Springfield bishop calls for exorcism tied to gay marriage

Bishop Thomas Paprocki of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield said he will offer prayers for “exorcism in reparation for the sin of same-sex marriage” at the same time Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign the same-sex marriage bill into law next week.

Paprocki said he will offer the prayers intended to cast out evil at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in the state’s capital Wednesday.

“It is scandalous that so many Catholic politicians are responsible for enabling the passage of this legislation and even twisting the words of the pope to rationalize their actions despite the clear teaching of the church,” Paprocki said in a statement.

Full story here: chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-exorcism-same-sex-marriage-20131115-story.html

Hi Morwenna,

Wow. I did not know that he could perform an exorcism over something like this. Interesting article. Thanks for posting it and for sharing it with us.

I’ve come to the conclusion that actions like this will only serve to fan the flames of an already worthless culture war. Such a’ war’ only has casualties and victories far more needless compared to any real one the world is having in the Middle East.

I tend to think this is counter productive. This really only reinforces Pope Francis’ statement that the church is “obsessed” with certain issues.

This will only further marginalize the churches role in the culture.

Agreed.

Kudos to His Excellency. I only hope that he uses the 1962 Missal form of things.

I applaud the Bishop for defending the teachings of the Church.(I have never heard of an exorcism being done for a situation like this, but agree there is a spiritual battle present so it does make sense) As scripture states (although it escapes me exactly where…) we are to be in the world but are not of the world. The Church does not and should not “conform” to a particular cultures view of morality. It must stand strong in the face of even opposision within as well as without the Church…such is the case here. Many have misunderstood the views and statements of Pope Francis…perhaps because that’s what they want to hear…sad. Praying for all…

In His Love,
mlz

His Excellency is doing a very good thing here, I think, by taking this public step.

Hi oldgraymare,

Yes, I was surprised as well; I hadn’t heard of exorcism being used in this context before, so thought it was worth sharing. :slight_smile:

The use of the word “exorcism” is a bit unfortunate since it leaves the impression that the bishop will perform the Rite of Exorcism, which from the diocesan sources is not the case.

What he proposes to do is offer “Prayers of Supplication and Exorcism in Reparation for the Sin of Same-Sex Marriage” during a special Holy Hour before the Real Presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament:

Bishop to Offer Prayers in Reparation

A typical prayer of exorcism is this one, formerly prayed after every Mass:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Divine Power of God,
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

I assume the Chicago Tribune “spun” this specifically to create sensationalism and do the usual secular press smear of earnest Christians who oppose its liberal agenda.

I was also surprised that this could be done but kudos to him anyway!

Why, does the newer one not work as well? Does Satan only understand Latin?

This is old news. Bishop Paprocki did this in Nov 2013.

So, one surrenders in a moral struggle, then? I think we know what that is presently costing in the secular war in the Middle East.

Wow. You’re right. This article dates from 2013. I had no idea it was so old.

It’s an old article but I wonder if they can say these Exorcism Prayers over ISIL. That would seem to be a good idea.

The marginalization is already upon us. Now the only thing that is left is the question of who is going to stand with Our Lord and His Church and who is going to snivel like Gollum and plead with our neo-pagan overlords: “We be nice to them if they’s be nice to ussss.”

Too funny!

No, one stops digging the entire institution into a hole for a pointless cause. Culture wars, by their very nature, are nothing more than factories of stereotypes, propaganda, and intellectual laughingstocks.

I’ll take a real war with real stakes any day. Soldiers and terrorists alike talk with their guns with their lives on the line.

Culture warriors are but pathetic imitations, fighting with half-classed rhetoric where the only consequence is losing face. Yeah. Real admirable. Any time a Christian declares themselves being persecuted because they oppose homosexuality, I feel like the real martyrs are rolling in their graves.

But couldn’t this be used as justification for no longer praying outside abortion clinics? Abortion is already legal nationwide – should we then view it as a lost cause? Should protests be seen as a “factory of stereotypes, propaganda, and intellectual laughingstocks”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.