St. Dymphna: Prayer on behalf of those afflicted with Mental Illness

Lord Jesus Christ, You have willed that St. Dymphna should be invoked by thousands of clients as the patroness of nervous and mental disease, and have brought it about that her interest in these patients should be an inspiration to and an ideal of charity throughout the world. Grant that through the prayers of this youthful martyr of purity, those who suffer from nervous and mental illness everywhere on earth may be helped and consoled. I recommend to you in particular (here mention those you wish to pray for).
Be pleased to hear the prayers of St. Dymphna and of your Blessed Mother, Help of the sick and Comforter of the afflicted, on behalf of those I recommend to the love and compassion of your Sacred Heart. Give them patience to bear with their affliction and resignation to do your divine will. Give them the consolation they need and especially the cure they so much desire, if it be Your will. May we all serve Your suffering members which may merit for us the reward of being united forever in Heaven with You, our Divine Head, who lives and reigns with the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit forever. Amen.

Dear mslizzie,

My wife prays to St. Dymphna quite often. I think she prays to be relieved from depression.I pray that allthosewho suffer from these illnesses would be given God’s grace to conform with His most holy will. This is a sure route to solace and the comfort of our Lord’s embrace.

I pray also for the empathy I need for those who suffer in this way. I am not very good at understanding mental illness. Although I believe that such illnesses do exist, and that there are people that are legitimatly ill. I believe that many in our culture are encouraged to consider themselves sick, instead of addressing other faults or problems that can be very distressful.

I wish the best to all those who are suffering.

Peace,
Tom

I also encourage you to pray to St. Dymphna; dedicate a Novena specifically for those afflicted with mental illness. Mental illness is very real and many people are either undiagnosed or under diagnosed while some do in fact hide behind the guise of having a condition that excuses away irrational and downright mean behavior. I work in the courts, so I see a lot of both. My heart breaks when I see someone with mental illness because they are so lost. I see the anguish families endure and I see the benefits of treatment. People with mental illness hurt themselves and others and they just cannot make a connection to reality.

If it is God’s will for you, I pray that He will guide you as you pray and provide you with the experiences you need for the insight you seek. I also pray for you wife.

Song

And I do believe her feast day is May 15th - but you may want to double check that. If you’re making a novena - one in preparation for her feast day would be great.

Yes, her feast day is May 15th.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.