SPLIT: Which blessings may deacons give?

Obviously I am extremely late entering this thread, but hopefully someone will respond. Fr.David96, if you are still receiving notices on this thread, I would appreciate some input.

I "happened" to find this while researching the use of the Roman Ritual and the Book of Blessings in regard to the blessing of water, particularly outside of Mass. But first, I would like some clarification on another, hopefully more simple, question: The rubrics for the Roman Ritual state that "Deacons and lectors can give validly and licitly only those blessings expressly allowed by law." (Which this is similar to Canon 1169,3) I understand that at the time of the development of this book deacons were transitional as the permanent diaconate was not re-instituted, thus the understanding was not the same as the present. Keeping this in mind, how would this rubric effect permanent deacons and their use of the Roman Ritual? The Book of Blessing states that deacons may use certain blessings contained within it so there is no question. My assumption is that the blessings may be used by permanent deacons except those reserved to bishops and those that are directed to objects for liturgical use, etc. An example would be section V, which contains blessing of automobiles, animals, typewriters, and so forth. However, assuming is often times where trouble begins.

Now for the second question, which is much related to the first. I have researched the internet, Canon Law, the rubrics of the Book of Blessings, the Liturgy, and several other sources that I fail to remember to find out if deacons may use the form of blessing of water (and salt) found in the Roman Ritual. More times than not (which are not many), I would find that the answer is "no" because the RR includes a form of exorcism. Exorcism as we understand it is reserved to a priest designated by the Ordinary (Canon 1172). However, if I understand 1172 and the commentaries I have read, it refers to solemn exorcisms which would target people who are possessed by evil spirits. Even though the text of the exorcism of the water and salt read "I cast out the demon from you..." its target is not a person. So would this be considered a minor exorcism, which would be akin to that which is part of Baptism, which a deacon is allowed by Church law to impart? The text for the blessing of water includes a resemblance of an exorcism "...when used in your mysteries and endowed with your grace, serve to cast out demons and to banish disease...", yet does not use the "I cast out" that the exorcism uses. So in this case would the blessing of the water be permissible for a deacon to use if not also the exorcism of the water?

sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/48-blessings-for-special-days-and-feasts.html

I ask these things because in lieu of the increasing resistance to what is holy, the more ordained clergy that hold to the power and authority of Christ and the sanctification that he so graciously gives the better. And the more ordained clergy (including deacons) that are willing/able to use the authority Christ has granted through the blessing and exorcism imparted upon the water (and salt) such as in the Roman Ritual the better to foster the faith and protection of those responding to the call to salvation.

So hopefully my questions aren't going to float into the oblivion of cyber space.

aaa

Well, I guess I got my answer…as far as the English goes. The the decree in the Book of Blessing states that no other English version may be used. Now that still leaves the Latin…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.