St. Maximilian Kolbe's Daily Mass

Good morning,

I have often read that St. Maximilian celebrated a daily Mass while in Auschwitz. Does anyone know how and when he was able to offer it?

Regards and blessings,
Al

I am pretty sure and I may be wrong here that he did it secretively and probably hid the host and missal &c.,

[quote="landon13, post:2, topic:330636"]
I am pretty sure and I may be wrong here that he did it secretively and probably hid the host and missal &c.,

[/quote]

The more substantial problem is likely to be wine (in general, prisoners of concentration camps do not get wine). However, there are some "workarounds"... For example, in his speech in the International Eucharistic Congress in 2000 (kaunoarkivyskupija.lt/index.php?id=334&arch=1&abid=7&aiid=46&back=333), Archbishop of Kaunas Sigitas Tamkevičius SJ says that when he was in KGB prison, he offered Mass using the wine made from raisins.

[quote="MPat, post:3, topic:330636"]
Archbishop of Kaunas Sigitas Tamkevičius SJ says that when he was in KGB prison, he offered Mass using the wine made from raisins.

[/quote]

That's pretty good.

I remember reading in one of his biographies that bread and wine were smuggled in, but I don't think it said how or by whom.

I was fortunate to be able to see the Treasures of the Vatican exhibit in Milwaukee several years ago.

There were many magnificent objects and displays.

But to me and to many others present, the most beautiful and awe-inspiring exhibit was the tin can lid and the brandy snifter (glass) that St. Maximilian Kolbe used to offer Mass at Auschwitz.

I stood before that exhibit for a long time, and so did many others.

I was fortunate to be able to see the Treasures of the Vatican exhibit in Milwaukee several years ago.

There were many magnificent objects and displays.

But to me and to many others present, the most beautiful and awe-inspiring exhibit was the tin can lid and the snifter (some kind of small glass for drinking alcoholic beverages--a shot glass, perhaps?) that St. Maximilian Kolbe used to offer Mass at Auschwitz.

I stood before that exhibit for a long time, and so did many others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.