mass--what should I do?

I am attending my first Mass tomorrow. I was Christened a Catholic as an infant but raised a separate religion. I want to, going forward with my life return to my roots as a Catholic. Im not sure even where to start or what to do first. what is appropriate to do?Any suggestions for me other than following what others are doing. I am not shy. So thats a plus, Im very respectful. I just dont want to do anything wrong. Does my being Christened do me any good or doesn’t that count considering it was so long ago?

Thank you,
Krist

Welcome back :slight_smile:
If you were baptized Catholic, then of course it counts- baptism changes our souls forever.
You are welcome to follow along and join everyone else during Mass for everything, **except **going up for Communion. After Mass, maybe approach a priest and tell him about your situation- that you want to return to your roots as a Catholic. He will direct you to the next steps.
And don’t worry about messing up- some people who go to Mass all the time still mess up sometimes!

Kristi, you should talk to a priest. Perhaps call the parish office to make an appointment. Your Catholic baptism is still valid. You need some instruction and then Confirmation and First Communion.

You can attend Mass but should not take Communion yet.

Welcome back!

I’ve been attending Mass semi-regularly for a little over a year, finding my feet back in the faith after not attending Mass since my family stopped regularly going to Mass when I was 8 or 9 (29 now). Yesterday I made the decision to finally go to confession, and this morning I’ve just returned from Mass and received the Eucharist – and I cannot explain how amazing and blessed I feel at this moment. So add me to the list of those who’ll answer this question with this:

Go to Mass. Speak to your Priest, he’ll help you understand you’re path. It’s worth it. God Bless!

Congratulation! You’ll be in my prayers. You are already a Catholic, just an uncatechized one. Welcome home.

aaa

Welcome home!

Since you are already Catholic, you can go to Confession immediately, to any priest (of course, any real priest). If you need some help with that, feel free to explain it to the priest. Of course, you should open the confession by mentioning your previous situation (it’s been … years since my last confession).

If you need some written resources to help with confession, I’m sure the good folks here can point you to a wealth of online resources.

If you already received your First Communion, then you can resume receiving after that Confession. If you have not yet received First Communion, then you need to speak to your pastor about that to make the proper arrangements (it doesn’t have to be “with the kids” it just has to be “for the first time.”) He’ll work with you on this.

There are also other things that need to be done, such as your formation in the faith—meaning learning (or re-learning) the truths of the faith, and likely preparation for Confirmation. All that will come in due time. Just talk to your pastor (the pastor of the place where you live is already your pastor, even if you’ve never met), and he can walk you through everything.

Welcome home!

Since you are already Catholic, you can go to Confession immediately, to any priest (of course, any real priest). If you need some help with that, feel free to explain it to the priest. Of course, you should open the confession by mentioning your previous situation (it’s been … years since my last confession).

If you need some written resources to help with confession, I’m sure the good folks here can point you to a wealth of online resources.

If you already received your First Communion, then you can resume receiving after that Confession. If you have not yet received First Communion, then you need to speak to your pastor about that to make the proper arrangements (it doesn’t have to be “with the kids” it just has to be “for the first time.”) He’ll work with you on this.

There are also other things that need to be done, such as your formation in the faith—meaning learning (or re-learning) the truths of the faith, and likely preparation for Confirmation. All that will come in due time. Just talk to your pastor (the pastor of the place where you live is already your pastor, even if you’ve never met), and he can walk you through everything.

Thank you so much, Now i have a sense in what im to do first. I do not receive my First Holy Communion and would love to. I will do as you said, thank you for your reply. as for my confession. I will need help with that as im not sure what im supposed to say. Like what is considered a sin in other words worth telling. :frowning: So much to learn
Kristi

Here is a link about Confession.

kofc.org/en/resources/cis/devotionals/2075.pdf

But honestly before reading too much I would contact your local Parish Priest and ask to speak to him and tell him your situation. You can often times even just get their email address off of the church website and set something up that way.

I expect that since you were only Baptized as an infant into Catholicism and it doesn’t sound like you’ve really had any sort of formation beyond that you will be going through RCIA classes. So don’t be in too big of a rush about things, let the priest guide you along.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.