St. Ignatius of Antioch, disciple of the Apostle John, and the early Protestants

My post 2000 + 1, and I wanted to ask about Eucharist. :slight_smile:

I was wondering how early Protestants thought about St. Ignatius of Antioch’s speaking of Eucharist?

Did they think he was wrong for saying this:

St. Ignatius of Antioch, disciple of the Apostle John, concerning the
heretics of his day wrote: “They have abstained from the Eucharist and prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Saviour Jesus Christ.”

and…today, how often Protestants think of those disciples such as St. Ignatius?

Thanks!

In a thread I started defending the Catholic explanation of John 6, I used two quotes from Ignatius: The one you mentioned and the one that is in my signature. The response I got from a Protestant was that the earliest version of the epistle was dated from the 6th century, implying it was some sort of late forgery.

Thanks Robert! Did this claim have any solid proof at all? and who made the claim?

The claim was made by BrianH. Check out this thread here,
and read the first 10 posts or so.

I read somewhere that there were forgeries in Ignatius name, but that the one that contains the above quotes (and six other epistles) are considered genuine.

Thanks Robert, I’ll spend some time over the weekend reading the posts and do some research on this.

You’re welcome! :tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.