SSPX & FSSP relationship now?

Golly gee…one day I might have to be spoon fed .OK later on I will look up those initials…but now I most go and pray … Just might have to look them up during the week. God bless as saint Paul says pray always…

FSSP is Fraternal Society of Saint Peter

SSPX is Society of Saint Pius the X

Sometimes you will see SSPX abbreviated as FSSPX, which can be confusing but is just adding “fraternal” to their initials.

Both are traditional Catholic priestly societies.

2 Likes

These are all Latin, roughly translated.
SSPX is Society of St Pius X, no longer recognized by the Church.
FSSP is Fraternal Society of St Peter, which is recognized. It originally consisted of former SSPX, but by now is likely mostly men who never belonged to that.

Novus Ordo means New Order (of the Mass). The proper term now is Ordinary Form, the vernacular firm used in the great majority of churches in the Latin Rite. The EF Extraordinary form) is the alternative form used by both SSPX and FSSP, and some others.

I suggest avoiding use of Novus Ordo term, partly because it is not the current term, but also it has been used as a form of disparaging, such as Novus Ordo Priest, Novus Ordo Church, or the N. O. Mass , as in No Mass.

6 Likes

I’ll avoid saying much for I know that it ain’t trendy to defend the SSPX here, but what I say to the OP is this, ask this back at fisheaters. While traditionals are a minority here, they are the majority there, so it would be far easier to obtain a good answer from them.

8 Likes

This is not exactly correct. The SSPX are recognized by the Church and are in conversation with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the faith. There are areas where they do not have licit and valid status but there are areas that they do.

Pope Francis in March of 2017 gave diocesan bishops the authorization to grant priests of the SSPX the ability to celebrate licitly and validly marriages of the faithful who follow the Society’s pastoral activity.

And in September 2015, the Pope said that the faithful would be able to validly and licitly receive absolution from priests of the SSPX during the Jubilee Year of Mercy and he then extended that ability indefinitely…

This is a priestly order instituted by Saint Pope Paul VI in 1988 in response to the SSPX. I do believe, yes, that many who were originally in the SSPX did join the FSSP after it was initiated.

2 Likes

I would also add this to you OP:
Here the SSPX is often portrayed as the twirling mustache villain, while the FSSP is seen as some sort of good guy or hero, so I don’t believe you’ll obtain a good answer here.
As said before, ask at fisheaters.

3 Likes

Cult

Blatantly obvious.

6 Likes

I agree. If they were not a cult, they would not have made the rejection of a legitimate Roman Catholic apostolate a condition for acceptance into their group.

The SSPX has effectively spun out of the Catholic orbit and is now acting as an independent group with no meaningful connection to the RCC.

Hard to blame the RCC for this. Pope Benedict bent over backwards to accommodate them, and only ended up with egg on his face by way of thanks. What a PR disaster that was.

4 Likes

facepalm

See what I mean?

5 Likes

No

If members of the SSPX chapel attempt to dictate to someone how they are to practice Catholicism, that is a cult mentality.

There’s no other way to describe it. It’s also passing judgment on fellow Catholics.

I experienced the same at my local SSPX Chapel. Their way or no way. No problem, no way works for me.

2 Likes

wow

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I do appreciate it. :innocent::innocent::innocent::pray:

1 Like

In all charity, not quite true. They are still in conversation with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. They are valid orders but only have legal status in certain areas, such as confession, and valid marriages, both allowed by Pope Francis.

1 Like

Actually some areas have been given permission to use the pre-1962 missals for certain occasions (such as Holy Week).

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was trying to avoid a SSPX vs. FSSP debate here, but I guess that was wishful thinking. I think I’ve found what I wanted to know, that this is more of a local thing than the norm in the SSPX. Enjoyed a very nice high Latin Mass this afternoon — this is only the fourth public Latin Mass for this priest (the pastor of the parish). He’s also added kneelers for all masses (Ordinary or Extraordinary), so those who want to kneel to receive the Host on their tongue can do so. (During the one Extraordinary mass each month there is a whole row of kneelers, as the Host on the tongue while kneeling is all that is offered.) Also, just recently (during Lent) the Bishop in this diocese has re-instituted the prayer to St. Michael after low masses and he’s required that during all masses parishioners kneel after the Agnus Dei. It was the bishop who requested that our pastor give a Latin Mass once a month, which about 200 to 250 attend (the first Latin Mass had 350 attendees but some of that was curiosity, I think).

6 Likes

Thank you very much. This was very helpful and gratefully appreciate it. :pray:🙋

I wish I had advice to offer you, but I don’t, and I certainly can’t speak to the relationship between the SSPX and FSSP in general. I can tell you this though. In my area, a significant number of SSPX attendees split their time between the local chapel and the diocesan TLMs, and there does not seem to be any bad blood anywhere. Furthermore, while I have never personally been to the SSPX chapel located within my diocese, I have gone through their webpage a few times, and have been pleasantly surprised to see articles and announcements written by diocesan bishops. There is also a national shrine within my diocese, and the SSPX clergy and lay faithful frequently make pilgrimages there right alongside diocesan clergy and parishioners. Again, I know that this has nothing to do with your situation, but it does go to show that things are not that bad everywhere.

6 Likes

Oh really?
Which missal did they get permission to use? What is it some sort of temporary edict or permanent? Thank you for telling me this because honestly it bothered me. I knew the 1962 Missal didn’t include the Credo at every mass but before that it did and that was basically how I came to realize they were using an earlier missal.

They had permission to use the 1955 missal, if I’m not mistaken. And only some areas were allowed to use it.

It’s important to differentiate between “jurisdiction” given to individuals, and recognition for an organization.

Individual laity who go to confession with an SSPX priest have their sins forgiven. The SSPX organization does not have the ability to authorize anyone to preach, evangelize, offer pastoral care, to ordain, give retreats, or establish schools or chapels, let alone a parish.

The SSPX is not yet a FULLY separate denomination, like the PNCC or Old Catholics have gradually become, but it’s much closer to that than it was in the 1970s. The PNCC is also in conversation with the Vatican, as are many groups.

This doesn’t prove SSPX is a bad thing, but it’s more and more a separate thing. Each year there are fewer priests who have ever worked in a diocese, and more priests who have no clerical or lay experience or training outside SSPX.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.