St. Joseph Rosary

I heard that one can pray the Rosary focusing on St. Joseph. Instead of “Hail Mary” prayers one prays:

Joseph, son of David, and husband of Mary; we honor you, guardian of the Redeemer, and we adore the child you named Jesus.
Saint Joseph, patron of the universal church, pray for us, that like you we may live totally dedicated to the interests of the Savior. Amen.

source: osjoseph.org/stjoseph/prayers/StJosephRosary.php

Has anybody else heard of this? Does one recieve the same blessings by invoking St. Joseph? Is it approved by The Church?

Before I begin to take up this practice, I’d like to have these questions answered first. Thanks!

Haven’t heard of it before. There’s nothing in the prayer that would be wrong to pray, so there’s no reason it would be disapproved.

If by ‘blessings’ you mean does it have the same indulgences attached as the Marian Rosary - then no, it doesn’t. Those are peculiar to the Marian Rosary alone.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Lily!

Anybody else have any thoughts on this practice? :slight_smile:

I think it would be fine, to honor St. Joseph… using these prayers along with the Rosary beads. Kind of like using your Rosary beads to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Devotion to St. Joseph is a very good thing. Afterall, he was the earthly protector of Jesus and Mary.

I wouldn’t use it as a “replacement” FOR the Rosary, though. I love the Rosary too much. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.