St. Gertrude the Great (1256-1301)

Last year, just before all Saints Day I heard Sister Angelica speak of St. Gertrude the great and her prayer that releases 1,000 souls from purgatory each time it is said. Since I teach religious ed at my church I thought it would be a great thing to share with my class. After much searching I found prayer cards with the prayer. Further research now has me asking two questions. I read that St. Gertrude was never formally canonized. Is she a saint? Why/How did this pray come to be? I read the Lord told St. Gertrude that the pray would release the souls…that she was a schloar, a mystic, and devoted to the sacred heart. Any information would be most helpful ~ thanks

Does anyone know where I could get some of St. Gertrude the Great’s writings in the original latin?

• Kathie :bowdown:

Saint Gertrude the Great bio.

Link to online text of Saint Gertrude’s Legatus Divinae Pietatis

No luck with similar links to her other two existing works.

– Mark L. Chance.

incredible - the seats of learning provided by our early monasteries seem almost to overflow with great minds.

Be sure to visit the Mission to Empty Purgatory (MTEP) online at mtep.com where you can learn all about the prayer of St. Gertrude the Great and how we can help to empty Purgatory by saying the prayer daily.

THANK YOU …this information was just what I needed!!! :thumbsup:

the only question left…if she was not formally canonized is she still a saint? :confused:

[quote=stargazer]the only question left…if she was not formally canonized is she still a saint? :confused:
[/quote]

The formal canonization process used today by the Church has not always been used by the Church.

– Mark L. Chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.