St. Jerome was anti-woman

Peace be with you!

What would be the best way to answer this claim? It was mentioned (without any source, mind you) in a medieval liturature book, along with Jerome being against marriage, and my teacher has mentioned it again a couple times. I know he was not opposed to marriage, but where can I find some information to combat this attack on St. Jerome?
By the way, this book we have for this class also tries to make Jerome’s attack on Jovinian seem unfair, and only says that Jovinian wrote a tract saying that marriage was a good thing, not an evil thing, and that Jerome attacked him for that. Well, any informed Catholic knows that is not true at all–Jovinian was a heretic that did much more than talk about marriage.

In Christ,
Rand

Well, don’t you know - EVERYBODY was anti-woman. St. Gregory, St. Dionysius, St. Methodius, St. Cyprian, St. Athanasius, St. Julius, St. Cyril, St. Foebad…

Oh, wait, you want proof? Sorry, I can’t actually *cite *anything these Saints have said that would be “anti-woman.” You’ll just have to take my word for it.

Well, first ask your teacher for a substantive reference.

Second, I suggest visiting this site and reading some of Jerome’s writings for yourself, especially “Against Jovinian”:

newadvent.org/fathers/

I think St Jerome was anti-everyone. That’s why he spent much of his life as a hermit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.