St. Augustine quote and Luke 15:2

In his homily today our priest quoted St. Augustine as saying something to the effect that "every altar should have '[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"This man receives sinners and eats with them." engraved on its front."

I was very deeply moved by this and asked him after Mass where he found it and he said he never has, but it was something that he heard many times in seminary.

I've tried Google and even asked a very holy and knowledgeable buddy of mine and had no luck, so I'm wondering if any of you have seen this and know where it might be found. I promised to email it to Fr. G if I find it.[/FONT]

[quote="Church_Militant, post:1, topic:339299"]
In his homily today our priest quoted St. Augustine as saying something to the effect that "every altar should have '[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"This man receives sinners and eats with them." engraved on its front."
I was very deeply moved by this and asked him after Mass where he found it and he said he never has, but it was something that he heard many times in seminary.
I've tried Google and even asked a very holy and knowledgeable buddy of mine and had no luck, so I'm wondering if any of you have seen this and know where it might be found. I promised to email it to Fr. G if I find it.[/FONT]

[/quote]

Not Augustine. This was from the Pharisees.

credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/catholic-bible-douay-rheims-nt-book-luke-lk-chapter-15/49/15/2

You misunderstand...

Apparently St. Augustine said that that part of verse 2 should be carved on every altar because it's absolutely true and expresses the and mercy of God that we all need.

[quote="Church_Militant, post:3, topic:339299"]
You misunderstand...

Apparently St. Augustine said that that part of verse 2 should be carved on every altar because it's absolutely true and expresses the and mercy of God that we all need.

[/quote]

Sorry, I was looking at the highlighted portion. :)

Three possibilities:
1. This story is a legend
2. This story has been passed down orally
3. This story is written somewhere that doesn't exist on the internet (yes, such resources exist.. and they're much better than the stuff on the internet!)

As a fourth, additional point, I've added nothing of value and have failed to tell you anything you didn't already know! :thumbsup:

[quote="StThomasRocks, post:5, topic:339299"]
Three possibilities:
3. This story is written somewhere that doesn't exist on the internet (yes, such resources exist.. and they're much better than the stuff on the internet!)

As a fourth, additional point, I've added nothing of value and have failed to tell you anything you didn't already know! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:D

[quote="irenaeuslyons, post:4, topic:339299"]
Sorry, I was looking at the highlighted portion. :)

[/quote]

No problem my friend. Thanks for the effort. :thumbsup:

[quote="StThomasRocks, post:5, topic:339299"]
Three possibilities:

[/quote]

Well all are certainly possibilities.

One super knowledgeable buddy pointed out that there are a real overabundance of writings by Augustine, to the point where he says that he doubts that the Augustinians have even read them all. :shrug:

[quote="Church_Militant, post:7, topic:339299"]
No problem my friend. Thanks for the effort. :thumbsup:
Well all are certainly possibilities.

One super knowledgeable buddy pointed out that there are a real overabundance of writings by Augustine, to the point where he says that he doubts that the Augustinians have even read them all. :shrug:

[/quote]

You would have to be one dedicated person to read all his writings! You'd also have to have a great handle on Latin. :o

That's what I hear.

It would certainly be thought provoking to look at that saying during the entire Mass. Maybe it would induce some serious soul searching from the congregation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.