St. Dominic preached against an anti-life heresy. Sound familiar?

In the thirteenth century, St. Dominic preached to people who had been confused by Albigensianism, in which it was believed that only pure spirit was good, and matter was evil. Suicide was commendable. Marriage morals could be discarded since marriage involved the physical world. Matrimonial intercourse was seen as unlawful. Concubinage, being of a less permanent nature, was preferable to marriage.
sistersop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/St-Dominic-Rosary-Virgin-Unruhe.jpg

Click on the image to read the story of St. Dominic

Do you see any signs of this type of error today?

Read about the life of St. Dominic on the website of the Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception.

I appreciate your point, but you’re ruining a pretty good joke.

Two young men were discussing the idea of a vocation to the priesthood.

The first young man says to the second young man…“well I’ve narrowed it down to a choice between two religious orders; the Dominicans and the Jesuits.”

“Very good”, says the second young man, “I’m sure you’d be in very good hands with either one of those orders.”

“Could you tell me anything about them which might help me in making my decision?” says the first young man.

“Well, the Dominicans were founded by St. Dominic and played a major role in fighting the Albigensian heresy, while the Jesuits were founded by St.Ignatius and played a major role in fighting the Protestant reformation”, says the second young man.

"Well…what’s the difference?? says the first young man.

Says the second young man, “Seen any Albigensians lately??!!”

Like my high school chemistry teacher once said in 1958: “There’s nothing new under the sun.”

Also, historian Paul Johnson said, “The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in numerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.”

What is irritating are the people who come up with these ideas think they have had an original thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.