St Louis de Montfort consecration to Jesus through Mary

Hi :slight_smile: I made this thread because I didn’t want to hijack Epistemes’ thread on the subject :wink: cause I have sort of a personal question too about this…

I’m becoming Catholic (I’m not in RCIA, I’ve already been baptized and confirmed in the Orthodox church as a child) and hopefully I’ll be officially in the Church this winter… well I already feel Catholic in my heart, and I’ve done a lot of research and I agree with everything the Church teaches that I know of. I use Catholic prayers, devotions, etc. I find that they’ve helped me a lot to go deeper into my faith.

Lately I’ve been noticing that my devotion to Our Lady has been growing. I never thought about her very much when I was a Protestant and at times even felt a dislike for her :frowning: however God has changed that entirely, and now I see her as my Mother and I love Mary. I agree with all the titles the Church gives her and the doctrines… I was reading about the Saints one day and came across St Louis de Montfort, and what he said about Mary really made sense to me… some parts of the theology I didn’t understand and had to do more reading, asking questions, etc. But now it just seems to fit in with everything…

and then I came across this website about consecrating yourself to Jesus through Mary by way of St Louis de Montfort.
fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
and it really got my attention. Once I read it I couldn’t stop thinking about it for a couple of days. Cause lately I’ve been seeing how Mary helps us know Jesus better, and she has helped me so much in my relationship with Him. I believe the greatest thing the Church offers is the Eucharist, and after this it’s devotion to Mary. And I think that maybe one day I’d like to do this consecration.

Well my question is… how ‘advanced’ spiritually must one be to successfully make this consecration? Cause it seems like a pretty serious thing to me. I’ve talked to some Catholics about it and some of them told me it’s pretty serious too. Of course it would take time to learn how to live out the consecration well… but just to do it, what ‘stage’ do you need to be at?

lol I hope that’s not a dumb question… thing is, I’m not officially Catholic yet and I would want to do something like this once I have the Sacraments… so I wouldn’t have any mortal sin on me and receive the grace in the Eucharist… so I’m waiting for that… but once I do enter the Church, would it be wise to wait a year or more before making this consecration? Or does it just depend on the person? Cause - I don’t think I’m very spiritually advanced, but I have tried my best to understand Catholic theology and to practice what I can… I think maybe what matters the most in this consecration is wanting to live more for God (to the point of not wanting to have self will at all), and - it’s almost like being a slave, in a way… hmm… and having a strong devotion to Mary. I do want to live more for God and I’ve been praying for this a lot lately, because it seems I still have soo much in the way, like pride and self and worldly attachments… and I thought that maybe making this consecration would help me, maybe Mary would help me follow Christ more and love Him more?

any advice would be appreciated…

thanks!!
God bless

You can consecrate yourself to God, through Mary, in any stage of your faith journey. He gave to us, the Source of All Grace, through Mary. One is always welcome to offer back to God, everything, through Mary. Totus tuus.

John Paul II:
[FONT=Verdana][size=2]

“Totus Tuus. This phrase is not only an expression of piety, or simply an expression of devotion. It is more. During the Second World War, while I was employed as a factory worker, I came to be attracted to Marian devotion. At first, it had seemed to me that I should distance myself a bit from the Marian devotion of my childhood, in order to focus more on Christ. Thanks to Saint Louis of Montfort, I came to understand that true devotion to the Mother of God is actually Christocentric, indeed, it is very profoundly rooted in the Mystery of the Blessed Trinity, and the mysteries of the Incarnation and Redemption”.

[John Paul II in *Crossing the Threshold of Hope

, 1994]
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][size=2]

[/size][/FONT]

I don’t know about having to be advanced spiritually to do a consecration. Maybe it is religiously following a consecration that advances you spiritually that’s how it is for me :blush:

I advanced spiritually when I turned to Jesus and Mary after undergoing unexplainable suffering in the Daily Mass and Rosary. After sometime of this I seemed to be in a higher spiritual state :thumbsup: then I lost interest :frowning: after undergoing more suffering I firmly committed and took my interest in spirituality to very extreme sentiments: the St. Louis Mary de Montfort consecration to Jesus through Mary, reading religiously about the Saints, trying to say the complete Rosary daily, reading devotional books religiously, going to Confession regularly, attending Daily Mass, praying the Litany of Humility, Divine Mercy Chaplet, Avis Maris Stella, Liturgy of the Hours, and the spiritual adoption of an unborn baby. Now I am trying to join a St. Maximilian Maria village, the Legion of Mary, and become a Secular Carmelite, and have an official spiritual director. My priest has been VERY supportive :thumbsup: Alas, I’m not as faithful in these devotions as I should be.

Anyways, if you used to be a Protestant and even if not (I’m not a student now, but when I was: my school Protestant fellowship really helped me keep my focus on Christ while the rest of the world was not), I especially recommend joining a Marian Catholic organization in order to nurture and support the faith!! The St. Maximilian Maria villages (basically St.Maximilian Maria slightly modified the St. Louis Mary de Montfort consecration to give it a more apostolic bent) are groups of young people, one group 13-17 and one group 18-35 that pray the Rosary together, socialize, and participate in pro-life activities. They may do more, I don’t know :eek: Maybe you might consider doing that miyouth.org/ I’m not sure if they have older groups, though they should!! www.consecration.com They are in the U.S. and Canada, and the coordinator in my area is SO enthusiastic and friendly via email; and I haven’t been to the meetings but I know people go to the young adult group in the age ranges of 19 and 21 at the very least. Legion of Mary is also another Marian group, recommended by Our Lady of Sorrows when she appeared to schoolchildren in Rwanda to the Rwandans, though it is all OVER the whole world. I think it has a much older age group, but hey, more wisdom to share legionofmary.org/

The way I kind of think about Marian consecration and about sainthood over the last few days might be stupid but here goes: maybe our devotion might seem extreme to others, but I know a professor at a university that I used to attend that spent from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm or so doing his research and study :eek: That’s how you get to be the best in your field; those people who win Nobel Prizes or are considered geniuses, etc. So how could God be sad that we are spending so much time focusing on him? Wouldn’t he want some people to care just about Jesus and Mary as they do about some random topic in physics or stochastic processes? I guess those people who do care that much turn into Mother Teresas and St. Louis Mary de Montforts and St. Padre Pios and St. Francis of Assisis and St. Maximilian Marias and St. Mary Faustinas and St. Margaret Mary Alacoques and St. Teresa of Avilas…so far above my pitiful level of holiness :blush:

it makes me seriously consider changing my legal name to include Mary in it, maybe God might like that too, since he liked it so much when THEY did that :eek: hey, why party when you can pray or read St. Mary Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul!! saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I just made my consecration on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, and I’ve been Catholic only a year and a half.

As Louis de Montfort says, consecration is a perfect renewal of your baptismal vows. So long as you’ve been baptised, I think consecration will be nothing but a positive in your spiritual life.

thank you! :slight_smile:

That’s really helpful!

Over the past few weeks I’ve been praying more about this and I think God has really been showing me more about Our Lady. I also finished “the Secret of Mary” by de Montfort and it makes a lot of sense - finally! When I started it made NO sense at all and I thought it might be all wrong.

I do feel God sort of calling me to making this consecration someday. I want to become Catholic first…

but here’s my other question:

do you need a spiritual director to do this? :confused:

thanks!! :slight_smile: God bless~

Can be started asap :slight_smile:

This concentration is especially important for those who struggle deeply with our evil desires, people who could be Mary Magdalene or the Virgin Mary. It is humility because we stop relying on our own logic or strength or intellect to stay faithful to God and rely instead on Mary in all things, at all times, in all ways, forever. Slaves of Jesus * through* Mary.

If you have ever heard of St. Rita, her sons were determined to follow evil that she prayed that God allow them be killed rather than avenge the deaths of their father, leaving mortal sin on their souls. God answered her noble, loving prayers and they died within the year. Following this consecration devoutly and religiously according to
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html is like entrusting ourselves to Mary like St. Rita. Rather she kills us than let us run to hell. We chain ourselves to her. We enslave ourselves to her. If she is going to Heaven, and she is the QUEEN of Heaven and Earth so she is there - we will be too as the iron chains that we have will put us there too.

I personally wear a chain of iron with a miraculous medal on it as part of my exterior following on the Consecration. I did this for sometime, perhaps a year, and then slacked off. I also prayed religiously for some time, perhaps a year, and then greatly stopped following regular devotional practices because I didn’t think that I needed it anymore. I took off my chain. In a few months, I had started to lose the true faith. It wasn’t that I abandoned it, but I had started to serve my own desires more than the desires of Christ again.

When an unclean spirit goes out of a person it roams through arid regions searching for rest but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my home from which I came.’ But upon returning, it finds it empty, swept clean, and put in order. Then it goes and brings back with itself seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they move in and dwell there; and the last condition of that person is worse than the first. Thus it will be with this evil generation."Matthew 12:43-45

This is what happened to me! Soon after, in a completely unexpected way, I came very very close to being lost forever. I am still recovering from that experience.

Since then, I have chained myself to True Devotion to Mary and remained safe and healthy. I wear my iron chains without taking it off for anything. My sanctity is greater but so is my lifelong struggle. Miracles happen around where I am at times and I am convinced that many close occurrences with destruction have been avoided. Mystic experiences have occurred.

Yet, even St. Louis Mary de Montfort fought temptation to the very minute of his death. At the end he said, In vain do you attack me, I am between Jesus and Mary and he died!

Stay between Jesus and Mary! Never leave! Chain yourselves to them in humble, willing, voluntary slavery and they will not let you stumble and fall.

Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Drive it with a focus on humility,
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

Drive it with this:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

Mary is the woman of Genesis who crushes Satan with her heel, ** humility. **

If you have a desire to know what others do not know or a wish to meditate on her virtues, priveleges, honors in order to more perfectly practice
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin as a way to go to Christ, read about her:
**Cathechis of the Popes on Mary, Mother of God, ** catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Mary
Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm

Mystical City of God is an extremely important and powerful work by a Spanish Franciscan nun, Venerable Mary of Agreda. More information here: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm

True devotion to Mary is especially important because there exist false devotions. For example, Medjugorge is a false appartion, suspected by Vatican exorcists to be of demonic origin.

The Eucharist is the GOLD of our faith and devotion to the Blessed Virgin the SILVER. Thus, Satan wishes to counterfeit these devotion so as to mislead people from the true path of 100% surrender to the will of Christ. That is why it is especially important to be under constant 100% surrender of self-sacrifice and prayer to the Church, Our Holy Father, and the Blessed Virgin.

Stay under obedience! Do not determine things on your own but submit them to one’s spiritual director and the Magisterium! Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm

Whenever Jesus and Mary are around, Satan is also near, lurking around like a roaring lion and serpent, seeking to devour. He is the author of confusion. See 1 Peter usccb.org/nab/bible/1peter/1peter5.htm

Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

1 Peter 5

So I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and witness to the suffering of Christ and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed. Tend the flock of God in your midst, (overseeing) not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. Likewise, you younger members, be subject to the presbyters. And all of you, clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for: God opposes the proud but bestows favor on the humble. So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you. Be sober and viligant. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for (someone) to devour. Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that your fellow believers throughout the world undergo the same sufferings. The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ (Jesus) will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little. To him be dominion forever. Amen. I write you this briefly through Silvanus, whom I consider a faithful brother, exhorting you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Remain firm in it. The chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting, as does Mark, my son. Greet one another with a loving kiss. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

See Blessed Bartolo: From Satanist to Saint catholicity.com/commentary/landry/00691.html

In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.

Hi, Monica

Just to let you know, there is a Website that sells The True Devotion to Jesus through Mary Ring. About $25 in Silver for men and/or women. It’s the St. Benedict Center at www.saintbenedict.com

The Ring or any little chain bracelet serve as good reminders of your Consecration and also may foster a good conversation with others who might ask you about why you wear them. You get to spread the word that way. :slight_smile:

The meaning of the Consecration grows and deepens as you do, so, you need not worry about what level of spirituality you are at.
Our Lady knows how to bring you along once you surrender your life to Jesus through Her. You will find all you need when you need it and without worry or fear. Bless You!

Michael Voris is talking of this ring, he wears one. He is on www.blogtalkradio.com with Coleen Hammond on her show – blogtalkradio.com/up-close/2012/05/01/up-close-with-michael-voris .

Went to your link and bought one. Its a very nice ring , chain imprint on it, with the backside of the Miraculous Medal on it. …and M supporting the Cross.

I have been considering doing this but I am not sure if I want to go through with it or not as it requires a lot of preparation and such. I did tell my spiritual director about it and he said he doesn’t know much about it so he said he’d ask a lady who does know about it.

+JMJ+

Definitely wait for your spiritual director’s words about it. Following a spiritual director’s direction is the BEST devotion anyone can have, much better than the True Devotion. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.