SSPX and FSSP Masses

May I go to a SSPX or a FSSP Mass and fullfill my Sunday obligations.

To be honest, I don’t know much about the FSSP, but I do know that going to an SSPX mass will NOT satisfy your sunday obligation.

The FSSP are great. The Fraternal Society of St. Peter. They were started at the request of Pope John Paul II to provide the Tridentine Mass. Matter of fact, I went to a Tridentine Mass this past Sunday celebrated by a FSSP priest, and he was excellent.

They are in complete communion with the Pope. They have a seminary in the US, in the Diocese of Lincoln as Bishop Bruskewitz is a supporter of the FSSP. If I were to become a priest the FSSP would be high on my list.

The SSPX, however I would avoid if at all possible.

[quote=proud2bcatholic]…The SSPX, however I would avoid if at all possible.
[/quote]

It is always possible to avoid the SSPX.

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]It is always possible to avoid the SSPX.
[/quote]

Okay, then they should always be avoided.

[quote=proud2bcatholic]The FSSP are great. The Fraternal Society of St. Peter. They were started at the request of Pope John Paul II to provide the Tridentine Mass. Matter of fact, I went to a Tridentine Mass this past Sunday celebrated by a FSSP priest, and he was excellent.

They are in complete communion with the Pope. They have a seminary in the US, in the Diocese of Lincoln as Bishop Bruskewitz is a supporter of the FSSP. If I were to become a priest the FSSP would be high on my list.

The SSPX, however I would avoid if at all possible.
[/quote]

I go to SSPX Masses regularly, as my wife is a Protestant convert to SSPX.
I do it as my contribution to Ecumenism.

fssp.org/en/index.htm

Here is the North American seminary for the FSSP.

fssp.com/main/olgs.html

These photos are awesome, especially the Denton seminary photos.

fssp.org/en/photos.htm

[quote=proud2bcatholic]These photos are awesome, especially the Denton seminary photos.

fssp.org/en/photos.htm
[/quote]

Yes, those are great photos indeed!

You can fulfill your Sunday obligation at an FSSP Traditional Latin Mass! I do it almost every Sunday! :smiley:
The SSPX are in schism though and you cannot fulfill your obligation at one of their masses.

[quote=E.E.N.S.]To be honest, I don’t know much about the FSSP, but I do know that going to an SSPX mass will NOT satisfy your sunday obligation.
[/quote]

SSPX Mass* will* satisfy the Sunday obligation. The letter from Msgr. Perl of the Ecclesia Dei Commission clearly says that one can fulfill their Sunday obligation by assisting at an SSPX Mass. One can also contribute monetarily.

Here’s some of the information…

His second question was “Is it a sin for me to attend a Pius X Mass” and we responded stating:

“2. We have already told you that we cannot recommend your attendance at such a Mass and have explained the reason why. If your primary reason for attending were to manifest your desire to separate yourself from communion with the Roman Pontiff and those in communion with him, it would be a sin. If your intention is simply to participate in a Mass according to the 1962 Missal for the sake of devotion, this would not be a sin.”

His third question was: “Is it a sin for me to contribute to the Sunday collection a Pius X Mass” to which we responded:

“3. It would seem that a modest contribution to the collection at Mass could be justified.”

The full text can be read here…

So you may fulfill your obligation at either an SSPX or an FSSP Mass.

Just remember that the situation concerning the SSPX is not as cut and dried or black and white as most everyone here seems to think. It’s actually a much more complex issue than it seems.

[quote=E.E.N.S.]To be honest, I don’t know much about the FSSP, but I do know that going to an SSPX mass will NOT satisfy your sunday obligation.
[/quote]

SSPX Mass* will* satisfy the Sunday obligation. The letter from Msgr. Perl of the Ecclesia Dei Commission clearly says that one can fulfill their Sunday obligation by assisting at an SSPX Mass. One can also contribute monetarily.

His second question was “Is it a sin for me to attend a Pius X Mass” and we responded stating:

“2. We have already told you that we cannot recommend your attendance at such a Mass and have explained the reason why. If your primary reason for attending were to manifest your desire to separate yourself from communion with the Roman Pontiff and those in communion with him, it would be a sin. If your intention is simply to participate in a Mass according to the 1962 Missal for the sake of devotion, this would not be a sin.”

His third question was: “Is it a sin for me to contribute to the Sunday collection a Pius X Mass” to which we responded:

“3. It would seem that a modest contribution to the collection at Mass could be justified.”

Just remember that the situation concerning the SSPX is not as cut and dried or black and white as most everyone here seems to think. It’s actually a much more complex than it seems.

[quote=Fox]May I go to a SSPX or a FSSP Mass and fullfill my Sunday obligations.
[/quote]

The FSSP was established by Pope John Paul himself.

[quote=Dropper]SSPX Mass* will* satisfy the Sunday obligation. The letter from Msgr. Perl of the Ecclesia Dei Commission clearly says that one can fulfill their Sunday obligation by assisting at an SSPX Mass. One can also contribute monetarily.

Just remember that the situation concerning the SSPX is not as cut and dried or black and white as most everyone here seems to think. It’s actually a much more complex than it seems.
[/quote]

Alright, I may have been wrong then, but none the less it is discouraged that a person attend a SSPX mass.

1.) The priests of the Society of St. Pius X are validly ordained, but they are suspended from exercising their priestly functions. To the extent that they adhere to the schism of the late Archbishop Lefebvre, they are also excommunicated.

2.) Concretely this means that the Masses offered by these priests are valid, but illicit i.e., contrary to the law of the Church.

Points 1 and 3 in our letter of 27 September 2002 to this correspondent are accurately reported. His first question was “Can I fulfill my Sunday obligation by attending a Pius X Mass” and our response was:

“1. In the strict sense you may fulfill your Sunday obligation by attending a Mass celebrated by a priest of the Society of St. Pius X.”

Dropper, you are partially correct: E.E.N.S. you are absolutely correct! The circumstances under which one may perform one’s Sunday obligation (and contribute) by attending an SSPX Mass are **conditional. **

The same circumstances apply to attending ANY Mass performed by vagrants or schismatics or heretics. Extreme circumstances activate the activating condition; not liking the local pastor or “quality” of the liturgy do NOT qualify.

There is no doubt that exercising one’s “preference” for the Latin Liturgy - as approved by the Holy See - and attending the FSSP is both lawful and praiseworthy.

Here is what Ecclesia Dei says…

In the present circumstances I wish especially to make an appeal both solemn and heartfelt, paternal and fraternal, to all those who until now have been linked in various ways to the movement of Archbishop Lefebvre, that they may fulfill the grave duty of remaining united to the vicar of Christ in the unity of the Catholic Church and of ceasing their support in any way for that movement. Everyone should be aware that formal adherence to the schism is a grave offense against God and carries the penalty of excommunication decreed by the church’s law. To all those Catholic faithful who feel attached to some previous liturgical and disciplinary forms of the Latin tradition, I wish to manifest my will to facilitate their ecclesial communion by means of the necessary measures to guarantee respect for their rightful aspirations. In this matter I ask for the support of the bishops and of all those engaged in the pastoral ministry in the church.

FSSP is OK, SSPX is not OK

[quote=Fox]May I go to a SSPX or a FSSP Mass and fullfill my Sunday obligations.
[/quote]

Ask God, do what he says.

[quote=y2daddy]Ask God, do what he says.
[/quote]

Direct revelation? Maybe we should instead find out via God’s Church, the Catholic Church?

[quote=y2daddy]Ask God, do what he says.
[/quote]

That often
seems to fail. Mohammed asked God what to do and was told to take more wives and to slay the infidels (i.e. you and me)

Joseph Smith asked God what to do and he was apparently told to write a book and do his best to convince everyone to believe it was from God, no matter what ridiculous things it might contain.

Jim Jones asked God what to do and was apparently told it was time to pass around the kool-aid.

Private revelation can be a dangerous thing unless one makes sure that such revelation is in line w/ what the Church teaches.

James

[quote=Chalice]Direct revelation? Maybe we should instead find out via God’s Church, the Catholic Church?
[/quote]

That’s not what I meant. I was implying that the person in question should pray about it and then make a decision and not worry about taking a poll first.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.