St Francis of Asissi......

who would like to follow his footsteps?.. such a humble man isnt he?

Oh, I would! :slight_smile:
Isn’t it amazing how each Saint lived for Christ, yet had their own specific personality. St. Francis sure was special.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]who would like to follow his footsteps?.. such a humble man isnt he?
[/quote]

Secular Franciscans strive to follow in his footsteps. Are you a Secular?

Yeah,i love st francis…

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Secular Franciscans strive to follow in his footsteps. Are you a Secular?
[/quote]

I have just entered into canidacie and I love it so far. St Francis has always been my favorite. As a child I remember wnating to be like him. I even named my son after him.

[quote=MonicaC]I have just entered into canidacie and I love it so far. St Francis has always been my favorite. As a child I remember wnating to be like him. I even named my son after him.
[/quote]

Good for you.

St. Francis has always been special to me, too. When I was Episcopalian I started attending a Lay Order of Franciscans, but didn’t continue with it after I got married. A great book about him, especially his love for God and joy as a saint, is G. K. Chestertons’ “St. Francis”. The text is online here: St. Francis. Or it can be purchased through Ignatius Press.

We were in Italy at Christmas time. We stayed outside of Asissi (in a little town called Canara) for 5 days. One of the most moving experiences of the trip - after Midnight Mass w/ JPII - was seeing the tunics and other relics of Sts. Francis and Claire. I couldn’t tear myself away from the display. I just wanted to stare at it. —KCT

St. Francis of Assisi was my confirmation saint. Everyone kept trying to convince me to pick a female St. Frances, but I wanted him, and I chose him.

One of the things I would like to do before I die is to visit the cucifix of San Damiano, which was so instrumental in his conversion story.

I am also very much attracted to the Sisters of Saint Francis of the Eucharist, and all the work they do to help children.

And I have been influenced greatly by Padre Pio, who was also a Fransican.

[quote=serendipity]One of the things I would like to do before I die is to visit the cucifix of San Damiano, which was so instrumental in his conversion story.

I am also very much attracted to the Sisters of Saint Francis of the Eucharist, and all the work they do to help children.

And I have been influenced greatly by Padre Pio, who was also a Fransican.
[/quote]

St. Francis is one of a few saints that are much loved by those of other religions. Even in the bible belt.

[quote=Deacon Tony560]St. Francis is one of a few saints that are much loved by those of other religions. Even in the bible belt.
[/quote]

Very true! He is perceived of as being universally virtuous, and some on that any one can admire, and some onw whom most people know something about. And he got that way by trying to be the best Catholic he could; dedicating every aspect of his life to God.

Fortuantely, I will be leaving the Bible belt soon. I wish I realized more about the universal appreciation of Saint Francis earlier, to help direct all the “are you saved” conversations that spring out of the wood work here from complete strangers.

:heart: If you can find it, i saw a lovely movie about him as he grew up, and what transpired in his life to make the choices and vocation that he did. Myself, as a young teenager, it’s memory has still lasted quite vividly. It is a Franco Zeforelli film called, “BROTHER SON, SISTER MOON.” (not sure on the spelling)

I can still hear the music, as the credits were rolling, with the self titled song playing!

:heart: :whistle: :heart:

I saw that movie while I was thinking of joining the Order and liked it a lot. There is also a book called The Passionate Troubador that just came out about him about a year ago or so. It’s a fictionalized story of his life.

[quote=KCT]We were in Italy at Christmas time. We stayed outside of Asissi (in a little town called Canara) for 5 days. One of the most moving experiences of the trip - after Midnight Mass w/ JPII - was seeing the tunics and other relics of Sts. Francis and Claire. I couldn’t tear myself away from the display. I just wanted to stare at it. —KCT
[/quote]

I know very little of St Francis. But I intend to learn quickly.
Over the holiday weekend we visited my wifes grandmother (a lay Franciscan). At one point she left the room and came back with a gift for us. It was a First Order Relic of St Francis!
She wanted it to be passed down in the family and decided to give it to us because we have 5 kids. (Advantages of a big family I guess).
I still haven’t quite goten over it. My wife and oldest daughter aren’t so sure about have a piece of someone around.:eek: So, I plan to have us learn alot about St Francis this summer.

You are very fortunate to have this relic. Our Secular Franciscan Order has one, also. The members take turns having it in their homes.

I love St. Francis, and try to follow in his footsteps, as I am able, although my efforts are often just paltry little baby steps. :slight_smile:

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

hey, isn’t each step closer to god…they all count! To desire to walk further is our inner hunger…this is good!

Dear friends

I love St Francis and take a lot on board about his spirituality even though I am a formative TO’Carm. By that I don’t mean I am like him, I can only try and strive to be like him, but there is alot about him that I would love to develop into my own spirituality.

I am currently reading a very old book I picked up in a secondhand charity shop called ‘The Little Flowers of St Francis’ by Raphael Brown. It’s a beautiful read and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how the Brothers in St Francis order emulated his spirituality and the fruits it bore for them.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]I am currently reading a very old book I picked up in a secondhand charity shop called ‘The Little Flowers of St Francis’ by Raphael Brown. It’s a beautiful read and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how the Brothers in St Francis order emulated his spirituality and the fruits it bore for them.

[/quote]

For those who can’t find this book in a second-hand shop, it’s still available from booksellers as a new book.

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.