st. Louis de montfort

I am having a lot of trouble grasping some of what he is saying in the true devotion. Mediatrix I pretty well get, but we must only approach Jesus through mary…etc. where can I find help understanding this book and his teaching? Maybe another book or something?

I would study St. John’s Gospel Chapter 2. The implication is either Mary overheard the conversation regarding the wine shortage or the wedding guests went to Mary and explained their plight directly to her. St. Louis takes the second approach…that if we desire Christ to fill us when the wine runs dry, we are to go through His Mother to accomplish what needs accomplishing.

I found some writings by Pope Leo XIII touch on this subject well as a compliment to St Louis de Montforts work.

If you have the time you might read or listen to IUCUNDA SEMPER EXPECTATIONE by Pope Leo XIII

Here is a relevant section

"Thus is confirmed that law of merciful meditation of which We have spoken, and which St. Bernardine of Siena thus expresses: “Every grace granted to man has three degrees in order; for by God it is communicated to Christ, from Christ it passes to the Virgin, and from the Virgin it descends to us.” Pope Leo XIII

You can listen to the Encyclical Here on Audio
alleluiaaudiobooks.com/catholic-audiobook-the-holy-rosary-remedy-against-modern-evils/

or Read it here
vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_08091894_iucunda-semper-expectatione_en.html

Well, this is an easy one for me since I am a woman and gave birth.

God came to us through a woman, shouldn’t we go to Him through her? He lay in her womb for nine months before He was born. He chose t live as a babe, and as a toddler, a teenager, a young man, then as a fully grown Man before He manifested Himself to us at the Wedding feast at Cana. This too happened at Mary’s request. She was present at His first public miracle the changing of water into wine.

I am consecrated to Jesus through Mary according to the Montfort formula for Consecration. It takes time for the understanding of it to grow in you after doing so. At least that’s how it worked for me. I certainly didn’t get it all at once.

Give it time and study and prayer.

Glenda

P.S. This way of getting to know God better and living may *not be for you *and so dont’ force it either.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=10194232#post10194232
Discernment about Marian devotion

… Pope John Paul ll had this to say of him;

Quote:
“I am happy”, he wrote, “to offer thanks to the Lord for the growing influence of this missionary Saint, whose apostolate was nourished by a life of intense prayer, an unshakeable faith in the Triune God and a deep devotion to the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Redeemer” In order to know the Eternal Wisdom, uncreated and incarnate, Grignion de Montfort constantly invited people to put their trust in the Blessed Virgin Mary, who is so inseparable from Jesus ‘that it would be easier to separate light from the sun’. He remains an incomparable bard and disciple of the Mother of the Saviour, whom he honours as the one who so assuredly leads towards Christ"

And finally these comments;

Quote:
“Reading that book (True Devotion to Mary)”, he said, "has marked a decisive turning point in my life. I said ‘turning point’, although this is a long inner journey… At that very moment this unique treatise came into my hands, one of those books which it is not enough ‘to have read’. I reread it constantly and certain passages in succession.

“I soon realized that the book contained something fundamental over and above its baroque style. The result was that the devotion to the Mother of Christ of my childhood and my adolescence gave way to a new attitude, a devotion that welled up from the depths of my faith, as at the very heart of the Trinitarian and Christological reality”.

“At first, it had seemed to me that I should distance myself a bit from the Marian devotion of my childhood in order to focus more on Christ. Thanks to St Louis de Montfort, I came to understand that true devotion to the Mother of God is actually Christocentric, indeed, it is very profoundly rooted in the mystery of the Blessed Trinity, and the mysteries of the Incarnation and Redemption”

The writings of St. Maximilian Kolbe on Our Lady are also great to better understand the works of St. Louis de Montfort. Please note he wrote several books, so it’s not simple to grasp what he says based on one work alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.