st. peter

this is a stupid question which probably everyone know but me ~ why did Jesus choose St. Peter to be the first pope even after he denied Him three times ?

thanks,

louise

It’s a fine question :slight_smile:

The only answer I can give is that God does as he pleases. None of the apostles were perfect - in fact it seems like they didn’t really understand what Christ was until after his glorious Resurrection. Peter must have had certain character traits which Christ saw as fitting for the first Pope.

I’ll let someone more knowledgeable answer though, there might be other reasons I’m not thinking of.

But suffice to say that Christ did have a special relationship with Peter, as the Gospels show so clearly :thumbsup:

It was Simon [Peter] who said “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Mt 16:16), the first apostle to do so. Since this truth was revealed to him by the Father (Mt 16:17), he spoke with authority and thus it was fitting that he should hold a position of authority (“the rock”).

St. Peter denied his Lord after he was proclaimed “the rock” of the church.

One of the most encouraging things I can think of when I contemplate all the sins I have committed is that Jesus chose as the first Pope the guy who expressly denied Him three times during His Passion.

Maybe that’s why Jesus chose him.

My opinion: he was a scrapper e.g. when he cut of the Roman soldier’s ear. He also wanted to walk to the Lord upon the water. You’d need someone like that, to see the infant Church through rough times.

*[From memory]: * He also seems to be a de-facto leader;only John seems more prominent amongst the apostles, but not in the same way. Peter asked the Lord, of John: “And what shall this one do?” and Jesus said: “What is that to you?”

Just my 2p. Interesting, the little human touches in the Gospels.

Thanks everyone

l.

Hi Onyx88.

I’ve often thought the following 2 passages from sacred scripture, when considered together, (quotes here are from the New American Bible [highlights are mine] ) give us one possible way of understanding that question:

Luke 7: 40-43

Jesus said to him in reply, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” “Tell me, teacher,” he said.
"Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days’ wages and the other owed fifty.
Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?"
Simon said in reply, “The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven.” He said to him, “You have judged rightly.” *

John 21: 15-17

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, "Feed my lambs."
He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, "Tend my sheep."
He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep.

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.