St. Michael Prayer

I am very attached to the St. Michael prayer…is it said in your parish at the end of the Mass?

No, but I say it myself. I kneel as soon as the singing is over and for a while I used to say the prayer to myself. It gets so noisy with all the socializing that immediately starts once the Priest has passed - even when the hymn isn’t over yet - that now I have taken to saying the prayer out loud. I was kind of hoping people would recognize that I am in fact praying and at the very least move away, if not actually join in, but no joy.

No, but I wish it was.:frowning: I say it myself a lot, usually at the end of the rosary.

Yes, but only at daily Mass. I am yet to hear it at Sunday Mass.

It is not prayed after the TLM High Mass, but after the TLM Low Mass it is prayed.

I am thinking about writing Monsignor and asking if it is a possibility…

We don’t say it in my parish, but I say it myself quite often. At our daily Mass, we conclude with The Divine Praises, but I say the St. Michael’s prayer myself.

It was standard practice at one time wasn’t it? Anyone know why it was stopped? Was it part of this “let’s not scare people by talking about the Devil” thing that happened post VII???

We don’t say it at my Parish, but I’m sure we could and I keep meaning to talk to my PP. When I go to the Maryvale Institute in Birmingham (where Newman used to live) for my theology studies we pray it there after Mass.

It was part of the mass? Or a prayer that was said after mass was over? Sorry, not old enough to remember before VII.

Our parish says it after the prayers of the faithful during daily mass, but not during Sunday mass.

Me neither! :smiley:

It was said after the mass- the history I know goes like this:

In 1955, the Roman journal Ephemerides Liturgicae (V. LXIX, pages 54-60) published an account in Latin and Italian of how the St. Michael prayer developed. Footnote nine of this account quotes a 1947 article from Fr. Domenico Pechenino who worked at the Vatican during the time of Leo XIII. Writing in 1947 for another Italian journal named La Settimana del Clero, Fr. Pechenino stated the following in Italian:
"I do not remember the exact year. One morning the great Pope Leo XIII had celebrated a Mass and, as usual, was attending a Mass of thanksgiving. Suddenly, we saw him raise his head and stare at something above the celebrant’s head. He was staring motionlessly, without batting an eye. His expression was one of horror and awe; the color and look on his face changing rapidly. Something unusual and grave was happening in him. “Finally, as though coming to his senses, he lightly but firmly tapped his hand and rose to his feet. He headed for his private office. His retinue followed anxiously and solicitously, whispering: ‘Holy Father, are you not feeling well? Do you need anything?’ He answered: ‘Nothing, nothing.’ About half an hour later, he called for the Secretary of the Congregation of Rites and, handing him a sheet of paper, requested that it be printed and sent to all the ordinaries around the world. What was that paper? It was the prayer that we recite with the people at the end of every Mass. It is the plea to Mary and the passionate request to the Prince of the heavenly host, [St. Michael: Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle] beseeching God to send Satan back to hell” There are loads of different stories about what actually happened, but basically it’s this: Leo XIII was celebrating Holy Mass one day. As he was walking up the steps to the altar (some other accounts say he was actually at the altar), the Pope suddenly stopped, stared fixedly at something in the air and with a terrible look on his face, collapsed to the floor (some accounts say he fell shrieking). The Pope was carried off by those around him to another room where he came around. As one rendition of the story tells it:

"When asked what had happened, he explained that, as he was about to leave the foot of the altar, he suddenly heard voices - two voices, one kind and gentle, the other guttural and harsh. They seemed to come from near the tabernacle. As he listened, he heard the following conversation: The guttural voice, the voice of Satan in his pride, boasted to Our Lord: "I can destroy your Church.“
The gentle voice of Our Lord: 'You can? Then go ahead and do so.'
Satan: 'To do so, I need more time and more power.'
Our Lord: 'How much time? How much power?'
Satan: '75 to 100 years, and a greater power over those who will give themselves over to my service.'
Our Lord: ‘You have the time, you will have the power. Do with them what you will.’”

I used to say it after reciting the rosary on Sundays. Also, since joining an Airborne unit in the Army, I’ve made a habit of carrying a St. Michael holy card and praying the prayer before all combat patrols and training jumps.

I haven’t been blown up by an IED or injured on a jump yet, so thanks, St. Michael!

Yes, but people only say the prayer during weekday.

Nope, but my family and I say it on our own after every Mass.

It’s not, but if I remember to open the back cover of my Missal it’s printed there and I say it. I just can’t seem to remember the obscure Catholic prayers no matter how much I try. It took me a year of everyday to finally remember the Hail, Holy Queen.

emp.

We say it at our parish, after the end of Mass, but before the recessional hymn ( pretty much as the altar boys are forming up for the recessional)

Mass ends with the “Ite Missa est”. The St. Michael prayer, like the Last Gospel, occured after this point, so it happend after Mass.

Also, it was only prescribed to be said after Low Mass, so many Sunday Masses do not have it for that reason. I have found that it is still said after daily Mass in a lot of parishes, TLM or otherwise. :thumbsup:

It is said after weekday mass at my home parish, but not at the church near work where I try to go during the week.

It was offically suppressed in 1964 but did not take effect worldwide until the Novus Ordo was promulgated.

j. The last gospel is omitted; the Leonine Prayers are suppressed.
adoremus.org/Interoecumenici.html

We say it at my parish after Mass on Sundays!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.