St. Malachy's Prophecy of the Poes - What is the Church's stance?

I am curious if anyone has any insight as to what the Church’s stance is on St. Malachy’s “Prophecy of the Popes”. If you are unfamiliar with this prophecy, this Wikipedia article sums it up nicely:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_popes

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The Church has no stance on this.

There is no “official” position on a lot of things but the common opinion is that it’s a political forgery.

The Church has no position on these? Why would they?

They are anyway considered to be forgeries written long after the death of Malachy.

Wow, just curious. My first post on here, as a matter of fact.

I guess the old saying “there’s no such thing as a stupid question” doesn’t apply here on the Catholic Answers Forum…

I’m not aware of any official church stance on the prophecy, but a few points to consider:

1. Just because someone is a saint doesn’t mean that 100 000% of everything they say is the truth. It just means they lived lives of heroic virtue and meant to be role models for us. They can still make mistakes and get things wrong. Especially to be considered in this case is the fact its unclear if St Malachy wrote the prophecy

2. We are meant to reject divination and socery (i.e. attempts to use past prophecy’s (except ones given by by God and/or scripture) and leave the future to some extent in Gods hands

3. Thinking of point 2 especially the part in Matthew 24:36 about Jesus telling people noone knows the day nor the hour

Welcome to CAF! :wave:

I’m sure Thistle meant no offense. Some of us can be a bit brusque sometimes. Please be patient with us. :o

Your question is certainly legitimate and this is a great place to ask the question. The other posters are correct. As with many things, there is no “official” position on it (that I am aware of). But most evidence seems to point to it being a forgery. I’ve never come across any legitimate Catholic source that takes these prophecies seriously.

I thought it was real at first, then I read here (a few years ago, on another post) that it was a fake. I did more research on my own of it (call me crazy, but I don’t beleive everything I read on internet chat rooms) and found out that there is probably a 99 percent that it is a fraud. So, thanks CAF people!

And besides, even if it is real, there is nothing you can do about it, so who cares?

Not al all newbie, it is a great question, one that has lasted so many centuries. As other posters pointed out, the Church never takes up an official position on anything like this. Nevertheless it has amused curious Catholics for centuries trying to figure out what each name really means and if it can be identified with the popes numbered. Indeed given there is only one more pope to go it begs the question, will he be the last pope?

Looking up the site you put up I see under Pope John Paul II is De Labore Solus - the work of the sun. Alchemy is specifically characterized in hermetic tradition as “the operation of the sun,” [De Labore Solis?].

The site also says:
Nicolaus Copernicus, who was the first astronomer to formulate a comprehensive heliocentric cosmology, spent his youth in Kraków, Poland. The heliocentric model of the universe was described as heretical by Catholic Church during the early 17th century, when the Copernican system was espoused by Galileo Galilei. This position was reversed in 1992 by Pope John Paul II, who also spent his youth in Kraków, Poland, in his apology to Galileo, 450 years after Copernicus published De revolutionibus and 360 years after Galileo’s trial. Thus, the “Toil of the Sun” may have referenced the Church’s acceptance of heliocentricity.

I go for this one. Now few know that JPII called himself ‘the Copernican Canon’ when Bishop of Kraków No sooner was he pope but he announced that he wanted the Galileo case re-investigated. He was the complete Copernican, a champion for heliocentrism defined and declared by his predecessors as formal heresy. It says above that this position was reversed in 1992. That is a joke and someone should get this corrected. a paper read out in the Pontifical Academy of Sciences counts for ZERO in the Church.

No doubt others will prefer other interpretations of it.

Sorry if I upset you. At my age getting out of the wrong side of bed sometimes makes me grumpy and it translates into unintended abrasive comments.

Cassini, thank you very much for your detailed response. I understand that the church doesn’t take an official stance on this, and it is probably best that it doesn’t. Indeed, we are not supposed to worry ourselves as Jesus says “no man knows the hour”, but eschatology is a very interesting topic for me - and I’m glad others find it interesting as well.

Thistle - no hard feelings. I get out of the wrong side of the bed sometimes, too. :wink:

Thanks to everyone else for your replies, as well!

Cheers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.