St. Andrew Christmas Novena starts today, Nov. 30

Pray this prayer 15 times a day from Nov. 30 to Dec. 24 for your intention.

I will be praying it this year 30 times a day because I forgot to repeat it the 15 times last year, and when I tried to catch up on it in the Cathedral before Midnight Mass, some girl in front of me got upset that I was whispering prayers while she was trying to record the pre-Mass songs of the choir on her iPhone. And then it was time for Mass, so I didn’t get it all finished.

5 Likes

I’ve only become aware of this practice in the last few years. I’m going to try again this year.

1. Does anyone know the significance of the number 15?
  2. Is it connected to St. Andrew in some way other than it starting on his feast day?
  3. Why do we call it a novena?
4 Likes

This is one novena that I pray every year!

2 Likes

Never heard of this, I will do it this year, thank you for sharing. :heart:

2 Likes

From what I have read:

• No one is sure of exactly why 15, but people see it as similar to the 15 mysteries of the Rosary which derived from the recitation of the 150 Psalms. The repetition is thought to be meditative.

• No connection to St. Andrew other than it starts on his day. One webpage says it is more rightly called the “St. Andrew to Christmas Novena”.

• “Novena” is the word for any repeated prayer. It does not have to be 9 days or a set of 9.

4 Likes

Thank you! I knew I could count on you! My local friends didn’t know.

3 Likes

Any certain times of day?

No. You can do it whenever you have time.

If I did not start this yesterday, could I do so today and just do 30 repetitions to make up for the lost day?

Sure. I do stuff like that all the time when I miss a day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.