SSPX

By Louie Verrecchio
Renew America
*April 11, 2012 *

See the FULL article at renewamerica.com/columns/verrecchio/120411

The doctrinal discussions between the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) and the Holy See — which commenced in 2009 to study such matters as the concept of Tradition, the interpretation of Vatican II and the Council's treatment of religious freedom — have arrived at what both parties agree is a critical juncture.

On March 16th, the Vatican Press Office issued a communique stating, "The response of the Society of St. Pius X to the aforesaid Doctrinal Preamble [up to this point]... is not sufficient to overcome the doctrinal problems which lie at the foundation of the rift between the Holy See and the Society of St. Pius X. [Yet] moved by concern to avoid an ecclesial rupture of painful and incalculable consequences, the Superior General of the Society was invited to clarify his position in order to be able to heal the existing rift, as is the desire of Pope Benedict XVI."

Recent signs may very well be pointing to an imminent family reunion of no less moment than the one described in the parable of the Prodigal Son. In any event, there are a number of reasons for optimism. Fr. Franz Schmidberger, District Superior of the German District of the SSPX penned a statement to be read in the Society chapels under his care on Sunday, March 25th, which stated in part: We have thus arrived at a crucial point. Even if the letter [of the Preamble] strikes an unpleasant sound, there are legitimate hopes for a satisfactory solution. If this solution would be reached it would considerably strengthen all the orthodox forces in the Church..

It appears to me that the Society is preparing its faithful for reconciliation under terms that may be less than perfect, but that nonetheless represent a pathway to healing for the Church as a whole. Please note: While one may be tempted to believe that the Society alone is doing all of the clarifying, rewording and conceding in this process, one of the benefits of having kept the Preamble's text secret is that it has afforded the Holy See an opportunity to contribute in like manner without any concern for the perceptions of others.

No, the pope doesn't need anyone to have his back in order to so rule, but for whatever reason it is clear that the Holy Father has exercised much restraint over the years. Could it be that (please, God!) he is preparing to take the gloves off?

As the effects of old age are increasingly making themselves known to Pope Benedict, so too are the evil intentions of his enemies who grow bolder by the day. Maybe the pope has decided that now is the time to engage Satan's minions full force with a bold program of restoration; one that will lead to the smaller more faithful Church he once envisioned.

My suspicions were only strengthened when Pope Benedict chose the occasion of his Chrism Mass homily to chastise a group of dissenting clerics purportedly consisting of over 300 Austrian priests who, among other things, are calling for female ordination and an end to priestly celibacy.

One should take note that the Holy Father did not say that "drastic measures" are not needed in order to overcome the present condition of the Church; rather, he pointed to zeal for the doctrine of the Faith as proposed by the teaching office of the Church as the real keys to renewal. In other words, one might reasonably believe that the Holy Father is telling us to prepare for the drastic measures that are in fact coming.

It may just be hopefulness on my part, but on Holy Thursday, Pope Benedict may have hinted at what the aforementioned program of restoration might include when he spoke so eloquently about the importance of kneeling.

"When menaced by the power of evil, as [Christians] kneel, they are upright before the world, while as sons and daughters, they kneel before the Father. Before God's glory we Christians kneel and acknowledge his divinity; by that posture we also express our confidence that he will prevail," he said invoking an imagery of battle.

Could it be that the Holy Father is signaling a universal mandate requiring the reception of Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue, something the SSPX and many others in the Church would surely welcome?

If this were not intriguing enough to the traditional mind, the pope's Easter Vigil homily offered more images of warfare as he stressed the tremendous value of knowing the doctrine of the faith.

"Light makes life possible. It makes encounter possible. It makes communication possible. It makes knowledge, access to reality and to truth, possible. And insofar as it makes knowledge possible, it makes freedom and progress possible. Evil hides. Light, then, is also an expression of the good that both is and creates brightness," the Holy Father continued. "It is daylight, which makes it possible for us to act. To say that God created light means that God created the world as a space for knowledge and truth, as a space for encounter and freedom, as a space for good and for love."

In juxtaposing knowledge, goodness and light with ignorance, evil and darkness, is it possible that the Holy Father is hinting at the dawn of a new day in the Church wherein heresy will once again be slayed as heretics are condemned and called to account with real consequences for sowing their evil seeds?

There is much we still don't know in this situation (not the least of which is the content of the Preamble), but of two things we can be absolutely certain: if and when the SSPX is regularized and the ministry of their priests and bishops is made licit, it will be a great blessing for the entire Church, and secondly, Her enemies will make themselves known with unbridled ferocity.

© Louie Verrecchio

[quote="giuseppeTO, post:1, topic:281225"]
By Louie Verrecchio

There is much we still don't know in this situation (not the least of which is the content of the Preamble), but of two things we can be absolutely certain: if and when the SSPX is regularized and the ministry of their priests and bishops is made licit, it will be a great blessing for the entire Church, and secondly, Her enemies will make themselves known with unbridled ferocity.

© Louie Verrecchio

[/quote]

So when can we expect an announcement? On the 15th?

I'm betting on some sort of announcement within two weeks of the 15th.

[/quote]

I whole-heartedly agree with this. What a blessing for the entire Church! And yes, indeed, there will be ferocious outcries from the enemies of the Faith (much like when the Motu Proprio "Summorum Pontificum" was issued).

Let us pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary and to St. Joseph that God's will be done concerning this matter.

• PAX

[quote="EcceAgnusDei, post:4, topic:281225"]
I whole-heartedly agree with this. What a blessing for the entire Church! And yes, indeed, there will be ferocious outcries from the enemies of the Faith (much like when the Motu Proprio "Summorum Pontificum" was issued).

Let us pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary and to St. Joseph that God's will be done concerning this matter.

• PAX

[/quote]

Amen, Amen, Amen Let us pray

Together we form only one person and we cannot be separated.

peace

Ave Maria...

Prayers for full reconciliation.

Prayers for Our Holy Father’s intentions as well as the regularization of the SSPX!!!

By Louie Verrecchio
Renew America
*April 11, 2012 *

See the FULL article at renewamerica.com/columns/verrecchio/120411

The doctrinal discussions between the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) and the Holy See — which commenced in 2009 to study such matters as the concept of Tradition, the interpretation of Vatican II and the Council's treatment of religious freedom — have arrived at what both parties agree is a critical juncture.

On March 16th, the Vatican Press Office issued a communique stating, "The response of the Society of St. Pius X to the aforesaid Doctrinal Preamble [up to this point]... is not sufficient to overcome the doctrinal problems which lie at the foundation of the rift between the Holy See and the Society of St. Pius X. [Yet] moved by concern to avoid an ecclesial rupture of painful and incalculable consequences, the Superior General of the Society was invited to clarify his position in order to be able to heal the existing rift, as is the desire of Pope Benedict XVI."

Recent signs may very well be pointing to an imminent family reunion of no less moment than the one described in the parable of the Prodigal Son. In any event, there are a number of reasons for optimism. Fr. Franz Schmidberger, District Superior of the German District of the SSPX penned a statement to be read in the Society chapels under his care on Sunday, March 25th, which stated in part: We have thus arrived at a crucial point. Even if the letter [of the Preamble] strikes an unpleasant sound, there are legitimate hopes for a satisfactory solution. If this solution would be reached it would considerably strengthen all the orthodox forces in the Church..

It appears to me that the Society is preparing its faithful for reconciliation under terms that may be less than perfect, but that nonetheless represent a pathway to healing for the Church as a whole. Please note: While one may be tempted to believe that the Society alone is doing all of the clarifying, rewording and conceding in this process, one of the benefits of having kept the Preamble's text secret is that it has afforded the Holy See an opportunity to contribute in like manner without any concern for the perceptions of others.

No, the pope doesn't need anyone to have his back in order to so rule, but for whatever reason it is clear that the Holy Father has exercised much restraint over the years. Could it be that (please, God!) he is preparing to take the gloves off?

As the effects of old age are increasingly making themselves known to Pope Benedict, so too are the evil intentions of his enemies who grow bolder by the day. Maybe the pope has decided that now is the time to engage Satan's minions full force with a bold program of restoration; one that will lead to the smaller more faithful Church he once envisioned.

My suspicions were only strengthened when Pope Benedict chose the occasion of his Chrism Mass homily to chastise a group of dissenting clerics purportedly consisting of over 300 Austrian priests who, among other things, are calling for female ordination and an end to priestly celibacy.

One should take note that the Holy Father did not say that "drastic measures" are not needed in order to overcome the present condition of the Church; rather, he pointed to zeal for the doctrine of the Faith as proposed by the teaching office of the Church as the real keys to renewal. In other words, one might reasonably believe that the Holy Father is telling us to prepare for the drastic measures that are in fact coming.

It may just be hopefulness on my part, but on Holy Thursday, Pope Benedict may have hinted at what the aforementioned program of restoration might include when he spoke so eloquently about the importance of kneeling.

"When menaced by the power of evil, as [Christians] kneel, they are upright before the world, while as sons and daughters, they kneel before the Father. Before God's glory we Christians kneel and acknowledge his divinity; by that posture we also express our confidence that he will prevail," he said invoking an imagery of battle.

Could it be that the Holy Father is signaling a universal mandate requiring the reception of Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue, something the SSPX and many others in the Church would surely welcome?

If this were not intriguing enough to the traditional mind, the pope's Easter Vigil homily offered more images of warfare as he stressed the tremendous value of knowing the doctrine of the faith.

"Light makes life possible. It makes encounter possible. It makes communication possible. It makes knowledge, access to reality and to truth, possible. And insofar as it makes knowledge possible, it makes freedom and progress possible. Evil hides. Light, then, is also an expression of the good that both is and creates brightness," the Holy Father continued. "It is daylight, which makes it possible for us to act. To say that God created light means that God created the world as a space for knowledge and truth, as a space for encounter and freedom, as a space for good and for love."

© Louie Verrecchio

[/quote]

Thanks for this post!:thumbsup:

Lets pray really hard every single day!!:highprayer::signofcross:

Pax,
Megan:gopray2:

Great insight! I too hope for a reunion.

Thanks for the post.
Amen and praying .:crossrc:

Lets pray.... At this moment, SSPX is the only key to traditional Catholicism in South-East Asia

Pater nostre,
Qui est in caelis,
Sanctificetur nomen tuum,
Adveniat regnum tuum,
Fiat voluntas tua,
Sicut in caelo et in terra.
Panem nostrem quotidianum da nobis hodie,
Dimitte nobis debita nostra et
Sicut dimitibus debitoribus nostris,
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
Sed libera nos a malo.
Amen. :signofcross:

Recent signs may very well be pointing to an imminent family reunion of no less moment than the one described in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

[/quote]

"“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’"*

Somehow I don't see the sspx taking on this role.

This is certainly crunch time, and I hope the SSPX is reconciled fully, for more than one reason…

Just pray and be patient folks.

Remember, this is not the first time that an SSPX regional superior has issued a statement only to be retracted by Bishop Felay. Until we hear from him, everything else is pure speculation.

This is hopeful speculation, but speculation nonetheless. If the SSPX functions like any other institute, no regional superior is allowed to speak for the organization or allowed to leak any information. Which mans that he is expressing his assessment of how things look to him. He seems very positive, but he’s not the man in charge.

Wait and pray.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV :slight_smile:

Which brings up the next difficulty, which is one of politics; how many (of SSPX supporters) would follow Bp. Fellay in the event of a reunion? I believe that will all depend on the basis of the (potential, purely speculative) reunion and how it is formulated.

Personally, I doubt it will ever happen, or (if it does) it will just cause another controversy and split. The Society is a complex animal with its own internal controversies.

That, I think, has always been a very real probability. I’ve heard it said before that the SSPX laity is even more sharp-toothed than the priests and bishops, and one could easily imagine Bishop Williamson leading such a schism, on the basis of his remarks.

Nonetheless, there will be a definitive resolution. If the SSPX is formally reintegrated into the Church and half the laity reject this, that half will be schismatic and the rest will be in communion with Rome. One way or another, the confusion and uncertainty surrounding SSPX’s canonical status will be resolved.

He (Bp. Williamson) certainly presents himself as a hard liner. I have even heard him say that Freemasonry effectively controls the Vatican now and has since Vatican 2. If anyone has the reputation of being a firm hard liner in the Society, it’s the Bishop. He could certainly lead such a group of dissenters in the event of a realized reunion that has doctrinal or practical consequences upon the day-to-day life and worship of the Society’s supporters - whether real or imagined.

What do you mean here by resolution? Do you mean on the part of one, or both, parties (presumably in agreement or each independently)?

The Vatican, I think, could certainly and unilaterally determine and articulate what, if any, canonical status the Society is to have or enjoy even without consulting the Society. But if you mean it is inevitable that a reunion or reconciliation is going to happen, then I would say that - at least at present - it could be argued in the inner circles of both parties that the status quo is best for the time being and the foreseeable future: Imagine if in an attempted reunion it unexpectedly resulted in something like a 60/40 split, with a large number of priests and Society property being retained by the dissenters, or even going over to the Sedevacantists? Neither party would want such an eventuality, at least as far as reason would suggest.

[quote="1AugustSon7, post:17, topic:281225"]
Which brings up the next difficulty, which is one of politics; how many (of SSPX supporters) would follow Bp. Fellay in the event of a reunion? I believe that will all depend on the basis of the (potential, purely speculative) reunion and how it is formulated.

Personally, I doubt it will ever happen, or (if it does) it will just cause another controversy and split. The Society is a complex animal with its own internal controversies.

[/quote]

That is a very real problem. But it's not going to be a problem for the Vatican, but for the Society to figure out. Or they may choose to do what the Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer did. Their superior general simply decided for the entire community to reconcile with Rome and told those who were opposed to the idea to leave. They left. The joined the SSPX and some SSPV.

[quote="sw85, post:18, topic:281225"]
That, I think, has always been a very real probability. I've heard it said before that the SSPX laity is even more sharp-toothed than the priests and bishops, and one could easily imagine Bishop Williamson leading such a schism, on the basis of his remarks.

Nonetheless, there will be a definitive resolution. If the SSPX is formally reintegrated into the Church and half the laity reject this, that half will be schismatic and the rest will be in communion with Rome. One way or another, the confusion and uncertainty surrounding SSPX's canonical status will be resolved.

[/quote]

There is going to be a resolution and it's going to be soon. The Vatican has had it. The Vatican never gives any group such narrow deadlines as it has given to the SSPX this time. It gave the Society only one month to say what the Vatican wants to hear. It's not inviting the Society to dialogue. A request to clarify means just that. "Are you with us or not?"

The other part of the Vatican statement was very telling. It laid the schism on Bishop Felay's conscience. It's not taking any responsibility for the schism. That was very evident.

[quote="1AugustSon7, post:19, topic:281225"]
He (Bp. Williamson) certainly presents himself as a hard liner. I have even heard him say that Freemasonry effectively controls the Vatican now and has since Vatican 2. If anyone has the reputation of being a firm hard liner in the Society, it's the Bishop. He could certainly lead such a group of dissenters in the event of a realized reunion that has doctrinal or practical consequences upon the day-to-day life and worship of the Society's supporters - whether real or imagined.

[/quote]

Unless he changed his mind he said that he would become a sedevacantist before agreeing to the preamble.

The Vatican, I think, could certainly and unilaterally determine and articulate what, if any, canonical status the Society is to have or enjoy even without consulting the Society.

This would be determined by the Sacred Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. The current SSPX infrastructure qualifies as a Society Apostolic Life, if the Sacred Congregation approves its constitutions as they are. The other possibilities are an ordinariate or a prelature. In that case, that Sacred Congregation would not be involved. It would continue to be the Congregation for the Faith. Prelatures and Ordinariates are under them.

But if you mean it is inevitable that a reunion or reconciliation is going to happen, then I would say that - at least at present - it could be argued in the inner circles of both parties that the status quo is best for the time being and the foreseeable future: Imagine if in an attempted reunion it unexpectedly resulted in something like a 60/40 split, with a large number of priests and Society property being retained by the dissenters, or even going over to the Sedevacantists? Neither party would want such an eventuality, at least as far as reason would suggest.

Rumor has it that at this point, the committee felt that this is inevitable today or next year. The recommendation of the committee is to get it over and done with. There are people who are going to come along and people who will turn away. You will never find a solution that will please everyone. The greatest concern of the CDF is that the laity is not becoming involved in the internal affairs of the SSPX. This is dangerous to the laity. It's one thing to be friendly and kind to them or to attend mass a their chapel and quite another thing to take their side against the Vatican. The Holy Father gave a talk about this at one of his audiences. He did not mention the SSPX by name, but did mention those who want reform without communion of governance. The SSPX is not alone under that umbrella.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.