St. Joseph to be included in Eucharistic Prayers [CWN]

The name of St. Joseph will soon be included in all of the Eucharistic Prayers regularly used in the Latin rite.The Congregation for Divine Worship has issued a decree calling for the …

More…

From Radio Vaticana:

In the first decree of a liturgical nature of this pontificate, Pope Francis has decided that name of St. Joseph should be added to the Eucharistic Prayers II, II and IV, as they appear in the third typical edition of the Roman Missal, after the name of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Below please find the text of the decree issued Wednesday by the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments:

(snip)

The Congregation has provided English language translations for the additions to the Mass prayers.

In Eucharistic Prayer II:

that with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God,
with blessed Joseph, her Spouse,
with the blessed Apostles

In Eucharistic Prayer III:

with the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God,
with your blessed Apostles and glorious Martyrs

In Eucharistic Prayer IV:

with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God,
and with your Apostles

Looking forward to seeing this decree implemented as soon as possible!

**AMEN!!

I am joyful to see this become mandatory! Poor St. Joseph was being left out sometimes. Now He has to be included!!**

Pope John XXIII added the name of St. Joseph to the Roman canon.

As an aside, the literal translation would be "the Spouse of the same Virgin" rather than "her Spouse." The double Virgin in the Latin is intentional.

colsdioc.org/Portals/0/Departments/NRM/Documents/The%20Roman%20Canon%20part%20III.pdf

:thumbsup:

Awesome sauce.

Jimmy Akin wrote an article on the CA main page:

“With Blessed Joseph, Her Spouse”

He notes that the note from the CDWDS says what the Latin addendum is, but it remains to be seen what the exact English translation will be. So stay tuned! :)

I'm really pleased with this, as St. Joseph is one of my favourite saints (and also patron of our seminary, our diocese, and our country).

When you think about it a little more, you wonder why it actually took this long. St. Joseph's name has been in EP1 for like 50 years now. He's the patron of the Universal Church.

[quote="curlycool89, post:8, topic:330109"]
I'm really pleased with this, as St. Joseph is one of my favourite saints (and also patron of our seminary, our diocese, and our country).

When you think about it a little more, you wonder why it actually took this long. St. Joseph's name has been in EP1 for like 50 years now. He's the patron of the Universal Church.

[/quote]

Long? 50 years seems kind of fast to me. :p

:heaven:

Good stuff in my view. I think this is a great idea and am glad to see Pope John XXIII's decision to add St. Joseph into the Canon come to fruition in this way. Here is the decree: news.va/en/news/exemplary-model-of-kindness-and-humility

Speculating a bit towards the future, perhaps our Holy Father will add St. Michael, St. John the Baptist, and St's. Peter and Paul back into the Confiteor. :) I would add also that the phrase "organic development in the liturgy" gets thrown around on here from time to time. This is a great example of how that actually happens.

On a lighter note, how much do you want to bet that priests throughout the world are having a bit of a laugh as they wonder why this couldn't have been done with the Third Edition of the Roman Missal when they had to relearn things anyway? Our Pastor told me not that long ago that he was just now really getting comfortable with the new translation. Of course, that's right when something gets added! :D I know that he, and the rest of the clergy will do fine with the change, but I do find the timeline to be a bit humorous, and I would be surprised if many priests did not feel the same. :)

+Pax

[quote="Joe_5859, post:9, topic:330109"]
Long? 50 years seems kind of fast to me. :p

[/quote]

I meant it just seems a bit weird that St. Joseph was added to EPI and then left out of the others.

[quote="jwinch2, post:11, topic:330109"]
Speculating a bit towards the future, perhaps our Holy Father will add St. Michael, St. John the Baptist, and St's. Peter and Paul back into the Confiteor.

[/quote]

I don't think I'd bet on that happening anytime soon.

The thing about adding St. Joseph to the EP is that it was already done in EPI, and this is really just brining EPII-IV into conformity with that. Also, I have experienced Masses (years ago) where priests have added St. Joseph to EPII (EPII of course there is a spot to add other saints), so there seems to have been some movement towards this. While at the same time, outside of these forums I've never heard anyone express a desire to add back St. Michael or any others to the Confiteor.

[quote="curlycool89, post:12, topic:330109"]
I meant it just seems a bit weird that St. Joseph was added to EPI and then left out of the others.

I don't think I'd bet on that happening anytime soon.

The thing about adding St. Joseph to the EP is that it was already done in EPI, and this is really just brining EPII-IV into conformity with that. Also, I have experienced Masses (years ago) where priests have added St. Joseph to EPII (EPII of course there is a spot to add other saints), so there seems to have been some movement towards this. While at the same time, outside of these forums I've never heard anyone express a desire to add back St. Michael or any others to the Confiteor.

[/quote]

My comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek anyway. However, since it was in the Roman Missal prior to the Mass of Paul VI being promulgated, and remains in the EF of the Mass today, and Pope Benedict specifically spoke about his desire that the multiple forms of the Roman Rite would influence other, it is certainly possible, albeit way down the road. Its not like they would be adding something new, but rather restoring something which previously was.

I do agree with you though that it is unlikely that this happens anytime soon.

[quote="curlycool89, post:12, topic:330109"]

[/quote]

I agree. I was just making a joke because the Church often thinks in terms of centuries. So 50 years is just a drop in the bucket. :)

[quote="jwinch2, post:13, topic:330109"]
My comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek anyway. However, since it was in the Roman Missal prior to the Mass of Paul VI being promulgated, and remains in the EF of the Mass today, and Pope Benedict specifically spoke about his desire that the multiple forms of the Roman Rite would influence other, it is certainly possible, albeit way down the road. Its not like they would be adding something new, but rather restoring something which previously was.

I do agree with you though that it is unlikely that this happens anytime soon.

[/quote]

Maybe in another 50 years. :p

I stand corrected. The Latin will now be:

II: “ut cum beáta Dei Genetríce Vírgine María, beáto Ioseph, eius Sponso, beátis Apóstolis”
III: “cum beatissíma Vírgine, Dei Genetríce, María, cum beáto Ioseph, eius Sponso, cum beátis Apóstolis”
IV: “cum beáta Vírgine, Dei Genetríce, María, cum beáto Ioseph, eius Sponso, cum Apóstolis”

eius Sponso = “her Spouse,” “su esposo”

wdtprs.com/blog/2013/06/action-item-st-josephs-name-now-in-eucharistic-prayers-ii-iii-iv/

I guess that means each parish will be buying new missals soon. :slight_smile:

[quote="ProVobis, post:15, topic:330109"]
I guess that means each parish will be buying new missals soon. :)

[/quote]

This one's pretty easy to just remember actually. It's just "with Blessed Joseph, her spouse" for each prayer after the mention of Mary.

A sticky note is really all that is needed. There's not really a point in buying a whole new Missal (costing several hundred dollars) for a one-line addition.

I've heard that back in the old days (we're talking pre-Trent here, before the formal establishment of seminaries) when not all priests knew fluent Latin, they would just memorized the whole Mass and recite it from memory. Remembering one extra line is not all that hard comparatively.

If they really find it to be too hard, then they can just use EPI, because nothing got changed there. :p

[quote="curlycool89, post:16, topic:330109"]
This one's pretty easy to just remember actually. It's just "with Blessed Joseph, her spouse" for each prayer after the mention of Mary.

A sticky note is really all that is needed. There's not really a point in buying a whole new Missal (costing several hundred dollars) for a one-line addition.

I've heard that back in the old days (we're talking pre-Trent here, before the formal establishment of seminaries) when not all priests knew fluent Latin, they would just memorized the whole Mass and recite it from memory. Remembering one extra line is not all that hard comparatively.

If they really find it to be too hard, then they can just use EPI, because nothing got changed there. :p

[/quote]

Aren't there some copyright and royalty issues involved here? I don't think it's as easy as just remembering a couple of words. What if there are other additions or substitutions? How far do you push this without purchasing a new missal? Things aren't obviously the same now as they were when only the Latin was involved. And even then the 1962 Missal didn't make it to every parish before Vatican II was convened. Add to that several hundred vernaculars now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.