St.John the baptist in Matt 3:6 and original sin

“And were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins”.

Could St.John do what the priests do in Levic 19:22?

my other question is , was St.John sanctified of his original sin when he leapt in the womb? or was he sanctified the moment the sperm met the egg? Or did i get it wrong and he did have original sin.

My understanding is that it’s a pious tradition that St. John was filled with grace when he kept in the womb. However, he was not conceived “full of grace” (immaculate).

1 Like

The Scriptures explicitly says “he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15). The indwelling of the Holy Spirit who sanctifies us is incompatible with original or mortal sin. Tradition holds this happened when Mary, pregnant with Jesus, visited Elizabeth and John leapt in the womb.

For example, Pope Leo XIII confirmed this in the encyclical Iucund Semper Expectatione:

Then St. John the Baptist, by a singular privilege, is sanctified in his mother’s womb and favored with special graces that he might prepare the way of the Lord; and this comes to pass by the greeting of Mary who had been inspired to visit her cousin.

3 Likes

John the Baptist was conceived in original sin but born free from original sin.
See the other posters comments.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.