Sports and Sundays

Firstly i would like to ask, can play amateur sports on Sunday? Most would probably say yes, but what if the game you have is not entirely for fun and is also stressful?

Second, what about professional sports? I am mostly a boxing and football(soccer) fan, altough i occasionaly watch basketball. I mostly watch football(soccer) because i can’t watch boxing(i don’t know how to watch it in my country and the best fights are on the PPV and i couldn’t watch so many expensive fights even if i wanted to) and i was wondering because in football(soccer) a lot of games are on Sunday(not so much in boxing). Is it a sin to watch those games? Is it a sin for athletes to play on Sundays?

Nobody?

Still nobody?

Hi TimiCelcer,

Sorry you had to wait so long for a response. I would say generally speaking, no it’s not a sin to play and/or watch sports on a Sunday. As long as you’re attending mass on a Sunday and giving the day back to God, then it is fine.

I suppose theoretically speaking, if you found that sports were distracting you from giving the day to God, then it may be a good idea to stop or cut back on time spent. But there’s nothing objectively wrong with watching / playing sports on a Sunday.

This is yet another thread you started asking if something is a sin. Following the advice of many members of these forums have you yet talked to a priest about your scrupulosity??

NOTHING in your opening post is a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.