St Joseph, any thoughts?

We so often and rightly so, honor the blessed Virgin Mary yet Joseph cared for our Lord also. But there is only one saint day for St Joseph on the Lutheran calendar [March 19] and I could only find one parish named after St Joseph whom, we know, is highly honored among the Company of Heaven.

Catholics are better in showing us devotion to St Joseph.

How do Christians view the foster-father of Our Lord?

I don’t know how many non-catholics are on this sight and it is the week-end. But it looks like they don’t have much to say. I am happy to say that I belong to a parish that is named after the foster father of Jesus. Not only that but he is the patron saint of the entire diocese.

Really it is only recently that I have come to a fuller appreciation of St. Joseph the patron of fathers which I am one.:slight_smile:

St. Joseph lovingly raised our Savior and honored His mother. There has never been a greater Saint.

St. Joseph is my patron saint. I asked him to adopt me as his foster child as well. I love St. Joseph so much. I have never asked for something from St. Joseph and not gotten it. He is my best friend. I was content to stay there spiritually. I assumed that he would simply put in a good word for me to the rest of the Holy Family. But, good St. Joseph, didn’t let me stay there spiritually. He doesn’t keep the attention on himself. The more I pray to St. Joseph, the more I grow in love, wonder, and awe of his perfect spouse, the Blessed Virgin Mary. I asked God to give me a heart like St. Joseph, and then I fell in love with the beauty, holiness, and perfection of Our Lady. You can look up info and homilies about St. Joseph on YouTube.

St. Andre Bessette was extremely devoted to St. Joseph.
Father Mark Goring speaks about Andre Bessette and his devotion to St. Joseph.
youtube.com/watch?v=-ScrFjOAtwo

St. Theresa of Avila said that devotion to St. Joseph comes with special help and spiritual protection. I think I read that devotion to St. Joseph is like having a spiritual knife to cut through the traps and snares the devil sets for us.

Litany of St. Joseph - one of his titles is the “Terror of demons” So cool, huh?
youtube.com/watch?v=iMLjHqWW56g

He has been seen in private revelation with Our Lady (Fatima miracle, Our Lady of Knock). Catholics are not required to believe in private revelation though.

You could also try looking up homilies on the Feast day of the Holy Family. One feast day is St. Joseph the Worker in March, but I believe there is another in March. I’m not sure what it is though.

You have to be very careful if you are planning on being devoted to St. Joseph. You might become a saint! :slight_smile: God bless you, Shannon

I once read a book about St Joseph and two passages have remained with me.

St Joseph was the greatest in the Holy Family because he was the least.

St Joseph alone had the unique privilege to be called “father” by God i.e. that is what Jesus would have called him.

I like those quotes!

For some Christians the paucity of information on St Joseph in the Scriptures means he is overlooked. As others have point out, St Joseph is part of the Holy Family. I remember a pastor when he was upset would say: “Jesus, Mary, Joseph” :smiley:

St. Joseph has been venerated by Catholics from the very beginning of Christianity. This is my absolute favorite prayer to him, and it is very powerful, especially for fathers."Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me. Amen"

Imprimatur: September 25, 1950 Hugh C. Boyle, Bishop of Pittsburgh.

“This prayer was found in the fifteenth year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505 it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death, or be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy; or shall be burned in any fire, or shall be overpowered in battle.”

Say for nine mornings for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail, so be sure you really want what you ask.

I really love St. Joseph. :smiley:

That’s a beautiful prayer though as a Lutheran I could only pray this section:

Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me. Amen"

I Love At Joseph, but I do not find it strange that other that Catholics there is not a lot of attention paid to Him. Out side of catholic and Orthodox not much attention is given to any of the Saints.

However, Not sure if I find it funny or sad that protestants I have know that would never say a prayer to a Saint or have a statue of a Saint in their home have purchased Saint Joseph statues and buried them in their back yard to sale their house. :shrug:

I think you are correct on all counts :thumbsup:

There are those who follow Luther in honoring blessed saints, Our Lady, first of all, the very Mother of God. Some Lutheran and Anglican cathedrals hold high Mass on saints day as festivals.

St Monica Mass: youtube.com/watch?v=3P6JL9Y7M3o

All I know is Saint Teresa of Avila named her first monastic community of her reformed Carmelites after Saint Joseph. This saint, unparalleled scholar and mystic is validated in the final vision at Fatima during the Miracle of the Sun. Our Lady’s final appearance to the three shepherd children was in the brown wool habit of the Carmelites as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel with Baby Jesus, King of Kings, in her arms and flanked by Saint Joseph.

I believe the oldest prayer to any saint, “O Saint Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God…” may be the first Christian hymn, as the three sections each begin with “O” and this parallel construction suggests to me it was sung. I ask the protection and guidance of Saint Joseph, and God’s blessing of visionary dreams, to aid myself and others in reaching Heaven under the patronage of this humblest saint.

We have schools named for St. Joseph as well as Churches -several in florida-

I have to admit, that’s my absolute favorite part of the prayer. I can almost picture it in my mind. I’ve often thought that if I had a time machine, I would love to go back to watch Jesus as He was growing up with Joseph and Mary. I’m hoping that when (and IF) I get to Heaven, I just might be able to do something like that. :slight_smile:

St Joseph’s day is celebrated as a major fesival in the Church of England on 19th March.

I rather like the Collect and Blessing given for the day:

God our Father,
who from the family of your servant David
raised up Joseph the carpenter
to be the guardian of your incarnate Son
and husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary:
give us grace to follow him
in faithful obedience to your commands;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.

May the love of the Holy Family surround you.
May the joy that was Mary’s refresh you.
May the faithfulness that was Joseph’s encourage you.
May the peace of the Christ-child fill your lives.
And the blessing of God almighty,
the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
be among you and remain with you always.

More wonderful praise to St Joseph; I especially like the second section on the Holy Family. Anglicans have so much in common with Lutherans!

There are parades and street festivals to St Joseph here in New York, especially among the Italians.

My oldest son was struggling trying to find work and was about at the end of his rope. It tore my heart out. I prayed to St. Joseph for his intercession on behalf of my son. I knew that he, as a father, would understand and empathize with the hopes and desires of a father for his son. That prayer was made on a Friday evening. The following Monday my son called to tell me that he had lust landed a great job with an engineering company.

I’m sure it was just coincidence. :slight_smile:

A truly enjoyable book about St. Joseph is “DIVINE FAVORS GRANTED TO ST. JOSEPH” by Pere Binet, S.J. I was really happy after I purchased it and read it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.