St Paul

Hi,
A priest was talking about sin and how St. Paul wanted God to take something away from him, (he never mentioned what) but God refused, saying he had the grace to handle it.
Part of the interest is because I battle with at times being judgemental without realizing it and listening to gossip, although other things have lessened considerably. Does anyone know where in the Bible those passages are? I found one from St James about sins of the tongue but I’d like to meditate on this passage also.
Thanks!

Hi debaran!

I believe the text to which your priest may have been referring is the following:

6 For though I should have a mind to glory, I shall not be foolish; for I will say the truth. But I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth in me, or any thing he heareth from me. 7 And lest the greatness of the revelations should exalt me, there was given me a sting of my flesh, an angel of Satan, to buffet me. 8 For which thing thrice I besought the Lord, that it might depart from me. 9 And he said to me: My grace is sufficient for thee; for power is made perfect in infirmity. Gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 For which cause I please myself in my infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ. For when I am weak, then am I powerful.

That’s from 2 Corinthians 12:6-9. I happened to be looking at the Douay Rheims translation when I came across your question, hence the language.

It’s a powerful passage and one that I have to meditate on a lot!

God bless!

Thank you!!! That sounds like it. To be humbled also keeps you close to God, just realizing you can’t do anything without his help.

This passage also has interesting implications for sanctifying grace, in that God’s grace was sufficient for Paul to resist sin, and yet the temptation to sin was ever and always present. One may speculate as to what precisely Paul’s sin was, but this passage underscores that the perseverance of the saints came at a price and required the active vigilance of those beset by sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.