St Malachy's Prophesy

In another thread (the one about 2012), someone mentioned St Malachy’s prophesy about the Popes. It sort of worried me so I went and looked it up …and this is what I found. Can anyone confirm if this is a good explanation?

here’s the website:
catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

The last of these prophecies concerns the end of the world and is as follows: “In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End.” It has been noticed concerning Petrus Romanus, who according to St. Malachy’s list is to be the last pope, that the prophecy does not say that no popes will intervene between him and his predecessor designated Gloria olivæ. It merely says that he is to be the last, so that we may suppose as many popes as we please before “Peter the Roman”.

On Wikipedia, it says:
(In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations; when they are over, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the terrible or fearsome Judge will judge his people. The End.) Most scholars believe that this prophecy was added at a later date. It can be noted that this pope had explicitly not been numbered (as he would have been #112)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

my question is, is it true that the last Pope was not numbered? cause that is great, that means that we don’t know how many more Popes there are.

The reason this worried me in the beginning is because it says in the Bible we can’t know when the end of the world is. So if there will be no more Popes, it might mean that the Church will fail and this means that it was never the true Church :frowning: I started wondering, what if the Orthodox church is true after all…
but, if the last Pope wasn’t numbered, then the interpretation is completely different.

Also, these prophesies might be a forgery as well, we can’t rule that out.

thoughts? :slight_smile:

The Malachy prophecies are fake.

Don’t trust in unapproved revelations. It is foolish.

It may be true. It’s been closely followed for centuries. It does not contradict what Jesus said. I started this thread a few days ago about this and St Gemmas prophecy. There’s a lot of posts and a survey forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=304675
God bless:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

they *might *be true, but as you noted there is no knowing how many popes will be still to come before this “Peter the Roman.” It looks probably like St. Malachy could have been given a vision of the popes remaining until the next millennium, which ended with Pope John Paul II. Pope Benedict XVI is the first pope elected in this new millennium and the last on the ‘prophecy.’ So my guess is even if it were true it was only for a time, not until the end of time.

I’d have to agree :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t know if the ‘prophesies’ are true or not… they might or they might not be… I usually only really follow the ones that are officially approved by the Church. If they’re unapproved, I don’t consider them. And if they’re rejected, then obviously we should reject them too :wink:

Almost all the early fathers speculated about when the end would come and were wrong. But it’s ok to speculate and keep in mind it may happen today- and be prepared.

From the pocket catholic dictionary-

END OF THE WORLD. Revealed truth that the present world of space and time will come to an end. It will be on the day when the dead will rise from the grave and Christ will appear in his majesty to judge the human race. As to the manner of the world’s destruction or its time, nothing definite can be said whether from natural science or from the Christian faith. The idea of destruction by fire (II Peter 3:7, 10, 12) can be taken simply as a current mode of expression to state that the present world will be dissolved and a new world will come into existence.

PROPHECIES OF ST. MALACHY. Alleged predictions about future popes by St. Malachy (1094-1148), Archbishop of Armagh. In 1590 there was discovered in Rome a collection of 112 mystical mottoes from the time of Celestine II (reigned 1143-44) until the end of the world, when Peter the Roman will be the last pope. The authenticity of these prophecies is generally questioned, although from the eighteenth century on many of the mottoes were remarkably pertinent. The last prophecy is couched in special terms: “In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed, and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.” There may, however, be an indefinite number of popes between Peter the Roman and his predecessor De Gloria Olivae (from the glory of the olive tree).

PROPHECY. The certain prediction of future events that cannot be known by natural means. However, the biblical meaning of the Hebrew hozeh (prophecy) is more general, namely "vision or “revelation interpreted.” Those who were called upon to prophesy did, indeed, on occasion also foretell future events, but these
predictions fulfilled were divine confirmations of an authentic vision rather than the vision itself. Prophecies as predictions are consequently part of God’s supernatural providence. God, in whose sight all things future are ever present, is able to communicate to his creatures the knowledge that he has. He alone finally has this power, because certain foreknowledge of the contingent future is possessed only by God. Prophecies are the words of his prescience, just as miracles are the work of his omnipotence. Hence a religion supported by prophecies must be divine. (Etym. Greek prophētēs, one who speaks for a god, interpreter, expounder, prophet; literally, one who speaks for another.)

**PRIVATE REVELATIONS. **Supernatural manifestations by God of hidden truths made to private individuals for their own spiritual welfare or that of others. They differ from the public revelation contained in Scripture and tradition which is given on behalf of the whole human race and is necessary for human salvation and sanctification. Although recognized by the Church and, at times, approved by her authority, private revelations are not the object of divine faith that binds one in conscience to believe on God’s authority. The assent given to them, therefore, is either on human evidence or, when formally approved by the Church, on ecclesiastical authority according to the mind of the Church. Private revelations occur as supernatural visions, words, or divine touches. Often it is impossible to distinguish the three forms in practice, especially since they may be received simultaneously.

the Bible says we can’t know when

Not correct I fear… it says we won’t know /exactly/ when, but warns us of the general time…

And the purpose of this is so we can be prepared ahead of time for the disasters and trials surrounding that unknown day and hour. This is what the Holy Scriptures devote themselves to a great deal preparing us for…

However it takes a great deal of wisdom to interpret these prophecies correctly in scripture…

In any case the major signs have not happened yet. If the next Pope is named Peter, then start to worry. :slight_smile:

At the end of time the Church does not fall, but does undergo a great deal of persecution inside and out so many fall away.

What one does to prepare for the most part in any case is simply what one should normally do – live as saintly a life as possible, and fulfill one’s duties in life.

Though if you’re of the survivalist mentality and watched the breakdown of society and the animal like riots after Katrina, you might want to stock up on cans, guns, and blessed sacramentals and head for the mountains. :slight_smile:

“Let no one deceive you in any way, for the day of the Lord will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and is exalted above all that is called God and gives himself out as if he were God” 2 Thes 2:3

“And when the wicked one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will slay with he breath of his mouth and will destroy with the brightness of his coming.” 2Thes 2:8

"Abraham said again, “O Lord, be not angry if I speak once more; what if ten be found there?” He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten.” Gen 18:32

Although Malachy’s prophecies might have been true, the “Peter the Roman” story is surely a fabrication; it wasn’t a part of the original collection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.