St. Michael Prayer after Masses

RealCatholicTV points out this piece of good news:

Bishop Paprocki authorizes St. Michael Prayer after Masses

His Excellency the Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in Illinois, has authorized the public recitation of the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel - originally composed by the Holy Father Pope Leo XIII in 1886 - following the dismissal at the end of Mass and before the recession.

One of Satan’s greatest assets is his camouflage, the belief that he doesn’t exist. Disbelief in Satan and the forces of evil leave us unable to resist them. That is why it is good to remember the Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel. We need to remember that each time we pray we work to defeat our real enemies, not each other, but rather the devil and his evil spirits…

St. Michael, pray for us!

I always say it at the end while the priest tells us about what is in the bulletin.

Yep, I always stay long enough after Mass(OF) to say all of the Leonine prayers. Just like after a low Mass(EF).

I say it every morning before I leave home. People start talking right away after OF mass, so I can’t concentrate there.

Our students say it after Mass. :thumbsup:

And when I call on someone to pray at the start of class, often it’s the St. Michael prayer they choose!

This is appropriate for this thread:
From Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel

Short Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel

The well-known short version of this prayer follows in English and Latin. The Pope ordered this prayer to be recited daily after Low Mass in all the churches throughout the Catholic world. However this practice was almost completely swept away in the 1960s by liturgical changes made in the wake of Vatican Council II. 

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen

:signofcross:

A few Churches HAVE retained this practice, even after Vatican II. Saints Peter and Paul Church, in Wilmington, California, is one of those churces. Which is why I attend it when I want a Latin-rite church:yup:

Several Life Teen parishes either say this after Mass is over, or before Mass starts. I’d say “it’s making a resurgence” but we’ve been doing it for eight years or so now.

We say it all the time in the parishes around Northwest Atlanta that I have been to. I would say that it is abnormal not to hear it recited. Our daily Mass usually ends with the St. Michael prayer and then Salve Regina as the recesional hymn. I love it.

There is even a St. Michael the Archangel parish in our area and I occasionally see an SUV or a car with a sticker which says “St. Micheal the Archangel, Defend us in battle” as I drive around.

-Tim-

Let’s hope that more bishops follow his lead!

Pastors too! As long as it is not inserted into the Mass but comes after (or before) it, such as before the recessional hymn, there is no reason why this essential prayer cannot be recited with the congregation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.