St. Paul

What did St. Paul do for the three after being knocked off his horse?

What did the early Church say, if anything?

thanks

I’ve never read that St. Paul fell off his horse. I know, famous artists, i.e. Carvaggio, have painted it that way—artistic license. :shrug:

As I made my journey and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. And **I fell to the ground **and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? (Acts 22:6-7)

No mention of 3, I think you mean 3 hours----

I replied, ‘Who are you, sir?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazorean whom you are persecuting.’
My companions saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who spoke to me.
I asked, ‘What shall I do, sir?’ The Lord answered me, ‘Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told about everything appointed for you to do.
Since I could see nothing because of the brightness of that light, I was led by hand by my companions and entered Damascus. Acts 22: 8-11

My mistake,

But what did he pray or do for the three years?

Thanks

It would help us if you can tell us where you get the number 3 from and also years.

The narrative thread in Acts of the Apostles covers a 29 year time frame.

Acts 1:1 to 8:3 covers two years
Acts 8:4 to 12:25 covers ten years.
Acts 13:1 to 28:31 covers seventeen years.

Acts 9 makes it clear that Saul entered Damascus after meeting Jesus on the road.

Saul arose from the ground; and when his eyes were opened, he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. (Acts 9:8)

Paul himself tells us that he went to Arabia and then went back to Damascus and then went to Jerusalem after three years.

But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and had called me through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia; and again I returned to Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and remained with him fifteen days.(Galatians 1:15-18)

Putting it all together, Paul went to Damascus after seeing Jesus on the road, went to Arabia, then back to Damascus for three years and then to Jerusalem. I have read that he spent this time studying the OT scriptures where he discerned God’s plan to send his Son into the world and learned about Jesus from the other Christians.

I am open to correction or other clearer explanations.

-Tim-

Thanks

And thanks for your patience!

I am not sure where the idea of a horse comes from, but I have held this idea for decades, OOPS,

When we read St Paul’s epistles, we come to the conclusion that he spent those three years with the risen Jesus. The Twelve spent three years with Jesus; St Paul did likewise. This is why his sponsorship was no less than theirs. People would put the Twelve above him; therefore, He constantly had to defend his office.

How can you possibly come to that conclusion? There is nothing in Scripture that states or even suggests that.

Paul (Saul) was sent there by the High Priest himself- according to some theories, the High Priest Jonathan.

He carried semi-diplomatic papers. He might well have been riding a horse.

A lot of the time interval is derived from Galatians.

Saul returned to Jerusalem, as the converted Paul, after three years in Damascus and environs.

It is an opinion based upon what I stated at the end. It is an onion. If anyone disagrees, that is fine. I do not think anything can be substantiated on this question; therefore, all we can give is opinion. We do not have to come across in a condescending manner.

No worries! Once, I read an article, written by a prominent teacher of the Bible, he said—Protestants believe St. Paul fell to the ground, Catholics believe St. Paul fell from his horse to the ground. The teacher noticed this trend class after class. However, there is no mention of a horse. Yet, he could have fallen from a horse, and the horse is simply not mentioned. :confused:

1. I doubt that he went back to his job to resign with the reason given as having become Christian. So, perhaps, he traveled/stayed with other Christians for a spell until the coast was clear(er).

2. He was going through metamorphosis for the renewing of his mind and heart. :wink:

PJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.