St. Joseph's People's Prayer Book help!

Hello all,

I have just received a copy of The St. Joseph’s People’s Prayer Book, upon closer examination, there is a section devoted to prayers from non-catholic religions, ie Buhhidism, Hinduism, Native American Religions, they are all addressed to God as the Father and Creator, (there are protestant and Orthodox prayers, but I know those are acceptable) there is even an illustration of Buhudah (sp) these prayers are not polytheistic and they seem to be in line with monotheism, but, is it ok to pray them? should I cut out the non Christian prayer pages? Help

XC
Pat

** Native American Religions, they are all addressed to God as the Father and Creator, (there are protestant and Orthodox prayers**

**When I first saw this PB, I was offended at seeing Orthodox prayers lumped in with pagan prayers, especially since Byzantine-rite Catholics use the same prayers as the Orthodox.

Saying that these same prayers that Eastern Catholics say are from “other religions”–what WERE they thinking?**

I don’t have a copy of the St. Joseph People’s Prayer Book, but my roommate does and I’ve borrowed it a few times for it’s section on prayers by the saints.

I’d never noticed the “other religions” section before, but it’s sad that they had to mess up an otherwise good prayer book.

If you’re looking for another general prayer book I’d recommend the Queen of Apostles Prayer Book published by Pauline Books & Media. It’s one I use, and I love its sections on confession and Eucharistic adoration.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.