St. Pat's falls on a Friday!

Uh…what does this mean? I can’t think clearly about this–I’m far too biased. Since Fridays are fast days, abstaining from alcohol is expected, right?

Oh man, this is going to take heroic virtue…

It takes heroic virtue to avoid getting drunk, avoid destroying brain cells, avoid calling Huey and Ralph up out of the toilet bowl?

I don’t get it. :confused:

DaveBj

[quote=DaveBj]It takes heroic virtue to avoid getting drunk, avoid destroying brain cells, avoid calling Huey and Ralph up out of the toilet bowl?

I don’t get it. :confused:

DaveBj
[/quote]

No, that doesn’t take heroic virtue. But a couple of beers?

Ah well, that’s what Lent is all about–sacrifice.

St. Patrick’s Day is a feast day, chances are you will have a dispensation to break your fast pertaining to meat eating. But typically Saints feast days are there for feastign and enjoying the day. I would ask your Diocese.

The Lenten Friday abstinence is from meat. Only. I’ve never seen anything to suggest that abstinence from alcohol falls under that heading.

On a related note, though, getting drunk is always a mortal sin, whether it’s Lent or any other season. Please don’t take offense-- it just wasn’t clear to me if your intention was to just down a beer or two in honor of St. Pat or to get smashed, which is how some people, sadly, “celebrate” the day.

Margaret

[quote=Red Meg]The Lenten Friday abstinence is from meat. Only. I’ve never seen anything to suggest that abstinence from alcohol falls under that heading.

On a related note, though, getting drunk is always a mortal sin, whether it’s Lent or any other season. Please don’t take offense-- it just wasn’t clear to me if your intention was to just down a beer or two in honor of St. Pat or to get smashed, which is how some people, sadly, “celebrate” the day.

Margaret
[/quote]

Hmm. For some reason I picked up somewhere that “abstinance” refers to alcohol as well. Well, this is good news, I suppose.

As for drunkenness, yes, I understand. I don’t want to get drunk, I don’t like being drunk, I don’t think getting drunk is “cool.” (Anymore…you know how college was…) However, that line seems to be so hard to define. Two or three pints don’t make me “drunk” by my own subjective definition, and as one who hates subjective definitions, that has always given me pause.

I suppose there’s a thread around here somewhere that discusses this…

Even if it were a fast day, unless your beer is thick enough to chew, it would be allowed just as other liquids are permitted. Like any other liquid beer should be taken in moderation. I continue to fail to understand why a Saint’s feast day is used as an invalid excuse for getting smashed. I like my beer, but there are civilized limits on both the quantity and ones behavior.

Already discussed here on this thread

Lent and St. Patricks Day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.