St. Josemaria Escriva

Does anyone know what St. Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, is the patron saint of?

My dear friend

Good question. i’ve been praying to him 20 yrs and didn’t know. i found the below quote. I think he will be our next doctor of the church. I would pray for anything to him. I can’t say how powerful his prayers are because I just pray and don’t spend much time looking for results. I’m sure it does good though. His prayers would be exceedingly powerful for any cause you need.

Josemaría Escrivá

**Born: **9 January 1902
**Died: **26 June 1975
**Canonized: **6 October 2002 by Pope John Paul II
**Feast Day: ****Patron Saint of: **diabetics

I’d expect he might be patron of more causes over time. he was only canonised a frew yrs ago. it takes time.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

I see John has beaten me to the punch! I did not know he was regarded as a patron of diabetics, but it makes sense given that he suffered from it himself.

This is a more general idea, but during the canonization Mass, Pope John Paul II called St. Josemaria the “saint of the ordinary.” Also, there is a recent, neat little devotion running around, about which I know pretty much nothing, of making a novena to St. Josemaria for help in finding a job. That devotion would be rooted in his emphasis on sanctifying work.

And I assume you know his feast day is tomorrow (today, depending on your time zone) June 26? :thumbsup: I am busy baking up a special dessert for my family to celebrate…

Margaret

Yup, today’s the feast day of St. Josemaria Escriva. I’m debating whether I should make him my confirmation saint or St. Benedict.

We are going to special Mass for his feast day today. He has been one of my husband’s favorite Saints for a long time now. Since dh was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes we are praying even more to him!

I’ve never actually been to a special Mass for a saint’s feast day. I’d like to hear about it!

My dear friend

the Mass is much the same except it’s to honour the saint with some changes to the prayers and appropriate readings. There are feast days for saints every day.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

I described this MAss is a thread about his feast day in the Liturgy and Sacraments section. Sorry, I don’t know how to link you over there.

It was a beautiful Mass with 8 priests concelebrating and 2 seminarians acting as altar servers as well as the parish’s deacon.

He was named the patron saint of diabetics because he himself suffered from it but was miraculously cured after an apparently severe allergic reaction to a new form of insulin. It happened on a feastday of Our Lady (I can’t seem to remember which one as of the moment…)

Part of St. Josemaria Escriva’s strength is reconciling “blue collar” and “white collar”

As John Paul 2 wrote about in his opening paragraphs in the encyclical On Human Work, there is more automation today and technology is becoming a bigger part of life. In certain cases, work is less manual than it was 100 or 200 years ago.

To me, St. Josemaria Escriva does a real good job reconciling blue collar and white collar. He helped me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.