St. George : Today we celebrate his life

St. George** (4th century)
George was a soldier and martyr. He gave all he had to he poor. He is best known for the Golden Legend – slaying a dragon. In the 15th century his feast day was as popular as Christmas.

He really suffered in his martyrdom. We should remember and honor him for his life and sacrifices. St. George, pray for us!

He was great.

Don’t forget who the dragon is.

ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=126805
Pope (George Mary) Francis: How His Names Reveal His Vision
Jorge Mario Bergoglio is now better known as Pope Francis. the three keys to this pontificate would be humility, reform and evangelization.

Jorge (George)
George is also a legendary saint who slew a dragon. And Pope Francis is a fighter. His words call us back to Christ and away from the enemy of our souls, who is the enemy of our own happiness. He knows this fight is not in the abstract, but in the everyday, and that it is a spiritual battle with powers greater than our own. George slew the dragon by the power of God, not the power of George.

ewtn.com/new_evangelization/asia/holiness/saints2.htm
SAINT GEORGE Martyr - AD c.303 (April 23)
The extraordinary devotion of all Christendom to this saint is an authentic proof how glorious his triumph and name have always been in the church. All his acts relate that he suffered under Diocletian at Nicomedia. Joseph Assemani6 shows, from the unanimous consent of all churches, that he was crowned on the 23rd of April.

According to the account given us by Metaphrastes, he was born in Cappadocia, of noble Christian parents. After the death of his father he went with his mother into Palestine, she being a native of that country, and having there a considerable estate, which fell to her son George. He was strong and robust in body, and having embraced the profession of a soldier, was made a tribune, or colonel, in the army. By his courage and conduct he was soon preferred to higher stations by the Emperor Diocletian.

When that prince waged war against the Christian religion, St. George laid aside the marks of his dignity, threw up his commission and posts, and complained to the emperor himself of his severities and bloody edicts. He was immediately cast into prison, and tried, first by promises, and afterwards put to the question and tortured with great cruelty; but nothing could shake his constancy. The next day he was led through the city and beheaded. Some think him to have been the same illustrious young man who tore down the edicts when they were first fixed up at Nicomedia, as Lactantius relates in his book, On the Death of the Persecutors, and Eusebius in his history.7

The reason why St. George has been regarded as the patron of military men is partly upon the score of his profession, and partly upon the credit of a relation of his appearing to the Christian army in the holy war, before the battle of Antioch. The success of this battle proving fortunate to the Christians, under Godfrey of Bouillon, made the name of St. George more famous in Europe and disposed the military men to implore more particularly his intercession.

This devotion was confirmed, as it is said, by an apparition of St. George to our king, Richard I, in his expedition against the Saracens; which vision being declared to the troops, was to them a great encouragement, and they soon after defeated the enemy.8 St. George is usually painted on horseback and tilting at a dragon under his feet; but this representation is no more than an emblematical figure, purporting that by his faith and Christian fortitude he conquered the devil, called the dragon in the Apocalypse.

ewtn.com/library/PRAYER/NOVGEOR.TXT
INVOCATION OF ST. GEORGE

FAITHFUL servant of God and invincible martyr, St. George; favored
by God with the gift of faith, and inflamed with an ardent love of
Christ, thou didst fight valiantly against the dragon of pride,
falsehood, and deceit. Neither pain nor torture, sword nor death
could part thee from the love of Christ.

I fervently implore thee
for the sake of this love to help me by thy intercession to
overcome the temptations that surround me, and to bear bravely the
trials that oppress me, so that I may patiently carry the cross
which is placed upon me; and let neither distress nor difficulties
separate me from the love of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Valiant
champion of the Faith, assist me in the combat against evil, that
I may win the crown promised to them that persevere unto the end.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.