St. Patrick Was Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic

orthodoxinfo.com/general/irishorthodoxchurch.aspx

About the same time that the missionaries were traveling to and from Candida Casa amidst all this maritime activity, a young man named Patrick was captured by an Irish raiding party that sacked the far northwestern coasts of Britain, and he was carried back to Ireland to be sold as a slave. While suffering in exile in conditions of slavery for years, this deacon’s son awoke to the Christian faith he had been reared in. His zeal was so strong that, after God granted him freedom in a miraculous way, his heart was fired with a deep love for the people he had lived among, and he yearned to bring them to the light of the Gospel Truth. After spending some time in the land of Gaul in the Monastery of Lérins, St. Patrick (†451), was consecrated to the episcopacy. He returned to Ireland and preached with great fervor throughout the land, converting many local chieftains and forming many monastic communities, especially convents.

It was during the time immediately following St. Patrick’s death, in the latter part of the 5th century, that God’s Providence brought all the separate streams of Christianity in Ireland into one mighty rushing river.

I wandered into this site and had a chuckle…everyone wants to claim St. Patrick…kind of like Augustine and Calvin…

this should bring some interesting discussion…any thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=w53eaWOUzCE

shira.net/culture/symbols.htm#Shamrock

:smiley:

Abucs,

this was pretty funny…:smiley:

Sweet Rosy o’ Grady!!! Those links really do indeed strike the funny bone!!
Good gravy! :rolleyes:

What next? :shrug:

I’m not a fan of Orthodoxinfo, but St. Patrick was Orthodox. He was certainly a Western Christian, but that was Orthodox at the time.
Your objection is along the lines of someone arguing that St. John Chrysostom was not Catholic.

St Patrick?

I'm willing to fight for him though we shouldn't have to.

Nine,

Relax, take a deep breath…where do you see in the OP that there is an objection…?

He was a citizen of Rome ya know…

Anyone who claims St. Patrick was Protestant knows nothing about him.

As Nine Two said, he was Catholic as much as he was Orthodox. There was no distinction then. It’s the same with Ss. Columba, Brigid, Ambrose, Pope Gregory the Great, and a host of others.

How can a church claim a Saint was a protestant? I do find it funny when protestant churches reject Saints, yet have churches named after Saints and keep their names and memories and such.

Citizen of Rome who studied in Gaul (modern France). Orthodox as distinct from Catholic didn’t exist then, neither did Protestant. But Catholic most certainly existed and Catholic Patrick was.

Patrick was Holy. Hmmmmmmmmmm............. he had to be Catholic.;)

Well technically they are all correct.

There was only one Church at the time of St Patrick, so it’s reasonable for people to “clam” him.

What is the point of this topic? It seems to exist purely to cause enmity.

[quote="Indifferently, post:13, topic:311307"]
What is the point of this topic? It seems to exist purely to cause enmity.

[/quote]

Well, he was actually English.
So that makes him Anglican...
;)

Exactly :slight_smile:

I do not know of too many Protestants who feel it necessary to get permission from the Pope to evangelize a country. But that is exactly what Patrick did :smiley:

I didn’t notice this till now. Who wants Calvin? Seriously? People fight over TULIP? Orthodox definitely don’t claim him, y’all can keep him and his…doctrines.

You seem to find the idea amusing. That implies you have an objection. I didn’t read the whole article, but I doubt Orthodoxinfo would be making claims for Protestants. :wink:

[quote="benjammin, post:9, topic:311307"]
How can a church claim a Saint was a protestant? I do find it funny when protestant churches reject Saints, yet have churches named after Saints and keep their names and memories and such.

[/quote]

Anglicans accept saints, and as a major Protestant church in the region, that might be the source of the claim.

Usually protestants who reject the saints do not name their churches after them.

Jon

I think Coptic meant Calvin claiming Augustine, not others trying to claim him.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.