St. Pelagius

Whereas the historical record of Pelagius’s contribution to our theological tradition is shrouded in the political ambition of his theological antagonists who sought to discredit what they felt was a threat to the empire, and their ecclesiastical dominance, and whereas an understanding of his life and writings might bring more to bear on his good standing in our tradition, and whereas his restitution as a viable theological voice within our tradition might encourage a deeper understanding of sin, grace, free will, and the goodness of God’s creation, and whereas in as much as the history of Pelagius represents to some the struggle for theological exploration that is our birthright as Anglicans, Be it resolved, that this 105th Annual Council of the Diocese of Atlanta appoint a committee of discernment overseen by our Bishop, to consider these matters as a means to honor the contributions of Pelagius and reclaim his voice in our tradition And be it further resolved that this committee will report their conclusions at the next Annual Council.

episcopalatlanta.org/Content/Resolutions_submitted_by_10_5_2011.asp

Episcopalians, are you trying to canonise Pelagius?

[quote="Credo_ergo_sum, post:1, topic:278379"]
episcopalatlanta.org/Content/Resolutions_submitted_by_10_5_2011.asp

Episcopalians, are you trying to canonise Pelagius?

[/quote]

I wonder if they are severing their own Augustinian roots and putting more distance between themselves and 'Geneva'.

Or put more distance between themselves and Christianity.

Well, Pelagius was definitely a Christian, probably misunderstood in some ways and wrong in others.

Nevertheless, I think it’s a little goofy of them to make a great deal out of the man.

As for distancing themselves from Christianity, I do get your point. There is something strange afoot in TEC.

I find it interesting that there are several Catholic Churches in Ireland that are named after St Morgan; who is also known as Pelagius (Latin) / St Morgan (Celtic).

St Morgan seem to have more in common with eastern orthodox theology than with his western peers.

Br Mark,OSB

Perhaps they just want to be able to claim someone from the early era’s of the church as their own?

In spite of its Calvinist beginnings, the Anglican Church has an incredibly Pelagian outlook in some circles.

Well, Pelagius was definitely a Christian, probably misunderstood in some ways and wrohttp://www.dubaa.info/iPad.gif

Hello brother!

That is interesting information.

Pelagius may have been misunderstood, it is very likely that he had a following in the Catholic/Orthodox church long after his tussle with Saint Augustine. Modern Roman Catholics are sensitive to criticism from Protestants, who would accuse them of being Pelagians or Semi-Pelagians, but the Protestant outlook is likely to be colored by Calvinism, which relies heavily on Augustine.

Although he may have been in error in some ways (most of his words are lost to us), many scholars believe that he was likely just orthodox and his position was misunderstood or not well appreciated in the western Mediterranean region. But not everyone was in a rush to condemn him, saint John Cassian for one, and he was not so vigorously attacked in the east.

In fact, there are actually two Popes who carry the name Pelagius, both from *after *the condemnation of Pelagius the ‘heretic’, and both from the Byzantine era of the Papacy.

It is really hard to believe that anyone carrying a despised heresiarchs name would make it to the throne, or use it as a reign name. There are no Pope Arius, or Pope Luther for example, and oddly enough never yet a Pope Augustine :shrug:.

That there should be surviving parishes named in the man’s honor does not really surprise me.

I wonder if they are severing their own Augustinian roots and putting more distance between themselves and 'Geneva'.http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.