St.Augustine quote on frequent confession

“Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear “man” - this is what God has made; when you hear “sinner” - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made . . … When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.” - ST. AUG

AMEN!!!

What does this quote say about frequent confession?:confused:

Great! Thanks!

I think it essentially means because we are such sinners, we need to frequent confession in order to accuse ourselves of our sins, confess them, and strive to rid ourselves of the label “sinner” and become saints. I remember my priest saying something about St. Augustine becoming more of a sinner the holier he became. Not because he sinned more, but because his conscience grew more delicate and he was more aware of all his sins that he hadn’t been aware of before. Since I started reading the moral theology book I bought that actually explains sin, what it is, all the ways a person can sin, the virtues, cardinal sins, the 10 Commandments, etc I am even more aware of all my many sins that I hadn’t even realized were sins. Blegh. I feel so dirty. :frowning:

I agree with this. ^ ^

I think that anyone who takes frequent advantage of the awesome sacrament of Reconciliation will attest to these effects.

Okay. Gotcha and I agree.

I guess I was expecting to see a quote on **frequent **confession. This is a quote on confession in general. Great quote though!

Deo Gratias42, (1) what’s the name of that book and (2) is it a very difficult read (in the sense of being very arcane)? Thanks!

The book is “Moral Theology” by Rev. Heribert Jone. I don’t find it difficult to read, but it’s not like reading most books. It’s a reference book aimed at priests first and then the laity. It requires a degree of intelligence and reading comprehension. Some things are pretty simple to follow, and some require some thought and deductive reasoning in order to apply the principles to your particular circumstances, but it’s not some abstract piece of philosophy. If you can use words like “arcane” you should be able to get through the book.

One thing you have to look out for is that the Canon Law is out of date and not correct (at least in the edition I have from 1951. The 1993 edition is probably accurate) and so some of the things on marriage aren’t correct, etc. Since faith and morals don’t change, that part is correct, and as a lay person it’s all I really care about. The other stuff is just interesting to read. I especially like that it explains the Sacrament of Penance and what information the priest needs to know to make proper judgements in order to give absolution and what have you.

Tonight was my first confession since going through it, and I found my examination of conscience had more breadth to it and was thus able to give a more complete confession.

I will give a warning. If you’re the type of person who has issues with impure thoughts and controlling them, I would recommend either not reading this book, or skipping over the sections on sins of impurity. While they’re not graphic at all, the book uses what I call “moral theology terms” when referring to things, and some of them you might find yourself having to think about what they mean by that. If you can’t control your thoughts, you could easily have them go off into forbidden areas.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.