St. Edmund’s Ordinariate Liturgy

Hi all,

I’m a Catholic candidate who’s reading and learning a lot in a short period of time. A friend I’ve met, and fellow Protestant convert to Catholicism, attends a church in town that advertises as being run “Under the Guidance of the Religious of the Congregation of the Resurrection”.

They offer something they call “St. Edmund’s Ordinariate Liturgy”.

This Jan. 1st, for us Canadians, is an obligatory feast day for Mary, Mother of God. This so-called “St. Edmund’s Ordinariate Liturgy” is being held at 9am at this parish on Jan. 1.

I have lots of questions. First, what does it mean when a parish is run under the guidance of a religious congregation like this. It’s very close to another Catholic parish in town and they seemingly overlap in their geography.

Second, what is St. Edmund’s Ordinariate Liturgy?

The parish website is here, for those looking for more information:
stmarysrcchurch.ca/

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks, and God bless.

This church is listed as a parish by the diocese of Hamilton, so I would be assured that it is legitimate.

What does it mean when a parish is run under the guidance of a religious congregation like this. It’s very close to another Catholic parish in town and they seemingly overlap in their geography.

It is not uncommon for a diocesan parish to be served by priests of a religious order, with the permission of the local bishop. I assume that you know the difference between diocesan priests and those of a religious order.

What is St. Edmund’s Ordinariate Liturgy?

It is an Anglican Use liturgy, created for Anglican converts to Catholicism.

See:

stedmund.ca/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ordinariate

Thanks for the information, that really helps!

You should definitely go there for Mass, either on Jan. 1 or another day.
Ours is a beautiful liturgy, based in part on the Book of Common Prayer of the Anglican Church and in part on the ancient missals of the pre-reformation English church.
The celebrant faces the altar, the vestments are more elaborate, the service is generally more sung than said… it is a beautiful testimony to the timelessness of the Universal Church!

God Bless you on your journey through RCIA!
and “WELCOME HOME!”

Andy
Clerk,
Society of St. Gregory the Great
Anglican Ordinariate Use

So pleasing to read posts like this. I understand the US has Anglican Use prayer books in place already, however, if looking for a beautiful bound and produced form of the Offices I highly recommend The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham!

If I’m reading their schedule correctly, only one of the masses is celebrated according to the Ordinariate Use. The other masses appear to be according to the OF of the Roman Rite.

The “more elaborate vestments”, ad orientem (celebrant facing the altar), chant, etc can all be found in some ordinary form parishes as well :).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.