SPLIT: Vestments for all occasions in the Church?

i wish to get a proper clarification of the all the dresses used by a bishop during the various occasions of the church events .
the meaning of these vestments will also be good to know in order to equip the younger believers around our village with materials concerning our church .also such knowledge wiil be especially very important for catetecumen

aaa

A Catholic calendar gives a very simple explanation & chart of the different color vestments & coordinating altar cloths used during the various liturgical seasons & occasions of the Church year. Used may also wish to pick up an Ordo at any any Catholic book store which explains daily rules for vestments & altar colors. I use both for explanation to Catetcumens.

Hmm… Diocletian… Do you know anything about your namesake?

But in any case, all the vestments were first pragmatic; meanings were only affixed to them later through vesting prayers and the like. A bishop may wear all the vestments a priest may wear–amice, alb, cincture, maniple, stole, and chasuble in the context of Mass; surplice and cope for other liturgical ceremonies–as well as a mitre, and formerly (still among certain traditional Catholics) the tunic, dalmatic, sandals, buskins, and gloves. Archbishops wear a pallium as well. Eastern Catholic vestments are, of course, different.

I understand Fr Joseph Braun, SJ, to be the authority in this regard. However, I’m not certain if any of his works have ever been translated from the German. If you read German, though, you’re in luck: newliturgicalmovement.org/2010/01/books-by-joseph-braun-sj-available.html#.UzMIEoVwpyM

The Amice
“Lord, set the helmet of salvation on my head to fend off all the assaults of the devil.”
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/An_amice_exp.jpg/200px-An_amice_exp.jpg

The Alb
“Make me white, O Lord, and cleanse my heart; that being made white in the Blood of the Lamb I may deserve an eternal reward.”
http://www.acts24.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/alb.jpg

Pectoral Cross & Chord
A symbol of the bishop’s office.

Episcopal Ring
A symbol of the bishop’s office.

The Cincture
“Gird me, O Lord, with the cincture of purity, and quench in my heart the fire of concupiscence, that the virtue of continence and chastity may abide in me.”

The Maniple (Not often used)
“May I deserve, O Lord, to bear the maniple of weeping and sorrow in order that I may joyfully reap the reward of my labors.”

The Stole (Note a bishop would always wear his hanging straight down)
“Lord, restore the stole of immortality, which I lost through the collusion of our first parents, and, unworthy as I am to approach Thy sacred mysteries, may I yet gain eternal joy.”

The Dalmatic (For Pontifical Celebrations)
“Lord, endow me with the garment of salvation, the vestment of joy, and with the dalmatic of justice ever encompass me.”

The Chasuble
“O Lord, who has said, ‘My yoke is sweet and My burden light,’ grant that I may so carry it as to merit Thy grace.”

Mitre & Crozier
Symbols of the bishop’s office. Note that the bishop is wearing a cope in this picture, which is the outermost garment used for extra-missam liturgies.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zW52CBNOqaU/UWZcSYXX3iI/AAAAAAAAAio/2QVA8jBPRgw/s1600/Crosier_%28PSF%29.png

Kindly tell me which year /century was the manipule used

It’s still in use today when a priest celebrates Mass in the Extraordinary Form.

Although rarely seen at Ordinary Form Mass, a priest may still wear the maniple if he wishes.

From antiquity to the current day. I believe it originated as a sort of napkin used in hot places by the priest to wipe his face, then gradually became a required vestment.

I really like maniples personally, they look interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.