St Ignatius of Antioch

I wasn’t sure if this post belonged here or not. Well I remember in an apologetics class, our teacher said that St Ignatius was actually the child that Jesus carried in Mat 18:4, according to tradition, and I wanted to know if this was in fact accurate or not.

I heard that in a Patristics class, but don’t if there is any proof or not. It might be a pious tradition (i.e. speculation or wishful thinking) or a fact (almost a piece of trivia) passed down through the ages.

Well he said it was proven by historical evidence. I wasn’t really sure if it was accurate or not.

My vote is no. St Ignatius doesn’t need any more honor,:):slight_smile:

Ask your pastor to return this prayer to the Mass.:):slight_smile:

Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our safe guard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and you, Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits, who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.:slight_smile:
Amen
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus; have mercy on us:)

Well, wouldn’t Ignatius have mentioned such an event in his writings, unless it is proposed that such writings are lost?

Well, that is from where traditionally the interpretation has been made - from the name Theophorus. I’ve only read snippets dismissive of the claim, so it would be really interesting if they’ve found something to validate this tradition. Perhaps, rivera01, you could ask your teacher and post?

I heard it was someone named Barsabbas.

This is indeed the tradition of the Church, and it’s why St. Ignatius was surnamed Theophoros.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.