Squeaky Fromme to be Paroled

I remember the Manson trial and was a working newsman when Fromme tried to plink Jerry Ford. Not everyone knows that on a 1911 model Colt you need to have a round in the chanber – Fromme’s negligence saved Ford’s life. Feminists yelled because Fromme was called a “girl” although she was in her late twenties.

But I can remember that day in 1975 like it was yesterday. It was during the same month that Patty Hearst was arrested. And then Sara Jane Goode tried to shoot Ford several weeks later! The times, they were crazy! Ms. Goode was prevented from shooting Ford by Oliver Sipple, who disproved a legend about Marines. After his service in the corps, he had moved to San Francisco for a different lifestyle.

"WASHINGTON — Lynette A. Fromme, who was briefly in the limelight she so craved after pointing a gun at President Gerald R. Ford in 1975, will be released from federal prison on Aug. 16, the Federal Bureau of Prisons said Wednesday.

Ms. Fromme, 60, known as Squeaky, has been held in a prison near Fort Worth, Tex., and became eligible for parole release, according to Traci Billingsley, a spokeswoman for the agency, which is part of the Justice Department. Ms. Billingsley said she had no information on Ms. Fromme’s plans once she is released.

Ms. Fromme was an early follower of Charles Manson, the architect of seven murders in California in 1969. She had been arrested more than a dozen times before Sept. 5, 1975, in Sacramento, when she pointed a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol at Mr. Ford from about two feet away. A Secret Service agent, Larry M. Buendorf, grabbed the gun with one hand and Ms. Fromme’s arm with the other, causing the gun to fall to the ground.
The pistol held a loaded magazine, but there was no cartridge in the chamber, so the gun would not have immediately fired."

nytimes.com/2009/08/06/us/politics/06fromme.html

And now apparently Susan Atkins is dying of brain cancer, and has been denied compassionate release on health grounds. Meanwhile, Leslie van Houten is eligible to apply for parole again this year. If Susan Atkins can’t get released for brain cancer, I don’t know how any of the others will pull it off.

Squeaky has never been found to be complicit in anyone’s death; unlike other Manson family members.

True, though it wasn’t exactly for want of trying!

I don’t know how much comfort I can take in the idea that the only thing standing between Manson and his girl assassins and their liberty is a parole board. The women may have been model prisoners, but that doesn’t mean they’d be model citizens on the outs. I have had many clients who have done very well and even thrived inside, or on supervised probation, only to go right straight back to their lives of crime the second they got let off the leash.

Just because she didn’t complete her actions. She still tried!and if it was for divine intervention . She was willing member of lunatic’s cult.I pray that she has changed & religious faith(Christian)has come into her life!and she is no longer a walking time bomb!

Of the original 3 girls tried in the Manson stayings, only Patricia Krenwinkle has demonstrated remorse.
Atkins is back to claimibg she didn’t do it and Van Houton, though acheiving education in prison, does not “feel” responsible. These observations courtesy of occasional newspaper articles and an HBO interview with each woman.
Actually, after 40 years in prison, I doubt that any of these women are still a menace to society but on the other hand, how could they even function in the outside world after all this time?
Food for thought.
As to Lynette, if she is paroled, it will be interesting to see how she does in “the world”. Hopefully she has a support system in place outside. 35 years inside the walls creates a dependent personality.

Well, Susan Atkins is probably no longer a threat to society, simply because she’s dying of a brain tumor. But as for the others, I don’t have a lot of faith that they could safely be released into society, even after all these years. There are a lot of people in the system who do very, very well under close supervision; but when the supervision ends, then they celebrate by going straight back to their old ways.

I’d be willing to bet that as soon as Squeaky gets out, the first thing she’ll try to do is see Manson. I’m sure she’ll be forbidden to visit with cons as a condition of her parole, and she’ll probably get into trouble pretty quick over that.

That, at any rate, is my prediction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.