St. Louis de Montfort Consecration

I was hoping to get some information what exactly the total consecration to Jesus through Mary is. I know it comes from a book by St. Louis de Montfort, but I was hoping to get some more information about it.

My dear friend

Good to see you again. From the pocket catholic dictionary-

CONSECRATION TO MARY. An act of devotion, promoted by St. Louis de Montfort (1673-1716), that consists of the entire gift of self to Jesus through Mary. It is, moreover, a habitual attitude of complete dependence on Mary in one’s whole life and activity. In making the act of consecration, a person gives himself or herself to Mary and through her to Jesus as her slave. This means that a person performs good works as one who labors without wages, trustfully hoping to receive food and shelter and have other needs satisfied by the master, to whom one gives all one is and does, and on whom one depends entirely in a spirit of love. The act of consecration reads:
"I, [Name], faithless sinner, renew and ratify today in your hands the vows of my baptism; I renounce forever Satan, his pomps and works; and I give myself entirely to Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Wisdom, to carry my cross after Him all the days of my life, and to be more faithful to Him than I have ever been before.
“In the presence of all the heavenly court I choose you this day for my mother and queen. I deliver and consecrate to you, as your slave, my body and soul, my goods, both interior and exterior, and even the value of all my good actions, past, present, and future; leaving to you the entire and full right of disposing of me, and all that belongs to me, without exception, according to your good pleasure, for the greater glory of God, in time and in eternity. Amen.”

I highly recommend going over the book and doing it:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

May God bless you and keep you:)
John

Hi, :slight_smile: the book really explains it well… it’s called True Devotion to Mary.

the total consecration is basically giving yourself entirely to Jesus, but through Mary’s hands. St Louis de Montfort calls this the “sure” method, because it is Mary’s nature to lead us to her Son, and she is His Mother and only ever does His will. It is a safe method, and the soul advances quickly to perfection. If we give ourselves to Mary, she will take care of us. We give her not only our soul and body, but also exterior and interior possessions and all our virtues and merits, so that she might embellish them, make them beautiful for God, and present them to Him.

this doesn’t mean that we are to distrust Jesus, as if “Mary is better”. There is no competition between them. Rather, we are distrusting our own efforts, and asking Mary to help us be better followers of Christ. We do everything with, in, through, for, Mary, in order for Jesus to be formed in us.

De Montfort compares this to an artist who is trying to make a sculpture. He can either make it out of a block of marble, which is difficult, or, he can use a mold. Mary is our “mold” in which we can be formed to reflect Christ better. Just as she gave birth to Him, she forms His children too. She is our Mother. :slight_smile:

the consecration is basically a prayer you say, with a 33 day preparation period… and you give yourself to Jesus and Mary as a slave. The reason it’s as a slave is because you keep nothing back for yourself… but through this slavery, we become truly free. It’s a slavery of love and free will, not of constraint. We renounce the devil forever and renew our baptismal promises.

I think it is really powerful, well it has been in my experience :slight_smile:

the book uses very mystical language sometimes, and it’s best to read it slowly and prayerfully.

hope that helps?

God bless…

Glory Be!!! I bought this book, and read it cover to cover. Before purchasing the book, I was pondering if it was possible to go through her to Him. It was very moving to read St. Monfort’s book. I have some time before performing this consecration, but I do have a few questions that may be someone here can help with?

1. I noticed that during the weeks you are to read from certain books. Like for example, The Imitation of Christ. I was at my local public libaray the other day and I noticed that they do indeed carry this book. But what of the other requested reading material?

2. Secert Of May is one and the other is labeled as True Devotion, nos and the page number follows. I was able to find Secret of Mary online, but I was unable to find the page numbers requested by St. Montfort. And as for True Devotion, nos I was unable to find this book. At first glance, I thought it was refering to the book in my hand, but this was not the case.

Does anyone know where to find this book, and the page numbers for Secret of Mary?

Thanks
Mahogany

Hi, I think you can find all of the readings here? fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html

1. Secert Of May is one and the other is labeled as True Devotion, nos and the page number follows. I was able to find Secret of Mary online, but I was unable to find the page numbers requested by St. Montfort. And as for True Devotion, nos I was unable to find this book. At first glance, I thought it was refering to the book in my hand, but this was not the case.

check that link and if it helps :slight_smile: I think it has all the readings? But I might have forgotten… let me know if it doesn’t.

Hello,
I have made the consecration and find it can be a bit intimidating. I would suggest a recently published book to help with the consecration…The book is: “The Echo of God” by Father Lance Harlow. Fr.Harlow was recently on “His Abundant Life” with Johnnette Benkovic on EWTN. God Bless!,nannyma

Hello Monica:

Thank you for replying to my questions. I have visited that site a number of times, great site. However, it does not list all of the reading material for each week.

I was skimming through the book last night and I noticed this pargraph and it said: “St. Louis De Montfort advises us to prepare for the consecration by exercises which certainly are not compulsory, but which assure its great efficacy because of the purity and other dispositions which they tend tp develop in our souls.” Reading this made me ease up a little about the certain page numbers of the book, Secret of Mary. And pray that I found the other book.

Thanks again!
Mahogany

Here is a simple and nice set of prayers and meditation in preparation for total consecration. The Apostolate for Family Consecration main thrust is to get families to make this consecration together. Therefore they have made it easier to understand for children and clearer (to me anyway) as to how to go about it. They would love you to purchase the material from them, but they also offer it free as a download. A short version of the consecration prayer is even suggested after each decade of the rosary: "All for the Sacred and Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, All through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, all in union with St. Joseph."
See here for the materials:
familyland.org/content/Content.aspx?CategoryID=633
:thumbsup:

Catholictrain: What a wonderful site! They have broken it down rather nicely. Thank you for passing on such a beneficial site.

Dorothy: I was thinking of making a trip to my local Catholic store, but it is so far from my home. And my local parish does not have a store on grounds. But I will add this book to my list for my trip to the Catholic store.

Thank you both for your relpy!
Mahogany

You’re welcome. By the way… the site I gave you also has links to their summer family fests… which are a wonderful faith-filled opportunity to have fun with your family for a week in the summer. They have Mass ever morning, Sunday Mass usually has a couple of Bishops, sometimes a Cardinal (like Cardinal Arinze) all concelebrating. In addition they have a pool, a water slide, horseback riding, etc. etc. Yet everyday at 3 pm everything stops for recitation of the Divine Mercy Chaplet. They have an adoration chapel with exposition daily… it is like heaven on earth for a week… and it is geared especially for families. Just go to www.familyland.org.

If a Catholic bookstore doesn’t have the books, they can be ordered here, from the Montfort Fathers:

publications.montfortmissionaries.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

The complete book that explains all about the devotion is “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”, and the “Preparation for Total Consecration” makes it easy to follow for the 33 day program for total consecration.

Peace,

Dorothy

Hello,
If you email RWSKOI@aol.com they will send you a packet which includes each prayer and readings day by day!:slight_smile:
God Bless,
Leeray

Hello,
I am on day 6 of the first 12 days of my consecration. I have been praying the prayers and reading the suggested readings. I have a note book that I’m writing thoughts and feelings in (Monica gave me that idea). I was wondering if anyone had any other prayer work or devotion or reading that benefited them. I am really into it and very exceted! Hope to hear some fun and interesting suggestions!
:blessyou:

The consecration to our Blessed Mother is great! I cannot express in words how much it means to me.

This past July I took a four-day silent retreat for ladies at a monastery. The priest who was the retreat master is a proponent of True Devotion to Mary. He also shared about inter-generational healing. The wonderful sharings he gave us about both topics were very inspiring.

I have made the Consecration according to St. Louis de Montfort several times over the years, and there are always wonderful surprises and graces that come from it.

That is a good idea about writing down your thoughts as you do continue into the Consecration.

St. Louis de Montfort is a “giant” of an apostle for Our Lady, and as he says in his book…IT IS ALL FOR JESUS! (I am para-phrasing as I do not have the book at my fingertips right now.)

Many people do misunderstand and wonder why there is so much mention of Our Lady,…if they stay with it they will understand as time goes on.

Just as she said “Yes” to the Lord, we too are to say our “Yes” to the Lord. Eve disobeyed, Mary obeyed. Mary has what belongs to us - she is “full of grace”. She will give those graces to us as we surrender ourselves to Jesus through her.

Hello,
Thank you so much! Truely beautifully put. I feel so sorry for Our Lady with the disrespect she receives, and then the terrible things said of Her Son. I'm supposed to be at Adoration right now but I'm pretty snowed in. It's a great comfort to be able to read True Devotion to Mary and ponder the unfathonable depths of love between the Mother and The Son. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!:)

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

[quote="consecrated_one, post:14, topic:160815"]
Hello,
I am on day 6 of the first 12 days of my consecration. I have been praying the prayers and reading the suggested readings. I have a note book that I'm writing thoughts and feelings in (Monica gave me that idea). I was wondering if anyone had any other prayer work or devotion or reading that benefited them. I am really into it and very exceted! Hope to hear some fun and interesting suggestions!

[/quote]

that's so exciting! :hug1: for some reason it always makes me so glad to hear that other people are doing the Consecration too =) it's like bit by bit, the world is being consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary... just as she asked...

which feast day did you choose? :)

[quote="Dorothy, post:15, topic:160815"]
The consecration to our Blessed Mother is great! I cannot express in words how much it means to me.

This past July I took a four-day silent retreat for ladies at a monastery. The priest who was the retreat master is a proponent of True Devotion to Mary. He also shared about inter-generational healing. The wonderful sharings he gave us about both topics were very inspiring.

I have made the Consecration according to St. Louis de Montfort several times over the years, and there are always wonderful surprises and graces that come from it.

That is a good idea about writing down your thoughts as you do continue into the Consecration.

St. Louis de Montfort is a "giant" of an apostle for Our Lady, and as he says in his book....IT IS ALL FOR JESUS! (I am para-phrasing as I do not have the book at my fingertips right now.)

Many people do misunderstand and wonder why there is so much mention of Our Lady,.....if they stay with it they will understand as time goes on.

Just as she said "Yes" to the Lord, we too are to say our "Yes" to the Lord. Eve disobeyed, Mary obeyed. Mary has what belongs to us - she is "full of grace". She will give those graces to us as we surrender ourselves to Jesus through her.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="consecrated_one, post:16, topic:160815"]
Hello,
Thank you so much! Truely beautifully put. I feel so sorry for Our Lady with the disrespect she receives, and then the terrible things said of Her Son. I'm supposed to be at Adoration right now but I'm pretty snowed in. It's a great comfort to be able to read True Devotion to Mary and ponder the unfathonable depths of love between the Mother and The Son. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!:)

[/quote]

I feel the same way, it's so sad when people speak against Jesus and our Blessed Mother! :( we can offer them reparation through everything we do.. that's very beautiful.. God bless :)

Hello,
My Total Consecration date will be January 8th. which is the Feast of Our Lady of Prompt Succor. She is the Patron, in particular, Louisiana and New Orleans. She stopped and changed the direction of many hurricanes and storms. The people of New Orleans have a beautiful Statue of Her and when storms are comming they run to the Cathedrals and Her statue and pray for help.
I was going to wait till after the holidays but I COULDN’T WAIT! I want to belong completely to Jesus thru Mary! I am having a wonderful time. I must say, I just finished Book 1, Ch 25 of the Imitation of Christ and I didn’t get as much out of it as the others. I’m sure there will be more rich material ahead. I hope I haven’t already shared what I am doing regarding St de Montfort’s little chain recommendation. I am going to have a bracelet with just one heart shaped charm, with Mary’s name on one side and my Consecration date on the back. I will belong completely to Our Lady (and therefore Our Lord). I have to focus on the bonds of love rather than chains of slavery because of past history. I think Our Lady will still be pleased! Ran on a bit but it’s SO exciting!:slight_smile:

wow! :smiley: that sounds awesome =)

my Consecration day was on the feast day of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I read in the book that we need to renew it “at least once a year”, and took that to mean that it could be more than once a year… lol… I feel a need to renew it sooner than next June, so I’m going to do this on January 1st: Mary Mother of God. I hope that on that day there would be Marian hymns!! :smiley:

I was going to wait till after the holidays but I COULDN’T WAIT! I want to belong completely to Jesus thru Mary!

that’s how I felt too! :smiley:

it’s REALLY awesome once you do it. You just know - through faith, it not through feeling - that now you belong to Jesus forever and ever, in a fuller way that ever before, because you came to Him through Mary. It’s really beautiful =)

I am having a wonderful time. I must say, I just finished Book 1, Ch 25 of the Imitation of Christ and I didn’t get as much out of it as the others. I’m sure there will be more rich material ahead.

there’s a lot of different topics ahead :slight_smile: sometimes a chapter really speaks to a person, and sometimes not. I have some chapters I really liked.

I hope I haven’t already shared what I am doing regarding St de Montfort’s little chain recommendation. I am going to have a bracelet with just one heart shaped charm, with Mary’s name on one side and my Consecration date on the back. I will belong completely to Our Lady (and therefore Our Lord). I have to focus on the bonds of love rather than chains of slavery because of past history. I think Our Lady will still be pleased! Ran on a bit but it’s SO exciting!:slight_smile:

that’s really cool!! :smiley: I love that, especially having Mary’s name on it :slight_smile:

I want to get a little chain too. It took me some time to get the whole ‘slavery’ thing, eventually I realized he’s talking about ‘slavery of love’ which is free and totally different than human slavery or that of the devil. So I think the way you understand it is correct, you’re just using a different word =)

God bless!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.