St Paul on 1 Corinthians

What does St Paul mean when he says " But if they do not contain themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to be burnt." 1 Corinthians 7 verse 9?

I don’t understand

I believe the correct wording is “better to marry than to burn.”

Anyway, I think it could be understood to mean not to burn with desire or not to fall into sexual sin and (therefore) burn with sin.

But, I’m not an expert, only wanted to correct your wording and give my understanding.

He’s talking about people who struggle with sexual desires saying that it is better to have those desires in the context of marriage where you can have a healthy release of sexual desire for your spouse.

I think he’s saying it’s better for people to marry than to burn with passion which will tempt them to commit sexual sins

He is speaking of the priesthood. Those who can be celibate should answer the call. But those who cant contain themselves should not condemn themselves by making a vow they cant keep and burn. They should instead marry.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.