St. Malachy...is it true?

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050428/od_nm/pope_prophecy_dc;_ylt=AmB4tnHNHNV1JGPrwSybLN6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2YnFncG91BHNlYwNvZA

The above link is about the prophecy of St. Malachy. I read it this morning and did a bit of research and it really freaked me out. My husband and I were watching a David Blaine special last night and he told me he didnt really want to watch it because in Revelations it states that there will be people who will be able to do strange feats with no explanation (miracles or magic). When I found this article it kind of affirmed it for him but I’m a bit skeptical and yet afraid.

I started thinking, I should go to mass, I should pray more, I should read the bible, I should become devout…but then I realized that maybe that is selfish thinking because I don’t want to do it to follow in Christ’s footsteps (well it is but…) it was more for saving my soul should this be true. I do want to emulate christ as best as possible but I can’t help thinking that the way i have led my life thuhsu far is sending me to hell…

Am I being selfish for wanting to change my ways now because I’m scared? Is there any cause for concern about this prophecy?

Thanks
Sarc

There have been many threads concerning this.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes
St. Malachy was a saint. Surely, his prophecies have some significant for the Church. But his biography written by Bernard of Clairvaux mentioned nothing about the prophecies, nor is it mentioned in any record prior to its 1595 publication.
Now there is no number for Petrus Romanus this could mean that there could be popes between Benedict xvi and Petrus Romanus.
Nothing should distract you from living the gospels, please do not be distrubed by anything.

[quote=sarcophagus]news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050428/od_nm/pope_prophecy_dc;_ylt=AmB4tnHNHNV1JGPrwSybLN6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2YnFncG91BHNlYwNvZA

The above link is about the prophecy of St. Malachy. I read it this morning and did a bit of research and it really freaked me out. My husband and I were watching a David Blaine special last night and he told me he didnt really want to watch it because in Revelations it states that there will be people who will be able to do strange feats with no explanation (miracles or magic). When I found this article it kind of affirmed it for him but I’m a bit skeptical and yet afraid.

I started thinking, I should go to mass, I should pray more, I should read the bible, I should become devout…but then I realized that maybe that is selfish thinking because I don’t want to do it to follow in Christ’s footsteps (well it is but…) it was more for saving my soul should this be true. I do want to emulate christ as best as possible but I can’t help thinking that the way i have led my life thuhsu far is sending me to hell…

Am I being selfish for wanting to change my ways now because I’m scared? Is there any cause for concern about this prophecy?

Thanks
Sarc
[/quote]

“Be not afraid”

Many scholars say this prophecy is a hoax and the Church does not accept it as genuine. There are too many loose ends, so to speak. Most people on here would agree with that. However, there are some prophecies that seem to be in accordance with the Popes. But this is sheer speculation for the most part. I would not put any real stock in into it. Im not saying don’t believe or do believe, I am just saying take it all with a grain of salt. Personally, I am very skeptical due to the Church’s stance on it and the fact that there are so many “what ifs”. But remember, “Be not afraid”.

God Bless,
DU

You can be devout because of fear…you can do things out of fear and be a devout Catholic…however, the easiest way to do them is out of love. You should Love God so much that you are ashamed and deeply hurt when you do things to offend him. Love should be your primary motivation…In my case, my devotion to God started in fear at first…then as I progressed in my spiritual journey, it was love that motivated me to become a devout Catholic. Don’t worry though…I still fear him :slight_smile: I stumble along the way and I can tell I love him so, so much, because when I sin…I feel a heavy burden on me and I almost feel so sad that I can’t continue on any more…I feel a sense of urgency to go to confession to atone for my sins and return to a state of Grace…I do not feel a sense of impending doom as I once did.

[quote=sarcophagus]news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050428/od_nm/pope_prophecy_dc;_ylt=AmB4tnHNHNV1JGPrwSybLN6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2YnFncG91BHNlYwNvZA

Thanks
Sarc
[/quote]

Your posts put my mind at ease. Thanks!!! But my question is how does one become devout? What is the difference between practicing and devout? I’m neither by the way…just wanting to be…

Sarc

[quote=sarcophagus]I started thinking, I should go to mass, I should pray more, I should read the bible, I should become devout…but then I realized that maybe that is selfish thinking because I don’t want to do it to follow in Christ’s footsteps (well it is but…) it was more for saving my soul should this be true. I do want to emulate christ as best as possible but I can’t help thinking that the way i have led my life thuhsu far is sending me to hell…

Thanks
Sarc
[/quote]

Some people change because they see the light…others because they feel the heat.

Don’t worry about it, what is important rather than focusing on every prophesy or prediction out there is your life right now.

Remember all the hype around Y2K? One of the things that helped get me on my return to the Catholic Church was pastors of other Churches preaching doom and gloom right before the New Year. Do you know what Pope John Paul was saying?
Do not be afraid!

Sure there will be the doom and gloom preachers out there, we are to look at what good can we do right now, who can we evangelize and spread the good word too. How can we live our lives as good examples of the faith. That is some of the things we should be focusing on, not just fear.

God Bless
Scylla

Whether the prophecies of St. Malachy are true or not, David Blaine has nothing to do with it! He is an illusionist and professional magician, not a wonder worker.

I can recall dabbling in magic tricks as a hobby in my youth. Nothing was more satisfying than to be able to do a “magic” trick right in front of people and no one could figure it out! In most cases it was quite simple.

[quote=sarcophagus]Your posts put my mind at ease. Thanks!!! But my question is how does one become devout?
[/quote]

Try “Introduction to the Devout Life” by Saint Francis de Sales.

[quote=sarcophagus] My husband and I were watching a David Blaine special last night and he told me he didnt really want to watch it because in Revelations it states that there will be people who will be able to do strange feats with no explanation (miracles or magic).Sarc
[/quote]

You aren’t thinking of becoming a Blainetologist are you?:bigyikes:

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/504/kyle_blaine_book.gif

I think it very well could be true, since Malachy hit it with the last three popes… but who knows, right? We’re supposed to be ready, no matter what.

No, it isn’t true. Next question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.